Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereo Bar question?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Stereo Bar question?
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:23:42 AM »
My question is, if you're running 2 sources DFC, what's better: 2 sets of mics one atop another with a clamp, or something like a Sabra-Som ST4 Stereo Bar?
If the latter what would you run? Outside split with 2nd set in the middle, or 2 sets - left and right on same plane?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:34:52 AM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Stereo Bar question?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »
I don't know if its better or not but I go above
I look at it like this, if you have something between the mics its similar to have a jdisc or your head. It's going to create a different sound.
I could be totally wrong though
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
I couldn't wait to ditch my Sabra Som bar. I used it to do exactly what you are describing, but it's bulky, takes up a lot of room in my gear bag and is awkward to set-up. When I got my AKG actives I said bye bye to the Sabra Som. This is what I'm using for my full bodied mics now: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164894.0

I don't know the answer to your question, but I tend to think that above and below is better than lining up four mics side by side...
I'm sure someone will chime in with a logical reason to do one or the other.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »
No strong opinion one way or the other, except if your mics are full bodied mics, putting them in the same horizontal plane can be a PITA if the cables all come out the back of the bar at or close to the same place, so risers and such are handy for cable management.

Otherwise, I don't have any compelling reason to offer why one pair should be aligned in any particular way with respect to the other.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com