Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Contemplating Exchanging R4 for Preamp > H6, Need Advice  (Read 3983 times)

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Contemplating Exchanging R4 for Preamp > H6, Need Advice
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:22:45 AM »
Several months ago I bought a Zoom H6. I bought this mostly as a device for non-concert gigs. I have mostly used it for running a shotgun mic for booming. I like the simplicity of it compared to the R4, plus it is so much easier to carry around. I eventually want to tape more concerts, but I am thinking of switching up things with my recording equipment. I will say that I love my R4, but it seems like it would be best to do something new. I am thinking of getting a preamp, but I am not sure which. Probably something that I could use with my 414s and shotgun that works for the ins on the H6. I am also worried about selling/trading my R4 and then changing my mind. Not really sure what to do so I figured I would ask. If I can trade, do you think people would be willing to trade an R4 for a pre? Are they worth that much now? Any advice would be great.
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Contemplating Exchanging R4 for Preamp > H6, Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 04:16:33 PM »
Trying out the 414s > H6 at a show tonight. Hoping that the result is great. I am still looking for some input if anyone has any.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:19:17 PM »
I haven't used an H6, but my only input would be that Zoom is well-known to not make a quality product. Just like Tascam occasionally makes something by accident that isn't a piece of junk, I wouldn't trust anything made by Zoom any farther than I could throw it. That said, I agree that the H6 has a really nice feature set. Just my $0.02.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
I haven't used an H6, but my only input would be that Zoom is well-known to not make a quality product. Just like Tascam occasionally makes something by accident that isn't a piece of junk, I wouldn't trust anything made by Zoom any farther than I could throw it. That said, I agree that the H6 has a really nice feature set. Just my $0.02.

Yeah I can see that. I pretty much got the H6 because I know a lot of people that do video sound/booming use the H4N with great results. I have only used the 414s on it a few times, but those times were non-concerts and I did like the results. My guess is that I might need to get an external pre after tonight. The only one I have used is an UA-5.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »

I have an H6 and did own Tascam 680s... using an external preamp on each stereo set of inputs I make satisfactory recordings.
I find the H6 is much easier to use than the 680, you can use 64GB cards, the unit holds it's settings after powering down, it is smaller and much more battery efficient.
The 680 has a digital input and slightly better mic preamps, otherwise the H6 trumps it for my usage... my 2¢

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:11:02 AM »
I have an H6 and did own Tascam 680s... using an external preamp on each stereo set of inputs I make satisfactory recordings.
I find the H6 is much easier to use than the 680, you can use 64GB cards, the unit holds it's settings after powering down, it is smaller and much more battery efficient.
The 680 has a digital input and slightly better mic preamps, otherwise the H6 trumps it for my usage... my 2¢

So the H6 pre's would be fine for recording music that isn't real quiet?

Also am interested in the quality of the included XY mics. I assume they'd be good enough to use occupationally to record stuff that isn't of critical importance. I absolutely hated my first flash recorder which was a Zoom H4, but I have to admit that the built in mics actually sounded pretty good.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:00:55 PM »

Also am interested in the quality of the included XY mics. I assume they'd be good enough to use occupationally to record stuff that isn't of critical importance. I absolutely hated my first flash recorder which was a Zoom H4, but I have to admit that the built in mics actually sounded pretty good.

I only toyed with them, but most likely they would be acceptable for loud sources.
I have not used any of the mic modules other than the 1/8" input on the X/Y to accept Line In from a SBD, so I can not comment on their quality.
As I indicated in my previous post... I run external preamps anyway, and the battery life and small form factor make the H6 an excellent choice for multichannel use.
Another thing I like is the metering, which is very easy to see. The only drawback is the gain knobs are not recessed and move easily which was addressed on the soon to be released H5 

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Does seem like an interesting recorder....
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Benderman11

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »
I'd be interested to hear more about this.  I am new to this hobby as well and recently bought the H6, 4 channel snake, and 2 sets of mics and have been pleased with results.  I've contemplating purchasing a pre, but not sure if it would make much difference.
mics: Joly Modded Oktava MK-012MSP, Telefunken M60 stereo set, Neumann ak40, ak43, or ak50 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km100
Pres: Sound Devices 442, Sound Devices MP-2, Grace Lunatec V3
Recorders: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-60Dmkii, Zoom F4, SD788t

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:56:38 PM »

You can get some samples of the XY module compared to things like a Rode NT4, Sony PCM-D50, and Shure KSM141 at my Homebrewed Music blog in my sig.

I find the XY module to do the job for my recordings. Here's a YT clip I shot with a custom Kathy Wingert guitar straight into the H6 XY module:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeaK6G7fJD0

Fran

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »

I find the XY module to do the job for my recordings. Here's a YT clip I shot with a custom Kathy Wingert guitar straight into the H6 XY module:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeaK6G7fJD0

Fran

Sounds great! Thanks.

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »
I have used the X-Y mics to record drums and the result was good. I can post a mp3 if needed.

Also, I am happy from my result on Wednesday's recording. I pretty much was on-stage and I ran my 414s Wide-Card 24" apart. Probably not the best setup for that close of proximity, but I was experimenting. I will probably get a preamp but only when I can afford to. Also plan to get the additional XLR/TRS input at some point.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com