Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps KC5- 15' or 30'?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Schoeps KC5- 15' or 30'?
« on: March 25, 2014, 02:13:36 AM »
So is there any difference in performance/quality? I was thinking about smaller is better, but for $60, I thought why not go bigger-just in case?
Any thoughts?
Also does it make a difference if I run an additional 15' (or smaller) Gakable XLRs from the cmc6 bodies to the Apogee, or should I get some short custom cables?
Thanks! Trying to allocate funds!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:46:53 AM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps KC5- 15' or 30'?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:57:31 AM »
Oh, shorter is definitely better. Six feet has always been my preference. You want that segment as short as possible.

The output from the bodies is very immune to any impact from long cable runs or outside interference. So if you need length, that is the place to get it.  Plus you'll be able to choose from a wide variety of cables, thin, thick, techflexed together, whatever.

When running on a tall stand, I velcro the bodies to the stand pole. You could optionally put them in a small pouch and attach the pouch to the stand. I've never considered it a hassle. Also, you should consider covering your bodies with heat shrink tubing. That will prevent scratches from them rubbing on anything. I also cover the body end of the kc5. The downside to this is that it will increase the diameter of the bodies and it will factor into how the bodies fit in your shockmount.  For some shock mounts it will not matter, and for others it will.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
There shouldn't be any noticable difference between a 30' KC5 and a 15' cable; for all intents and purposes they should perform identically. KC5 cables are electronically balanced and relatively immune to interfernce. Personally, I find such a long cable difficult to manage when it comes to coiling and uncoiling (... untangling, rather), but it's totally up to preference.

Same with the XLR cable run. It's an electronically balanced signal and can be run 100s of feet if necessary.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:08:07 AM by hi and lo »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
Doh, you're right. I was thinking of the PFA implementation.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
Thanks guys! Very helpful info.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
To pick a nit, the CMC6 output is not merely balanced, but also differential.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
To pick a further nit, the "5" in "KC 5" is the cable length in meters. Standard lengths are 5 meters (~16.5') and 10 meters (~33'); the latter is a "KC 10" (not a 30-foot KC 5). Other lengths up to 20 meters are available on special order.

As was mentioned, these cables are unbalanced; also, the signal impedance isn't super-low. All in all it's best to limit these cables to the length you need and not much more. (Of course that's also true for balanced microphone cable, but the risk of interference in unbalanced connections is always higher.)

I use 3-meter Colette active cables for most jobs, but I also have a pair of 10-meter cables for when I need to suspend capsules from a wire stretched across the balcony in an auditorium or church. I've never had an RF problem (that I've been aware of) with the 10-meter cables but then again, I only use them when the shorter ones won't do.

--best regards
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:27:27 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com