Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: List: Portable Mic Preamp + ADC ?  (Read 11798 times)

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Re: List: Portable Mic Preamp + ADC ?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 08:37:24 AM »
Focusrite has a couple of DC powered, stand alone Preamps and on board ADC that output SPDIF...they appear to be about the size of a Grace V2...there has been mention of it being used with a 680 on TS (non regular member friend of SmokingJoe) they eventually moved on to the V3.

Also, their Saffire series interfaces can be used in standalone mode (and have an external 12V power socket). Not having a recorder with digi-in, I have no idea how well that works, though.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

kirk97132

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
If size is a concern I'd look at the Mixpre-D!!  It is about the size of a littlebox and has AES out great metering and can be powered internally or externally. 

This!!!

Another shout out for the Sound Devices MixPre-D! 

BTW- If you need A>D built-in, the previous versions of MixPre did not have this capability, they were strictly analog.

Thanks, for the input as always.

just wondering to me I like the form factor of the usbPre2 better then the mixPre-D and it's $50 cheaper.  What if any benefit would one have with the mixPre-D over the usbPre2?
--Ian
One very blatant difference is the USBPre-2 requires external power of some kind, either a computer USB or 5 volts via the USB jack.  The Mixpre-D can use AA batteries internally.  I have not used a Pre-D, BUT looking at the feature set, I would still prefer a Pre-2 over the "D".  Even is I exclude the ability to sync externally to a SPDIF signal, I like the multiple inputs and outputs, and I sue it with my computer as a soundcard which also gives me a headphone amp with lots of power. The fact the headphone amp can be on the slightly noisy side at high volume does not bother me.  I like the volume and the easy interface to the computer.  Supplying external power to the Pre-2 in the field is not that hard.  And in fact I am currently working on a voltage converter to allow me to use the 9 volt DVD wallyworld batteries I have to power it.  A lot of batteries now provide a USB power jack in addition to their other external power. 

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 01:40:17 AM »
If size is a concern I'd look at the Mixpre-D!!  It is about the size of a littlebox and has AES out great metering and can be powered internally or externally. 

This!!!

BTW- If you need A>D built-in, the previous versions of MixPre did not have this capability, they were strictly analog.

just wondering to me I like the form factor of the usbPre2 better then the mixPre-D and it's $50 cheaper.  What if any benefit would one have with the mixPre-D over the usbPre2?
--Ian
One very blatant difference is the USBPre-2 requires external power of some kind, either a computer USB or 5 volts via the USB jack.  The Mixpre-D can use AA batteries internally.  I have not used a Pre-D, BUT looking at the feature set, I would still prefer a Pre-2 over the "D".  Even is I exclude the ability to sync externally to a SPDIF signal, I like the multiple inputs and outputs, and I sue it with my computer as a soundcard which also gives me a headphone amp with lots of power. The fact the headphone amp can be on the slightly noisy side at high volume does not bother me.  I like the volume and the easy interface to the computer.  Supplying external power to the Pre-2 in the field is not that hard.  And in fact I am currently working on a voltage converter to allow me to use the 9 volt DVD wallyworld batteries I have to power it.  A lot of batteries now provide a USB power jack in addition to their other external power.

Kirk,

thanks

an external USB power is certainly easier that 12v
and I'm not a big AA fan - except in my m-10 where that last like 30+ hours.
I like the flexibility of the usbPre2  seems like it could be useful; I do have a few external LI-ion  batteries that can supply USB 5v so that's not an issue.

since you have both the V3 an dthe USBpre2  other than size  sonically how do you feel they compare.

I know V3's show up every so often but als seem a bit bigger than the USBPre2.

Opinion?

thanks again
--Ian
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:49:18 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:11:42 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

kirk97132

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »

This!!!

--Ian

Kirk,

thanks

I like the flexibility of the usbPre2  seems like it could be useful; I do have a few external LI-ion  batteries that can supply USB 5v so that's not an issue.

since you have both the V3 an dthe USBpre2  other than size  sonically how do you feel they compare.

Opinion?

thanks again
--Ian

The V3 is a little bigger not a lot.  Soundwise...they are both very similar to each other.  Close enough to interchangeable IMHO.   If I were shooping the two preamps side by side and had to pick one I would get the Pre-2.  Handles more inputs{Mic; Line rca & Line 1/4"; and USB] Has more outputs{1/8" & 1/4" headphone; SPDIF coax & SPDIF-optical, Line-rca and XLR-mic level & XLR line level; and USB}  I also use it as my sound card to my desktop.  It is truly plug and play, never have had any issue with computers seeing it, both PC & MACS.  IN my office I can have it feed rca line level to a powered mixer for my outside deck speakers & office speakers, 1/8" headphone to feed the living room amp, 1/4for my headphones and mixing and still have the XLR outputs If I wanted to send a feed to a recorder.  I also use it for transfers, allows my to hook up my cassette deck, Dat deck both analog and digital without ever have to change out a single connection.  I do own the V# and Pre-2 in order to allow the syncing of multiple decks.  With the V3 supplying wordclock & SPDIF feed I can sync the clocks on my Alesis HD-24, and two DR-680's which gives a total of 40 tracks or recordings that will not have any drift.  There are some Gov't Mule/Warren Haynes Band recordings out in cyber space that could give you a little feel of how the pre's sound .  Hope that helps, Kirk

