Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Intermittent Tinybox issue  (Read 2951 times)

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Intermittent Tinybox issue
« on: July 25, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
I'm using my Tinybox with DPA 4022s and things have been fine up til my last three outings when the left channel has been a bit flaky.

Basically, the left channel goes dead - not crackly, or intermittent - just completely dead. Powering on and off a couple of times seems to bring it back and it generally remains good for the rest of the evening.

Both the transformer and direct outputs seem to be equally affected. It happened tonight during a support act: started fine but from eight minutes in it's just the right channel - I didn't notice until I got home. I powered down between sets and the main act has come through completely unaffected.

I've tried replicating this at home by giving all the connections a good tug but haven't been able to recreate the problem.

I'm guessing that this calls for a trip back across the Atlantic?
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Intermittent Tinybox issue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:12:58 PM »
I'm using my Tinybox with DPA 4022s and things have been fine up til my last three outings when the left channel has been a bit flaky.

Basically, the left channel goes dead - not crackly, or intermittent - just completely dead. Powering on and off a couple of times seems to bring it back and it generally remains good for the rest of the evening.

Both the transformer and direct outputs seem to be equally affected. It happened tonight during a support act: started fine but from eight minutes in it's just the right channel - I didn't notice until I got home. I powered down between sets and the main act has come through completely unaffected.

I've tried replicating this at home by giving all the connections a good tug but haven't been able to recreate the problem.

I'm guessing that this calls for a trip back across the Atlantic?
I am sure Jon will take care of you it does sound like a cable issue. all you can do is recreate the set up and it sounds like you have. I would physically open up all my connectors and check them make sure all the solder joints are nice and shiny and that no stray wire is making contact where it should not.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:14:40 AM »
Thanks chaps. I'll have another go at testing every connection over the weekend and then see what the lay of the land is.

I do love that little thing - I'll miss it if it has to go away for a while.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline brad.bartels

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
What recorder are you using? It does sound more like a cable or connector issue. You might do some playing around with your recorder as well. I had a similar issue a while back. It turned out to be my recorder (Olympus LS-10) and the level wheel. I spent a lot of time looking at my mics, cables, connectors, preamp, etc.

I finally was able to recreate the problem in a certain range of gain on the level wheel, it would intermittently drop out completely or get very low or crackly when I adjusted the gain through that range. With it cranked up above 8 or so or down below 5, it would be fine, but in the 5 to 8 range it would drop out intermittently.

Something else to try or look at, anyway.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »
What recorder are you using? It does sound more like a cable or connector issue. You might do some playing around with your recorder as well. I had a similar issue a while back. It turned out to be my recorder (Olympus LS-10) and the level wheel. I spent a lot of time looking at my mics, cables, connectors, preamp, etc.

I finally was able to recreate the problem in a certain range of gain on the level wheel, it would intermittently drop out completely or get very low or crackly when I adjusted the gain through that range. With it cranked up above 8 or so or down below 5, it would be fine, but in the 5 to 8 range it would drop out intermittently.

Something else to try or look at, anyway.
Sounds like you need some contact cleaner. Or you have a dead spot in your pot. caused by a impact to the pot most Likly, or a cracked pot haha...
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com