Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm Officially Retired...  (Read 21403 times)

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: I'm Officially Retired...As a Stealth Taper
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »
I've been thinking about this thread since it was started yesterday, and for me, the day I retire from stealth taping is the day I retire completely. I suppose maybe if I lived somewhere else, that wouldn't be the case, but i have no loyality to most of the venues I frequent where some just assume charge you for the privilege and I have no desire to try and jump through some of the hoops my fellow open tapers in the area have to deal with.  Everything I tape is stealth, the stuff i've posted on LMA, and the times i've plugged into the board have been with artist consent, but not with venue consent.  I can't say i've ever felt guilty about it.

Although the things other things people have mentioned annoy me, i like doing it and it keeps me focused on the show. I didn't tape 2 of the 3 Pearl Jam shows I saw last year since they release official boards and it felt completely weird not taping and it actually affected my enjoyment of the shows in a negative way.  I also like the challenge of making a good recording under these circumstances.

Anyway, just my .02.

Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
Disclaimer: I have been on an emotional roller coaster the last year and a half after being blindsided by a request for divorce. Regret is a negative emotion and it is tough to let go, but sometimes you have to do it for your own sanity. I still spend a lot of days wishing I had done things differently with my marriage. It really puts the recording stuff in perspective.

eta: And Adrian, I know you've been through a lot lately. Sometimes real life puts the whole hobby thing in a different light.

I get it - I've been down the divorce road myself; lucky for me (I guess) is that I never let taping get in the way of family life.  Even with everything STILL going on (and will be until the bitter end), my other half has asked me *NOT* to NOT RECORD because she enjoys listening to the shows later on.  Talk about a keeper.... :'(

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
I've been thinking about this thread since it was started yesterday, and for me, the day I retire from stealth taping is the day I retire completely. I suppose maybe if I lived somewhere else, that wouldn't be the case, but i have no loyality to most of the venues I frequent where some just assume charge you for the privilege and I have no desire to try and jump through some of the hoops my fellow open tapers in the area have to deal with.  Everything I tape is stealth, the stuff i've posted on LMA, and the times i've plugged into the board have been with artist consent, but not with venue consent.  I can't say i've ever felt guilty about it.

Although the things other things people have mentioned annoy me, i like doing it and it keeps me focused on the show. I didn't tape 2 of the 3 Pearl Jam shows I saw last year since they release official boards and it felt completely weird not taping and it actually affected my enjoyment of the shows in a negative way.  I also like the challenge of making a good recording under these circumstances.

Anyway, just my .02.

This is a good point. Along with musical taste being a factor, the "need" to stealth is determined by venues and general attitudes as well. BLG and I like a lot of the same bands; despite that fact, stuff I can tape open here in New York, he cannot where he lives. There's always that hope that some aspiring taper can "open up" a previously anti-taping environment, but that has its limits. In my completely anecdotal experience, taping has always been better received in New York, the South and certain other places than in places like LA or even DC. A lot of it has to do with whether the venues are controlled by cool people, uncool people, or by massive corporations, among other factors.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: I'm Officially Retired...
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »
I've convinced myself to buy stealth rigs over the years and have almost never used them. I still have one too and it just sits and gathers dust. I just don't record if the band doesn't allow open taping. For the most part, the music and bands that I like are cool with taping.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »
Disclaimer: I have been on an emotional roller coaster the last year and a half after being blindsided by a request for divorce. Regret is a negative emotion and it is tough to let go, but sometimes you have to do it for your own sanity. I still spend a lot of days wishing I had done things differently with my marriage. It really puts the recording stuff in perspective.

eta: And Adrian, I know you've been through a lot lately. Sometimes real life puts the whole hobby thing in a different light.

I get it - I've been down the divorce road myself; lucky for me (I guess) is that I never let taping get in the way of family life.  Even with everything STILL going on (and will be until the bitter end), my other half has asked me *NOT* to NOT RECORD because she enjoys listening to the shows later on.  Talk about a keeper.... :'(

Damn, are we the same person?  Sounds exactly like my quasi-ex.  Still married (for financial reasons), not together though.   I had taken a break for years for life and kids and she's the one really pushing me to get back out there and have a little fun.  Sometimes she'll even still go with me to a show and help with whatever I need (keep talkers away).

Back to the original discussion,  I primarily stealth because 98% of the bands I tape do not allow. I'm so jealous of the comradery some of you have seeing each other at sections & festivals.  I'm just not into that type of music, unfortunately that means that atmosphere isn't there either.   I've had limited success in contacting bands and getting permission and wish I could be better at that.  I don't feel guilty about stealthing at all because for the most part I only record for myself & kickdown to a few close pals.  Like others have said I don't want to miss that special moment in history.  I will post a special song or two if something neat happened that I think fans would dig.  I would take it down if the artist asked, but I fully believe posting live music only helps the artist attract more fans.   I have a feeling a lot of these artists are going to be glad there were tapers like us when they are doing whatever passes for VH1's Behind the Music in 30 years ;-)