PS: I see Len listed his mic249 V2.  I also saw that you must have the updated firmware in order for his pre to work with the Sony regarding SPDIF feed issues.  This is something to keep in mind about a DR-680.  The Sony and some tascam units have an issue with some SPDIF signals. It is not mentioned on the Core sound website, I don't know if it means that it was tested on a DR-680 and is not an issue or if it is just something that they have not encountered yet.  I don't know of anyone here who has a DR-680 and runs that preamp.  Obviously the Lunatec and SD units are much more robust with aluminum cases not a plastic box.  IT also cannot support standard XLR jacks in such a small case, so it would be more adapters in line with your MiLab or Busman mics.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:26:34 AM by kirkd »

kirk97132

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
The Core Sound unit is plastic?  It looks like a steel case from the pics on the website.
My mistake then.  Sorry.  I looked at the picture and it appeared plastic to me.  Sorry for any confusion

Marshall7

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »
The Core Sound unit is plastic?  It looks like a steel case from the pics on the website.

My first impression was plastic, too.  Especially the knobs.

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
Obviously the Lunatec and SD units are much more robust with aluminum cases not a plastic box.

The Mic2496 V2 case is powdercoated aluminum.

It takes onboard batteries - both alkaline and rechargable lithium ion - so you don't need an outboard power supply or USB power. It also has an external DC power connector.

It comes with the updated firmware. That's since July 2009.

A rugged 6-inch dual-XLR-F breakout cable is $35.

We mention on the product page that it works fine with a Tascam DR-680. I have a -680 that I use with our TetraMic, and I like it a lot.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:23:31 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »

Kirk,

thanks

Opinion?

thanks again
--Ian

The V3 is a little bigger not a lot.  Soundwise...they are both very similar to each other.  Close enough to interchangeable IMHO.   If I were shooping the two preamps side by side and had to pick one I would get the Pre-2.  Handles more inputs{Mic; Line rca & Line 1/4"; and USB] Has more outputs{1/8" & 1/4" headphone; SPDIF coax & SPDIF-optical, Line-rca and XLR-mic level & XLR line level; and USB}  I also use it as my sound card to my desktop.  It is truly plug and play, never have had any issue with computers seeing it, both PC & MACS.  IN my office I can have it feed rca line level to a powered mixer for my outside deck speakers & office speakers, 1/8" headphone to feed the living room amp, 1/4for my headphones and mixing and still have the XLR outputs If I wanted to send a feed to a recorder.  I also use it for transfers, allows my to hook up my cassette deck, Dat deck both analog and digital without ever have to change out a single connection.  I do own the V# and Pre-2 in order to allow the syncing of multiple decks.  With the V3 supplying wordclock & SPDIF feed I can sync the clocks on my Alesis HD-24, and two DR-680's which gives a total of 40 tracks or recordings that will not have any drift.  There are some Gov't Mule/Warren Haynes Band recordings out in cyber space that could give you a little feel of how the pre's sound .  Hope that helps, Kirk

Kirk,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  You make so very good points of the input versatility of the USBPre2 over the V3, since they are still in production, I may lean that way.
However I'm not financially ready to take the plunge yet. We have some minor home remodeling on the horizon that I need to be careful of my cash flow for.
See you some time in the near future, I hope.
Take care.
--Ian
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:51:10 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »
I got a SD MixPre-D and I have only done one show with it (Elephant Revival @ The Aladdin) but like it. Digigal made an adapter for a battery pack I got and also converted an AC unit for it. If you are coming up to Portland for a show and want to check it out let me know.

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
The MixPre-D also has an USB connection.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 03:36:26 AM »
I got a SD MixPre-D and I have only done one show with it (Elephant Revival @ The Aladdin) but like it. Digigal made an adapter for a battery pack I got and also converted an AC unit for it. If you are coming up to Portland for a show and want to check it out let me know.

cool, thanks for the offer and info.
I'd love to make it to PDX, current work situations make it difficult. I only live 5 hours away but work 10:30 am to 8:30 pm Tuesday to Saturday....

Perhaps we will move to PDX soon instead... I need to be closer to "real" music options (Corvallis for 20 years was easy to hit a ton of shows)  Southern Oregon is like a  sunny vortex.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com