Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H2N advice regarding concerts  (Read 24327 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom H2N advice regarding concerts
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
Lighten up, db.  It's a joke.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »
Lighten up, db.  It's a joke.

lighten up what? what do i care?  i just thought that the dissing of the kid's gear in favor of something not that much better (as depicted here) is not really helpful.

don't worry capn'  i'll sleep tonight.
db

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
I don't want anybody to smash the internals of their deck if they come here seeking advice. Posting here indicates some level of seriousness about our hobby. I was merely trying to make a point while being light hearted and fun. Why mince words with a  :zombie02: if they're seeking advice? I hope the OP gets some mics so the tapes are good and I want to hear them. During Gary Clark Jr on Sunday, a dude came up to me that had a mic taped to his hat while we were openly high and proud. Wanted to talk about using low cut. I obliged. We both talked all over his tape, I'm sure it's garbage, but the next one will be better. Mission accomplished.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
OK I'll put in my .02 It is possible to make a good tape with a H4n. She is a sensitive creature who needs to be touched in just the right way. Obviously the  :zombie02: is for those who put them on their hats, or placed on tabletops or other equally nonsensical locations. Have a little patience with the zoomie noobies. we all start somewhere. In a few years maybe they will actually learn enough to teach you a lil some'in, some'in!
Or maybe not??

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
Eh, I'll still carry a tube of superglue in my gearbag, in case a  :zombie02: asks to borrow some.

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »
Hey, don't forget me and Bry's recent "stealth matrix" done with H4n internals for the aud portion. Stills sounds damned good! Like you said once, "the crappiest gear in the best spot makes the best tape"

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 10:42:27 AM »
Hey, don't forget me and Bry's recent "stealth matrix" done with H4n internals for the aud portion. Stills sounds damned good! Like you said once, "the crappiest gear in the best spot makes the best tape"

Necessity breeds innovation. If we could've run mics in the air, we would've. BUT, given the circumstances that is a nice tape. Farg it, it's a great tape!  :cheers:
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 12:05:24 PM »
You are right about that guys.  I have a buddy that is a  :zoomie1: , and I always snatch a copy of his source to add to my matrix.  He knows how to use it well, and makes some very decent sounding recordings.  He flies it really high, and has the most unusual mount and windscreen that he barn-jobbed up to replace what was broken or lost.  He's on my A-list, like a whole bunch of y'all.....

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
SO what was the original question? I lost track with all the  :zombie02:  >:D Aren't ya glad you came here for help now???

Offline Justinovitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
SO what was the original question? I lost track with all the  :zombie02:  >:D Aren't ya glad you came here for help now???
Haha, I AM glad! I will get myself a set of CA mics + batt box in the future, but for now, I'll use a Sony ECM-719 ( got it real cheap second hand + selling my DSP30 mic ) as a beginners mic. I picked the Sony ECM-719 because I downloaded a bunch of bootlegs recorded with that mic and they all sound good. I don't know if all of those tapers clipped the mic to their collar though ( like I want to do ). Then again, where else would they clip it? A hat or glasses or something?

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »
Haha, I AM glad! I will get myself a set of CA mics + batt box in the future, but for now, I'll use a Sony ECM-719 ( got it real cheap second hand + selling my DSP30 mic ) as a beginners mic. I picked the Sony ECM-719 because I downloaded a bunch of bootlegs recorded with that mic and they all sound good. I don't know if all of those tapers clipped the mic to their collar though ( like I want to do ). Then again, where else would they clip it? A hat or glasses or something?

Justinovitch, the term "bootleg" is frowned on around here, as I'm sure you will come to realize when you spend more time around this community.  I look forward to hearing some of your archival recordings, after you make them and make them available.

Whatever you do, don't clip your mic to your backside....you will make a recording that sounds like "arse"  ;D

Find the sweet sounding spot, be still, and tape away..... :coolguy:

Have fun, Kevin.

Offline Justinovitch

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »

Justinovitch, the term "bootleg" is frowned on around here, as I'm sure you will come to realize when you spend more time around this community.  I look forward to hearing some of your archival recordings, after you make them and make them available.

Whatever you do, don't clip your mic to your backside....you will make a recording that sounds like "arse"  ;D

Find the sweet sounding spot, be still, and tape away..... :coolguy:

Have fun, Kevin.
Crap, I already knew about that, sorry! I will use the word recording from now on ;) And thanks for all the advice guys!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:37:35 PM by Justinovitch »

Offline SMBTapes

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 12:39:42 PM »
I know I'm extremely late on the topic, but I wanted to add my two cent for any newcomers that may stumble across this thread like I just did.

From my personal experience, I don't see why the Zoom H2n gets all the hate it does when using the internal mics.
Maybe it's because I listen to/record classic rock gigs, as opposed to the metal gigs mentioned by the original poster.
I've only recorded one gig so far, and it came out great.
There is also another recorder in the area that is on DIME and about 90% of his uploads rival soundboard quality with plenty of bass/low end.
Are people just not checking/adjusting the recording levels as soon as the show starts, resulting in brickwalled captures?

Now, I have heard a decent amount of subpar recordings with the Zoom H2...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:41:50 PM by SMBTapes »
Zoom H2n w/ Internal Mics > Wintec FileMate Professional 32GB Class 10 SD/HC Memory Card

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »
I know I'm extremely late on the topic, but I wanted to add my two cent for any newcomers that may stumble across this thread like I just did.

From my personal experience, I don't see why the Zoom H2n gets all the hate it does when using the internal mics.
Maybe it's because I listen to/record classic rock gigs, as opposed to the metal gigs mentioned by the original poster.
There is also another recorder in the area that is on DIME and about 90% of his uploads rival soundboard quality with plenty of bass/low end.
Are people just not checking/adjusting the recording levels as soon as the show starts, resulting in brickwalled captures?

it's because portions of this board have a hard-on for expensive gear and love shitting on anyone who isn't running a $1000+ rig. see the 20+ page thread bashing recordings posted to DIME for more
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:48 PM »

Record a show side by side with someone running real mics and compare the results.  The internal mics WILL NOT make a soundboard quality recording of anything besides pink noise.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com