That all being said, I too am feeling my age when stealth taping.  It's certainly getting harder to stand still and deal with idiots for 2 hours.  My feet and back ache like they never did before.  I find myself considering seated balcony positions over floor positions more and more.  Sigh.
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 02:20:28 PM »

Thats pretty cool. My ex-wife of 10 years, is (still) convinced (and we've been divorced for 4 years now) that when I was out taping shows (some involving traveling) that I was in fact - not out taping/seeing shows- I was running around with "other women", never mind I was lugging around audio gear, posters, had recordings,tickets and a lot of times photos of me with other guys (tapers). She blurted that out once after I had gotten back from a weekend trip and my jaw about hit the floor..she simply could not wrap her head around the idea that a grown man would actually do what I was doing (taping) .  I'm kind of laughing as I'm writing this.. I still can't believe she thinks that. ( and no, I actually never, ever cheated on her..and yes, I'm still taping shows)
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

adrianf74

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »

Thats pretty cool. My ex-wife of 10 years, is (still) convinced (and we've been divorced for 4 years now) that when I was out taping shows (some involving traveling) that I was in fact - not out taping/seeing shows- I was running around with "other women", never mind I was lugging around audio gear, posters, had recordings,tickets and a lot of times photos of me with other guys (tapers). She blurted that out once after I had gotten back from a weekend trip and my jaw about hit the floor..she simply could not wrap her head around the idea that a grown man would actually do what I was doing (taping) .  I'm kind of laughing as I'm writing this.. I still can't believe she thinks that. ( and no, I actually never, ever cheated on her..and yes, I'm still taping shows)

I know we're getting OT here but I'm really fortunate to have somebody who, even in declining health that will eventually claim her life, still wants me to record regardless.  She's also 100% _ALWAYS_ trusted me which is a welcome change from my previous marriage where I was always guilty before innocent (much like the situation you mentioned above).  Trust me, I can fully relate to what you're saying.  I just wished I didn't have to go through the other crap right now.  :(

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
I think I've managed to maintain my sanity while stealthing by following a few rules.

1. Don't let idiots/assholes ruin having a good time at a show. Yep, they might have ruined the recording, but once that starts happening I write it off. Sometimes it turns out you can't even hear them.
2. Occasionally I'll be on the fence if I want to record a stealth show. I have shirt with mics in the collar and run a super minimal rig. I put little to no effort in and hope for the best. At the very least I have the recording "for my records."
3. For shows I skip recording and then wish I did, I try to put behind me as well. Remember the vast majority of people at the show will never get to listen to it again, and they live. There is always next time and you can't have it all.

Yep there are times when I take recording undercover very seriously. I've learned what bands are worthy of this and prepare myself in advance.

I think it's important to accept that it's okay to take a break from both stealthing shows and open shows.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
I think it's important to accept that it's okay to take a break from both stealthing shows and open shows.

x2

I don't believe I will ever retire from stealthing completely. I will be >:D a festival in September. Probably nothing before then.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
I'm officially retiring from the rat race on April 15, 2028. Save the date. I'm working on getting Van Halen to play my retirement party and allow open taping. All tapers are invited. Then me and Mick are going to wing on over to London and jam with the Stones.

Hopefully that will free up my schedule so I can attempt to hit as many shows as Z-man does.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 04:19:16 PM »
Here in Europe the kind of music I like is non-open 99% of the time. There is no other choice than to stealth.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:43:52 PM by robeti »
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
Pul-eeze.  Stealth taping wore you out?  I mean how hard is it? You shove a couple mikes into a hat and press the "record button." 

You STFU, but I STFU when I'm not taping. 

I guess you can't turn your head and check out the babes, but other than that how difficult is it?

I've been stealth taping since 1970--my first rig was a cassette with a Sony stereo mike duct taped to a Popeil Pocket Fisherman Pole.  Its actually gotten easier.  As Ron Popeil would say, I just set it and forget it. 

Maybe I'm a little tongue in  cheek but I urge you to reconsider.  Open Taping is on the decline and we need more experienced tapers. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
It seems to me that open taping is NOT on the decline per se.....more smaller, regional bands (non-jambands) seem open to it now than in the 90's I think and see value in allowing their fans to record
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »

I've been stealth taping since 1970--my first rig was a cassette with a Sony stereo mike duct taped to a Popeil Pocket Fisherman Pole. 

awesome.. happen to have any kind of old photos of yourself in "fishing mode"..??  ;)
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline ccage

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
I haven't gone 007 since 2007.
I had declared myself retired until I purchased Tonedeaf's mk4s and some nbob actives last year.

Now I'm thinking I may try again.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:28:43 PM by ccage »
Schoeps CCM 41V, MK4, MK41, NBob Schoeps Actives, JB Mod Nak 300>cp103, JB Mod PFA Nak cp104, Naiant Active>AKG CK 63 combo,   
Oade m248mkII  Audioroot Femto
SD 744
Darktrain cables-tgakidis cables/bar
followinbob clips/risers/bars-Naiant PFA's-Nbob Actives

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com