Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can old SD USBPre be used as a standalone? Or doest it ONLY work w PC?  (Read 5909 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
I couldve sworn my old Phish taper buddy mterry, aka Mark Terry used to run one right alongside me at MANY Phish shows back in 2003-2004. Ive been doing some research online and I cant find ANYTHING that states it can work as a standalone, like MTerry used it for? And Im almost 100% sure that he DID NOT have a laptop to run it into ???

Also, I just need USB battery packs to power it right?

My friend has one and wants to loan it to me semi-permamently so Im PSYCHED!!! Id still need Naiant PFAs, but those arent much $$ in the grand scheme of things ;)

Thanks yinzers 8)
Bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Can old SD USBPre be used as a standalone? Or doest it ONLY work w PC?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
usbpre2 = standalone
usbpre1 = laptop required.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
usbpre2 = standalone
Confirming this is true

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »
Can anyone who has used both USBPre1 and 2 comment on whether the USBPre2 is a better sounding preamp?

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

kirk97132

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »
Can anyone who has used both USBPre1 and 2 comment on whether the USBPre2 is a better sounding preamp?
I suspect that odds are you won't find anyone here who owns both.  I know a lot of FOH guys who use the Pre1(it's a 1.5 actually I believe) for running reference mic into laptops for their RTA;s.  And since most here are not doing laptop recording then there is no use for one.   The Pre-2 has preamps similiar to the 744 and sound wise it is very similiar to my V3

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
usbpre2 = standalone
Confirming this is true

Could there have been any hacks for the usbpre1 that allowed it to work standalone like the digimod hack for the UA5?
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »
usbpre2 = standalone
Confirming this is true

Could there have been any hacks for the usbpre1 that allowed it to work standalone like the digimod hack for the UA5?

Supposidly no since it relies upon the pc for routing and otger instructions whereas the ua5 just looked for routing assistance (which is why the solder job worked)

As for the preamps. The pre2 uses the same ones as the 788 which as sloghtly different than the 744/7x2. No radical changes, so if you sont like the house flavor (or do) it wont change your opinion.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
I suspect that odds are you won't find anyone here who owns both.  I know a lot of FOH guys who use the Pre1(it's a 1.5 actually I believe) for running reference mic into laptops for their RTA;s.  And since most here are not doing laptop recording then there is no use for one.   The Pre-2 has preamps similiar to the 744 and sound wise it is very similiar to my V3

Thanks for that info. I have a USBPre2 that I like very much for field recording. I had thought of teaming up a USBPre1.5 with a laptop for a different usage, and wondered if I'd be disappointed in its preamps.

In any case I have found out that the USBPre1.5 won't work with the most recent Mac OS, so it's a no go with my laptop.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 08:49:12 PM »
I saw these (on consignment) at Trew Audio.  Was considering it until I found out they would not work, either on Linux, or on any recent version of Windows.

I suppose you could use Win XP, but it seems a shame to buy a product now that limits you to win XP.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »
was the usbpre1 even out back then?

kirk97132

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
I saw these (on consignment) at Trew Audio.  Was considering it until I found out they would not work, either on Linux, or on any recent version of Windows.

I suppose you could use Win XP, but it seems a shame to buy a product now that limits you to win XP.

Richard
Richard I think it is only in the 64 bit realm that it won't work.  If you run it in 32bit mode it should work on win-7

OP: Not exactly sur eof your intended application but with two Pre-2 units you would be able to sync their clocks together if in fact you were planning on using them at the same time.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com