Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: [SP-SPSB-11]Should I be using it?  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
[SP-SPSB-11]Should I be using it?
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »
Hi guys, I was wondering if some of you could help me.
I've been using a Edirol R-09 with a SP-CMC-2, but I have a Battery Box here, next sunday I'll be recording a gig and I was thinking about maybe use it, but as I've never used, I am kinda lost.
Does the BB have a better Roll-off Frequenc I should be using?
Here are what it has

16Hz (no roll-off) 2,3,4
69Hz 1,4
95Hz 1,3
107Hz 1,3,4
160Hz 1,2
195Hz 1,2,4
888Hz 1,2,3

I was thinking about recording using 16Hz and it brings another question, how do I open it? I attached a pic, am I using the right frequency (16Hz)?
Pic of the battery box:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8396/3st3.jpg

Also, does anyone have any idea about how many hours does the battery (1.5V) work? I sent an email to SoundPro but no one answered me.
Edirol R09
SP-CMC-2
SP-SPSB-11

nathan_g

Re: [SP-SPSB-11]Should I be using it?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »
I'd most definitely use it. You might consider not using the built-in rolloff though - setting the switches as you have for 16hz is essentially the same as no rolloff. If you do use the battery box for rolloff, the results can end up a bit heavy handed...it's all too easy to make your recording sound 'tinny'. You can easily do a better job using audio editing software. What frequency to start with is dependent on the type of music, venue, whatever sounds best to your ears. Looking to remove 'rumble' rather than bass, I personally start somewhere around 50hz and go from there. Read up on using 'low cut' or 'high pass filters'.

Judging from the pic it looks like you got it open.

From the soundpro's site: Power module has 30-50 hour battery life, depending on microphones used.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-11

Here's a link for the manual:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/instructions/SP-SPSB-1.html

Offline Alex_D

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »
Thank you for the reply, really helped a lot!
I'll read about "Low Cut" and "HPF" too.

Once again, thank you so much!
Edirol R09
SP-CMC-2
SP-SPSB-11

nathan_g

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »
Good luck with your recording!

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
I have basically that same batt box w/ no rolloff (SP-SPSB-2).  I've gotten 25+ hours from a single battery using it w/ SP-CMC-1 mics.  YMMV.
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
Go mics--> battery box-->Line-in without bass roll-off (or 16 Hz). Those mics roll off the bass at 40 Hz. 

The only reason for bass roll-off, unless you really know the room is excessively bass-y and you have a good idea of which frequency to roll off, was to prevent distortion in mic preamps that couldn't handle big bass. Through Line-in, assuming you keep an eye on your levels, you shouldn't have that problem.

Offline Alex_D

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:41:58 AM »
Hi guys, I'm back!

I recorded the gig right now, I used the battery box @ 16Hz, also, I used in the mic, not in the Line In (Sorry, I only saw your tip now), I got a distortion at the beginning of the show, don't know why, but it sounds amazing.
Thank you all!
Edirol R09
SP-CMC-2
SP-SPSB-11

adrianf74

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
Hi guys, I'm back!

I recorded the gig right now, I used the battery box @ 16Hz, also, I used in the mic, not in the Line In (Sorry, I only saw your tip now), I got a distortion at the beginning of the show, don't know why, but it sounds amazing.
Thank you all!

A couple of things worth noting... if you're gonna use "mic in" make sure that "plug in power (PIP)" is turned off (you don't need the mic input powering your mics if your battery box is already doing it -- this is sometimes needed for quieter shows).   Secondly, use line-in 99% of the time.   

The distortion could have been caused by the mics themselves but I'm willing to bet it was because of the mic-in choice.   

Also, somebody mentioned about roll-off on your mics.  With cards, you don't want to roll off so it's best to keep it off (you can always remove bass in post but can never add it).   The only time I'd use roll off is if I'm in a bass-heavy spot (and even then I'll roll it off myself).

Glad you got your show taped.

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »

A couple of things worth noting... if you're gonna use "mic in" make sure that "plug in power (PIP)" is turned off (you don't need the mic input powering your mics if your battery box is already doing it -- this is sometimes needed for quieter shows).

This is interesting. Could you explain, please? Why can it be needed to use both BB and PIP at the same time?
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

nathan_g

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »
^^^

Why can it be needed to use both BB and PIP at the same time?

It's not necessary to use PIP and a battery box simultaneously.

A couple of things worth noting... if you're gonna use "mic in" make sure that "plug in power (PIP)" is turned off (you don't need the mic input powering your mics if your battery box is already doing it -- this is sometimes needed for quieter shows).   Secondly, use line-in 99% of the time.   

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »

A couple of things worth noting... if you're gonna use "mic in" make sure that "plug in power (PIP)" is turned off (you don't need the mic input powering your mics if your battery box is already doing it -- this is sometimes needed for quieter sho

This is interesting. Could you explain, please? Why can it be needed to use both BB and PIP at the same time?
Actually it is not really a problem. Because any battery box will have caps that block the dc from getting into the output of the mics. However its always a good idea to turn it off if you can. Under normal conditions it should not be an issue to have both a battery box and plug in power active at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:41:49 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
^^^

Why can it be needed to use both BB and PIP at the same time?

It's not necessary to use PIP and a battery box simultaneously.

Probably my misunderstanding... I thought he meant that it may be needed for quieter shows.
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com