Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any wendt x2 users??  (Read 5678 times)

Offline jhfinn

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
Any wendt x2 users??
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »
Hey now,

Just recently picked up a used wendt x2 and wonder if anyone here has experience using them for concert recording?
I plan on using a pair of DPA 4021s with it.  Hoping someone can shed some light on what I should set the switches to. Each xlr input on the side has a 0/10/20 switch. Not sure which setting is appropriate for what we do. Also the front of the preamp has a 140/20/100 switch for each channel. Any help would be appreciated. I know this pre is primarily used for eng work so I think if I don't set these switches properly I run the risk of overloading.
Regards,
Jim
Mics:Neumann KM150x2...LC3KA actives x4
Pres:Audioroot Femto(L)
Recorders: Edirol R44/Sony PCM-D50
Retired: Sony D10pro2 modified/ Sony TCD-D8

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Any wendt x2 users??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156456.0;all

A fair amount of discussion here and a few owners you could probably reach out too. Sounds like the things to watch out for are clipping the inputs (you might need to run the pads), sensitive gain knobs, and, most importantly, reverse polarity if using external power.

Offline jhfinn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156456.0;all

A fair amount of discussion here and a few owners you could probably reach out too. Sounds like the things to watch out for are clipping the inputs (you might need to run the pads), sensitive gain knobs, and, most importantly, reverse polarity if using external power.

I did a search and saw someone mention padding the mics but I'm not sure if I can do that with the DPAs because of the electronics inside the xlrs??
I've been  taping since 91 and have used almost every portable pre available but this box is confusing me hahaha

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
I think they mean the "0, 10, 20" switches below the xlr inputs.

http://www.wendtinc.net/x2inst2.htm

3. Preamplifier Gain – The switch labeled 10 20 0 controls the preamplifier gain where 0 is maximum gain, 10 reduces the gain by 10db, and 20 reduces the gain by 20db. The 10 and 20 positions are typically used for powered mics.

From the limited instructions on the web, it's not clear if these are attenuation pads, reducing the incoming signal, or simply reducing the amount of gain provided. A block diagram would help.

With the 402x's series, you should be able to use any xlr inline attenuator specified for use with phantom powering microphones.

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
I run the Wendt X2 > M10.  There are several of us out there.  I just put a PGroove show in the Kickdown if you want to sample.  It's Dropbox, and sorry I did not zip them..it's track by track.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=162099.0

The 140/20/100 selection is the low cut filters.  It's 12db per octave.  20 is flat to 20Hz.   100 and 140 are, obviously, 100Hz and 140Hz.  The 10/20/0 zero selection is pre-amp gain.  0 is max gain.  10 is max -10db, and 20 is max -20db.  Per instructions....10 and 20 are typically used for powered mics. I run it -20dB.

I run the faders anywhere between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock.  9 o'clock onstage and 12 farther back. They are very touchy knobs.  I run AT8202 pads in front of this box.  I know others that do not.....I know I have clipped a few recordings w/o pads ....so I just run them in front.  I have it dialed in with the M10 so -9 on the Wendt is -9 on the M10 using the Wendt's mini plug mic out into the M10's Mic in.  M10 gain = 4 and Mic in set to Hi sens.  I run it this way for a compact set up. 

6 AA cells seem to run a verrry long time w/ phantom 48.  I've never run rechargeable cells...so I have no idea what to expect there.  The battery meter is pretty good for alkalines. During normal operation the Power lamp will slowly cycle yellow.  The external power is reverse polarity.  If you do run line out...the reference tone feature is very handy. 

The meters are freakin' bright blue......you can adjust the brightness to Hi/Low/Off. 

It's a well made and very solid box...you can drive over it....

Anyway....I hope that answers a few of your question...maybe some other users will chime in.  This is an ENG box....but can fill the roll of pre for our purposes.  FWIW  I use the Wendt when I'm not using an RNP8380.  RNP8380 offers punch, where the Wendt offers transparency. 

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
Has anyone opened this up?

I'm curious what the "front end" is like on the Mic inputs.  In particular, is it a "discrete" (transistor) front end or an INA or SSM chip.
I've noticed a big difference, namely, the transistor front end is low noise, but the quality/detail if often not there (*).

(*) Sample based on Creative/EMU and AD20, both of which have OK, but not great, transistor front ends.  I've also tried Presonus Firebox/Firepod.  These have a better transistor front end, but none as good as something the INA163, for example.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jhfinn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
I run the Wendt X2 > M10.  There are several of us out there.  I just put a PGroove show in the Kickdown if you want to sample.  It's Dropbox, and sorry I did not zip them..it's track by track.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=162099.0

The 140/20/100 selection is the low cut filters.  It's 12db per octave.  20 is flat to 20Hz.   100 and 140 are, obviously, 100Hz and 140Hz.  The 10/20/0 zero selection is pre-amp gain.  0 is max gain.  10 is max -10db, and 20 is max -20db.  Per instructions....10 and 20 are typically used for powered mics. I run it -20dB.

I run the faders anywhere between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock.  9 o'clock onstage and 12 farther back. They are very touchy knobs.  I run AT8202 pads in front of this box.  I know others that do not.....I know I have clipped a few recordings w/o pads ....so I just run them in front.  I have it dialed in with the M10 so -9 on the Wendt is -9 on the M10 using the Wendt's mini plug mic out into the M10's Mic in.  M10 gain = 4 and Mic in set to Hi sens.  I run it this way for a compact set up. 

