Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Grace Design rumours  (Read 6325 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Grace Design rumours
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »
I had an interesting exchange with the tech at Grace the other day.  It started out as getting a preamp repaired but some interesting info came out of the conversation.  interesting enought that I thought it deserved it's own thread......

They asked me if I was interested in a USB hook up for my V3?  Here is what they had to say about that.....

We would basically take the USB card out of the m903 and mount on the
side panel of the V3, no need to remove anything. It would only be a 2
channel input device, no output as there are no DA converters. Won't be
able to power the V3 either, so it's just functioning as a soundcard.
We're messing around with the idea since we think it would be pretty
easy to do, so I was just curious to see if people are interested in
such a mod.

The reference to removing anything was because I asked if I would lose anything like an AES output or wordclock output. 
I told them That my USBPre-2 did both A/D & D/A along with headpones etc.  I also said that there would probably be people who would love to see a portable 4 channel preamp that you could name the  V4 for instance and I got this reply.....

Yea, that's mainly why we don't make the V3 anymore is because you can
get 4-8 channel portable recorders with bus power and all that good
stuff. There was a V3 successor in development, but it never came to be.
I think there is still the possibility for a V4 in the future...

Who knows what could happen!

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Grace Design rumours
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
Good idea. If they figure out a way to mount an SD card in there to record onto it'll be even better.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
not Grace, but the guy at the Sound Devices booth at AES told us that we would be wise to check their new products in January. no idea what that means....

and Michal at Mytek said a Stereo192 ADC replacement is coming next year.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
* page sniffs the air....

ahhhh, I love the smell of a good arms race.  :D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »

ahhhh, I love the smell of a good arms grace:D

FTFY ;)

Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »

ahhhh, I love the smell of a good arms race.  :D

Agreed...! :D
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
Interesting.  Marking thread.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
Interesting news all around, didn't get a chance to stop at the AES booth for Grace and Sound Devices didn't have their own booth at AES 135 so will certainly be on the lookout.

Zaxcom Maxx peaked my interest though but looks like the competition is lining up. Sounds Devices is overdue for a product refresh in this area. 

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
Sound Devices was at AES 135 but the spot that was supposed to be Grace was empty.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
Hmm, what booth number where they were at?  My directory had Grace at Booth # 3039 but no listing for Sound Devices. B&H had a booth but it was unattended, just filled with their catalogs. Will keep my fingers crossed on the Sound Devices info you shared. Unfortunately didn't make it to half the booths I had hoped the one day I was there. Day was filled with sessions, starting and ending late that robbed booth time.

I did see a listing for Gotham Sound & Comminication that carried Lectrosonics, Sound Devices and Radio Active Design Labs but didn't make it to that one. Did make it to Professional Sound Services who had both Xaxcom and Sound Devices but no factory reps from them. Zaxcom had their own booth.

So January for big SD announcement, that's great!  Not sold on Zaxcom but not ruling them out and a new offering from SD would be very welcome.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:13:01 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »
Not a huge fan of the SD sound with most mics but love the v3
Always thought a grace all in one would kick ass but it was never even a serious thought I have been told
If they do come out with a new pre I hope it's much smaller then the v3. After being spoiled by compact gear I don't think I would want a pre/recorder only of a
Larger size

Not that I could prob afford it anyway
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
When the V3 first came out in 2002 Grace was talking about coming out with a Firewire card upgrade option.  This never happened but maybe now they will finally release something.

As mentioned in the past Grace was developing a 4 channel recorder at one point (about 2007 or so) and they shelved it after costs got to high (If I remember the R-44 came out) - They did get to the point of a very crude working prototype.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:40:36 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline scb

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »
Hmm, what booth number where they were at?  My directory had Grace at Booth # 3039 but no listing for Sound Devices. B&H had a booth but it was unattended, just filled with their catalogs. Will keep my fingers crossed on the Sound Devices info you shared. Unfortunately didn't make it to half the booths I had hoped the one day I was there. Day was filled with sessions, starting and ending late that robbed booth time.

I did see a listing for Gotham Sound & Comminication that carried Lectrosonics, Sound Devices and Radio Active Design Labs but didn't make it to that one. Did make it to Professional Sound Services who had both Xaxcom and Sound Devices but no factory reps from them. Zaxcom had their own booth.

So January for big SD announcement, that's great!  Not sold on Zaxcom but not ruling them out and a new offering from SD would be very welcome.

I forget the number but SD was somewhere near the middle. Small setup with 1 guy

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »
Gotcha, thanks for sharing the new product announcement info. Maybe the price hikes across the board were applied to new product development.

A Grace recorder would be sweet too if they could manage but seems like that isn't eminent.

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 06:29:57 PM »
marking thread.  cool stuff.   8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com