Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Niant Littlebox question - output transformers swtich cut out?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline RAQnasty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Niant Littlebox question - output transformers swtich cut out?
« on: October 12, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
I finally got to run my new rig last night, pretty happy with the results as well (Berliner CM33s > Littlebox)

I ran into one random issue, thought some more experienced folks could help me sort it out...  this is the first time I have run this rig for "real", so I have no history to refer to...

Below is a pic of the littlebox - grabbed this used in the Yard Sale section and it looks brand new, in great shape, equipped with output transformers...

I assume the small switch centered above the LEFT/RIGHT channel knobs is for the Output Transformers (I also assume that "up" means on and "down"="off") - please correct me if I am wrong about any of this...

Anyway, the issue I had is that I was curious to see what it sounded like in both configs.  I left it "up/On" during the show, but half-way through the setbreak house music I switched to "down/off"... what I found was that when in the "down" position, the input levels faded to null in about 5 secs.  Switch put back to "up", everything went back to normal.  Did it again, same response. 

I assume this means the switch is going?  Anything I can do about this - my main fear is that in the middle of a show, the whole switch will go and it will all go flat.

Anyone ever experience this? -- any help appreciated.

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Niant Littlebox question - output transformers swtich cut out?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »
This one has only input transformers on the xlr inputs, non-switchable, meaning they are always in the signal path whenever you plug mics into the xlr inputs on the back.

Input transformers will have no bearing on your sound if you are using lav mics plugged into the aux input jack on the front.

I think that switch is for 9v plug-in power (or maybe to engage the headphone amp?) - sorry can't remember. This one was a slightly unusual configuration because I wanted high gain.

If that switch is for plug-in power and you used plug-in power lav mics then it would make sense your signal cut off.

Jon will hopefully post soon and confirm what that switch is for.

Check your pm's from when you bought it I think i sent a detailed description of all of the switches.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
so you are saying that the top switch was acting like it turned off the power and no signal passed at all?

your best bet is to ask jon direct
there are so many lb options that no box is really alike
for example, i have never seen and have no clue what the 3rd knob is on your box
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline RAQnasty

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:30:42 PM »
if you mean the top left knob - it seems to be a master gain knob... I really like the setup, can use the L/R knobs to fine tune the relative signals and then move it overall with the master.

Wero - what you are saying makes sense, hadnt thought of that - it acted like the power was completely cut, but all the lights remained lit so I was confused... I will check my pms, but I dont remember getting that info... can you send again if you still have it?

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »
I checked already, must have already deleted them. I think it's safe to assume for now that it's a pip power switch, until Jon can confirm it. It's slowly coming back to me. That top left pot  is the headphone amp gain. at about 11 o'clock it's unity gain,  ccw will attenuate, cw will give you something like 12db extra gain.

Offline RAQnasty

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
there is a rear minijack output...

hey thanks for clearing this up, very happy with the equipment - the mic/preamp part of the setup is great, recording sounds great...

just need to get some more height on my stand now

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com