Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tell me about the Naiant boxes  (Read 8107 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tell me about the Naiant boxes
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 07:12:21 PM »
I like this idea dnsacks. Was also considering that for the price of new KC5s. I could buy KCY cable and a tinybox. But the modified KC5 that allows tinybox and cmc6 operation sounds very sweet, as does the adapter to bypass bodies all together. Do you recall the cost of said modifications and cable adapters?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:00:35 PM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »
Thanks for your (funny) words, Jon.  I needed a good laugh this evening. 

I've dealt with both Chris (at CA) and Jon and, ultimately, have absolutely ZERO regrets in dealing with either of them.  I'd sent my gear back to Jon for investigation back in December and it took a little longer than I'd hoped for, however, I understand he's a single person.  It ultimately took longer, as well, because I got nailed in the lithium battery debacle.  Again, I'm not upset by this; it happens.  Jon (and Chris) both have very impressive products available and I'm happy to see that Jon said he'll release schematics, etc., when it's time to move on.  But that's just how these two guys roll.  I hardly think they're comparable to Oade, either, in that they're here for some time to come.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 01:59:34 AM »
So here is my train of thought; I'm gonna be adding some new gear to the equation by end of summer (hopefully by Labor Day weekend).
You can see my current rig setup under my post; and I know, its quite the wishlist I'm putting together here.
If I were to get MK41 capsules, KC5 cables and have them modified like dnsacks has suggested above,
get said adapter cable to bypass cmc6 bodies, PFAs, a Naiant tiny box, as well as get a DR-100mkII; I should be able to run 2 rigs at the same time on the same stand (or OTS and FOB); yes?
Example:
Schoeps MK41>KC5 (mod) >PFA > Tinybox >HD-P2
and
Schoeps cmc6+MK4 > Apogee Mini Me > DR-100mkII
Does this look right? Am I missing something?
This would be my dream rig and considering I'm not married/involved and have no kids, I can make this happen.
Please let me know any suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:03:28 AM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

stevetoney

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 08:37:10 AM »
There's some implication in this thread that Oade has gone away just like JKLabs.  That's not true.  Oade is highly reliable and has been around for decades.  Furthermore, he's still servicing the gear that he designed and sold 30 or more years ago. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:46:00 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
Jon gave me a good price on a box with enough power and actives to power Schoeps mk4.  My thought is these boxes last 5 years+ and there is a enough of a market that the market place will either make a new box or Jon or someone else will be around to fix it.

That being said, my other box is an NBox, which has been around in various forms for what 20 years?  So I just bought a second one as a back up.  I think I'm good for another 20 years. 

I will say Jon's boxes are smaller and have better battery life.  Sonically, I have not compared them, but the NBox is A+.  Size and battery life are not a big consideration for me, given the size of the NBox. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
I like this idea dnsacks. Was also considering that for the price of new KC5s. I could buy KCY cable and a tinybox. But the modified KC5 that allows tinybox and cmc6 operation sounds very sweet, as does the adapter to bypass bodies all together. Do you recall the cost of said modifications and cable adapters?

TS.com member darktrain did the KC5 mods for me and created the binder adaptor that plugs into my tiny box.  Jon @ Naiant built the PFAs that plug into the modified KC5s.

I'm not recalling exact costs for the mods but believe that total cost from darktrain for the kc5 mods and binder adaptor were under $100 and Jon's PFAs similarly ran under $100

I was able to pick my KC5s up used for under $600 a pair -- I'd strongly recommend keeping an eye on the used market for these.

Another option would be to go with the followingbob active cables  -- although you'd lose the ability to run these with your cmc 6 bodies (following bob hasn't machined the collettes to mount onto the cmc bodies), given your desire to run 2 rigs simultaneously, this might be another good alternative.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
There are so many schoeps options its overwhelming to me
I can't keep track of the different ways to run them
KCY
Kc5
Nbox
Tb
Nbob
Cmr
Vms or something
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »
There are so many schoeps options its overwhelming to me
I can't keep track of the different ways to run them
KCY
Kc5
Nbox
Tb
Nbob
Cmr
Vms or something

Add PFAs and you can add to the list all 48v pres and decks.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »
There's some implication in this thread that Oade has gone away just like JKLabs.  That's not true.  Oade is highly reliable and has been around for decades.  Furthermore, he's still servicing the gear that he designed and sold 30 or more years ago.

Agreed; just had my 661 warm modded and sensitivity lowered. Doug has always been responsive and helpful the 3 or 4 times I've dealt with him  :)

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:43 PM »
I have a V1 Littlebox dating to November 2010, and it has been nothing but outstanding. Same goes for my pair of X-X mics from September 2012. They have been solid performers every time I've used them.

That being said, I have no experience with the Tinybox, but based on Jon's track record, I'd consider it a slam dunk (though it seems more oriented towards full stealth rather than open/semi-open taping). I personally like having easily-adjustable pots on each channel, so the Littlebox fills my needs quite well.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com