Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure FP24 and Sound Devices Mixpre (different product since 2002)  (Read 8683 times)

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3441/~/difference-between-a-shure-fp24-and-a-sound-devices-mixpre

This article says the Shure FP24 and Sound Devices Mixpre were identical until 2002, then Sound Devices changed the LED meters and changed the output configuration from impedance balanced to active balanced.  This is due to some devices (specifically Sony) that would not accept the impedance balanced output.  This explains why the Shure FP24 does not interact well with the Roland R26 as I stated in previous Mixpre threads. (I shouldn't have sold the Fostex FR2LE, I used it a few times with the FP24 and it worked well.)

So, the Mixpre (post-2002 and probably Mixpre-D) has active balanced outputs which was changed to address the issues with some products not accepting the impedance balanced signal.

"The single issue that prompted this change is that certain specific Sony camcorders,like the PD150, "do not properly accept any audio signals from impedance-balanced outputs". For these cameras, Sound Devices supplied an accessory cable (XL-55) that padded down the line-level signal from the MixPre to mic-level and then unbalanced the signal in a suitable manner, due to the fact that the "impedance balanced" output only has signal on Pin 2."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:47:45 AM by Chimney Top »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Shure FP24 and Sound Devices Mixpre (different product since 2002)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:15:14 AM »

http://www.sounddevices.com/tech/mixpre_changes.htm

It appears they dropped the hot signal (line) down to mic level.  I always thought the MP-2 sounded vastly different from the Mixpre/FP-24.  Here is the proof.

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:01:22 AM »
Any idea on the Superlux FMX22D? OEM or cheap copy of the above?
See : http://www.superlux.com.tw/
You can switch to English in the upper right corner, then search in Pro Audio / Electronics / Microphones Preamplifiers.

I could not find a retailer.

Same question, but off topic, about the headphone amplifier Superlux HA3D (Pro Audio / Electronics / Headphones Amplifiers)... This one is easily available (Thomann, etc.), much cheaper than the "other", with good reviews:
http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-ha3d-amplifier/

FWIW.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »
Superlux is not OEM, definitely a cheap copy!!!  In the case of HA3D according to Sound Devices they cloned the circuit board including the errors...  Superlux physical build quality is not as good if you examine them closely you'll notice; they use lower quality cases, knobs and jacks they even cheap out attempts to copy packaging and their documentation is atrocious so it would be reasonable to assume that the electronic component's they utilize are also below spec; cheap capacitors, noisy OP Amps, etc. 

It is definitely better not to support the Superlux endeavor, buy genuine Sound Devices gear designed and built with quality components in the USA.  You get what you pay for regarding quality here so don't be fooled by appearances and remember that Sound Devices offers excellent technical support.

Jon Tatooles and Matt Mayer of Sound Devices, LLC made specific comments on the HA3D, read full discussions LINKED HERE

Any idea on the Superlux FMX22D? OEM or cheap copy of the above?
See : http://www.superlux.com.tw/
You can switch to English in the upper right corner, then search in Pro Audio / Electronics / Microphones Preamplifiers.

I could not find a retailer.

Same question, but off topic, about the headphone amplifier Superlux HA3D (Pro Audio / Electronics / Headphones Amplifiers)... This one is easily available (Thomann, etc.), much cheaper than the "other", with good reviews:
http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-ha3d-amplifier/

FWIW.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:59:42 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Chimney Top

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
"Absolutely not. Every Sound Devices product is designed in Reedsburg, WI.

The only time(s) a Sound Device product has appeared without the Sound Devices name on it is when we OEM'd some products for our friends at Shure.

Luckily, since a good majority of our products are now software driven, the chances that something major like a recorder or mixer will be copied are nil.
---Matt
Sound Mixer
Sound Devices Guru
Chicago, IL
FCC License WQQR280"

-Matt Mayer

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »
Superlux is not OEM, definitely a cheap copy!!!
Jon Tatooles and Matt Mayer of Sound Devices, LLC made specific comments on the HA3D, read full discussions LINKED HERE

"Absolutely not. Every Sound Devices product is designed in Reedsburg, WI.

The only time(s) a Sound Device product has appeared without the Sound Devices name on it is when we OEM'd some products for our friends at Shure.

Thanks to both of you DigiGal and Chimney Top for your very clear answers!
And thanks for the link, DigiGal: I missed it on JWSound...

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
I am looking at a FP24 to use with my OCM PMD661 would there be any hassles using the two together?

Chimney Top

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
I am looking at a FP24 to use with my OCM PMD661 would there be any hassles using the two together?

I don't know about the Marantz PMD 661/671, but i've used these:

Fostex FR2LE - Yes

Tascam DR100 - No
Roland R26 - No

However, they all should work ok using the tape out (mini jack) > recorder.

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »

I don't know about the Marantz PMD 661/671, but i've used these:

Fostex FR2LE - Yes

Tascam DR100 - No
Roland R26 - No

However, they all should work ok using the tape out (mini jack) > recorder.

I am hoping to use the xlr line in function so it makes use of the oade mod on my unit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com