6 AA cells seem to run a verrry long time w/ phantom 48.  I've never run rechargeable cells...so I have no idea what to expect there.  The battery meter is pretty good for alkalines. During normal operation the Power lamp will slowly cycle yellow.  The external power is reverse polarity.  If you do run line out...the reference tone feature is very handy. 

The meters are freakin' bright blue......you can adjust the brightness to Hi/Low/Off. 

It's a well made and very solid box...you can drive over it....

Anyway....I hope that answers a few of your question...maybe some other users will chime in.  This is an ENG box....but can fill the roll of pre for our purposes.  FWIW  I use the Wendt when I'm not using an RNP8380.  RNP8380 offers punch, where the Wendt offers transparency.

That does help thanks. That's raises another question though. The box has a 1/4in headphone out with its own gain dial on the side, an 1/8in headphone out on the front, a 1/8in mic out and an 1/8in tape return in addition to the xlr outs. Why no 1/8in line out?  When sending a line level to a recorder like the M10 with a 1/8in mini input which should I use? Id rather have the M10 set to line in than mic in....no?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:40:54 PM by jhfinn »

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:26:32 AM »
I see your point.  Line out is selectable only through the balanced outputs.  I guess using the M10 mic in is a matter of debate....but it pairs well with the Wendt's 1/8 mic out, with only a modest amount of gain added on the M10.  I tend to make any final gain adjustments using the M10's dial (like 4 to 4.25 or 4.5), as the Wendt's fader knobs are very touchy.  Once set I'm good to go.  Take a listen to a track I posted for the PG show...

That said...I'm probably the only one who runs it like that.  YMMV. Another member, Beeco, runs one and he has some good experience using it.  Another opinion would be nice.  Oddly enough he runs the same pairing of AT4051>Wendt X2.

Offline jhfinn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:51:22 AM »
I see your point.  Line out is selectable only through the balanced outputs.  I guess using the M10 mic in is a matter of debate....but it pairs well with the Wendt's 1/8 mic out, with only a modest amount of gain added on the M10.  I tend to make any final gain adjustments using the M10's dial (like 4 to 4.25 or 4.5), as the Wendt's fader knobs are very touchy.  Once set I'm good to go.  Take a listen to a track I posted for the PG show...

That said...I'm probably the only one who runs it like that.  YMMV. Another member, Beeco, runs one and he has some good experience using it.  Another opinion would be nice.  Oddly enough he runs the same pairing of AT4051>Wendt X2.

Thanks...that sample sounds really good nice job! I ran AT 4051s and 53s for years. Very nice sounding mics. Wish I still had them. Taped a bunch of wsp shows back in 95-98 with them before I picked up a pair of mg m300s. My friend Bob still has the ATs so if I wanted I could always borrow them:-)
I think I'll look to pickup a recorder with xlr inputs like a pmd661 so I can record line in. Both my Sony recorders have mini inputs which is fine for my sonosax since it has a mini line out.
Regards,
Jim

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »
I use two wendt mixers, and I'm happy with their performance.  I use sd's occasionally, and a cooper cs104.  Depends on the source, but I've run my wendt x2 with schoeps mics many times with fine results.  It has good I/O for a mixer that size.  The pots are easy to turn because it was designed for ENG and you have to ride levels to avoid phase issues.  It works well for music, too.  The best  way to learn is use it!

Best,

John

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
I used one for almost a year, recorded a dozen or so shows with it, nice little box. I sold it to get a Oade modified PMD 661. here is a show I recorded with it.
http://archive.org/details/RD2008-03-29.RD08-03-29_Syracuse_AKG391

I always used the -20db switch and if my mics had any attenuator on them I would use that as well, this would allow me to have more headroom with the gain pots.
which are sensitive as others have mentioned. I only used the 100 bass roll off once when I was FOB and it was extremely loud. I would get 10 -12 hours with 6 AA's.

Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
I run a Wendt X2 regularly and love the results.

I run mine sort of the same way Bluewingolive does, but I don't use additional attenuators and I run line out rather than mic out.  20hz on the high pass, -20db on the pad.  I keep the dials over around 7-8pm, which is very low, and run the Edirol R-09hr around what I think is the unity gain setting of about 35 (out of 100), and adjust from there with input levels on the recorder.

I run line out on the XLR's and use a custom Darktrain cable that goes 2ch XLR to stereo 1/8 and run line in to the R-09hr. 

With a 9v DVD battery I can get over 8 hours of run time with phantom on.  I've never run it with AA's.

I have a few samples on etree - not sure what torrents might still be active.
http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=beeco&cat=0

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:01:08 PM by beeco »
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »
No experience running a Wendy x2, but when I had my old lemosax, I used to run XLR>1/8" outs to my m10s line in, and it was very easy to run. Now that I have 2 x LBs I run 1/8" out on both because its just easier.

So what I'm saying is, don't be afraid to run XLR outs>1/8" line in on your recorder like beeco does ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »
Here is a Schoeps>WendtX2 recording I did a few years ago. 

I finally got around to up'ing this to etree.  This is one of my better pulls and really showcases the most excellent house sound at the Bluegrass Ranch.

Dang, I haven't uploaded a torrent in a while.  Let me know if I got it right.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=565202

Doc Watson
Rocky Grass Bluegrass Festival
Lyons, CO
Saturday, 7/24/2010
Source: MK4>KC5>CMC6>WendtX2>R-09HR (24/48)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:47:52 PM by beeco »
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
I knew my Wendt brother would chime in, eventually.   :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com