Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony M10 Memory Card Error  (Read 10785 times)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony M10 Memory Card Error
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
Gosh, I love pissing contests.  But moving the conversation from so-called "scum bags" to the issue, which is whether there is some advantage into recording with the HD as opposed to the card, let me respond.

I am not a RF expert.  I'm just  a dumb taper since 1970.  Thus, my comments are only my experience, not a scientific explanation for the phenomenon. 

I have experienced some static and interference when using the Edirol machine (which recorded only to a SD card) and my Sony M-10 when the setting was made to record to the SD Card.  Does it happen all the time?  Nope, quite infrequently in fact.  In my own lack of knowledge explanation, I attribute the phenomenon to Cell Phones and RF interference, since I was using unbalanced cords.  It seemed to happen less (actually not at all) when I switched the Sony M-10 to recording to the internal hard drive, whether than be a SSD or flash, or another form of digital storage, I do not know, as I haven't bothered to research how the Sony's are made or what the particular internal drive is, or is not.  Also, I switched from a cheap preamp to a thick bulky preamp with a solid metal case.  That might have been the remedy I don't know. 

So, that's my experience--whether it was RF interference, cell phones, text messages, an accident, the preamp, or just the hand of God reaching out to punish me for my sins, I do not know, but it disappeared when I started recording to the Sony hard drive.

Now on to the "scum bag" taper discussion, which I believe was leveled at some tapers which might record wireless, or maybe it was leveled at me, (I've been known to pull the occasional RF transmission), I don't know. 

Taping and all forms of taping, unless the band and the venue give the taper explicit consent, is stealing, and even then violates copyright laws unless the band consents to its informal distribution through trading or torrent sites.  An audience tape that was never intended by the band or the venue to be recorded and distributed to those not paying an admission price is stealing.  That's why almost every band and venue has "no recording" policies, and will throw you out for recording.  So the belief that audience recording, as opposed to IEM and ALD recording, is somehow better, misses the mark.  This is because all forms of taping (without band and venue consent) is stealing, might be illegal, and will get the taper thrown out of the venue.   If you doubt this, then try to set up a recorder in plain view at your local venue, and see how many minutes you'll last before being gleefully thrown out.   Go ahead, try to tell the band and security  that you're merely archiving it.  Let me know how this works out. 

Unless the taper can get past that moral roadblock, a taper won't be much a taper.  To draw some sort of artificial moral line in the sand between the two is, in my belief, hypocritical.   
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Sony M10 Memory Card Error
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 01:43:55 AM »
I think the whole morality issue is getting endlessly more complicated. Anyone with a cellphone can record a video: one song, the whole show, whatever.It might sound like a big disorted mess, or not. So touring musicians have a choice: try out new material that might end up on YouTube, or not? I know bands think about this a lot. Fans should too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com