Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cellphone noises? What causes this?  (Read 7807 times)

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
Cellphone noises? What causes this?
« on: October 16, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »
Hi!

I taped a show today, and for the first time in years I got those cellphone noises on my recording. Is it because:
  • I forgot to put my phone in flight mode? (I normally always do)
  • it was the first time I recorded bringing my new iphone 6?
Or is it one of the elements in the equipment I used:
  • Schoeps MK41s
  • Nbob actives
  • Naiant Tinybox
  • Minijack to minijack from Darktrain
  • M10
Any input appreciated...

-colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Cellphone noises? What causes this?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
When you have unbalanced connections near cellphones, I would worry about interference.

Thanks Jon.
So basically, with this setup, I just have to be careful about having a cellphone nearby? It is related to the distance from the cellphone, right? Because today the cellphone was about 6-8 inches away from recorder/preamp, which is where it normally is, but in flight mode...
-c

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
When you have unbalanced connections near cellphones, I would worry about interference.

GSM cell signals in particular are problematic. In the US that's AT&T and T-Mobile.

Airplane mode is best solution, but to mitigate Jon's advice is accurate.
The weak link in your setup is the unbalanced connection from Tinybox to the M10. This is the cable that should be short and coiled.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
Airplane mode is best solution, but to mitigate Jon's advice is accurate.
The weak link in your setup is the unbalanced connection from Tinybox to the M10. This is the cable that should be short and coiled.

The Nbox cables are also unbalanced.

Good to know. I ran into this a while back. A friend who uses AT&T was leaving her purse near my rig. Took a bit for me to convince her that she should move it.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »
I know this is close to heresy...but you could just leave the damn phone at home! ;D

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:56 AM »
Switch the f***er off.

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 03:17:47 AM »
I know this is close to heresy...but you could just leave the damn phone at home! ;D

It is pretty close to heresy, yes... I need the phone for lots of stuff these days. Where I live most (relatively young) people buy their bus/subway tickets on the phone, and my wife would probably not like it if I left her and the kids with no option to be contacted. Anyway, I can switch it off, or put it in flight mode, so that I can take photos, but the difficult part is to convince everyone around me to turn it off ;-)

Like I said, I have not had any trouble with this the past few years, using flight mode on my own phone. I guess people around me are too far away to create any interference in the recording.

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »
Inverse square law--every doubling in distance from the source of interference drops the signal 6dB.  Your phone was six inches away; other peoples' phone are probably six feet.  That means their signal is 20dB lower than yours at your recorder.

Thanks, that explains why the interference was so loud on my recording yesterday - the phone was very close, and the music was not amplified, so I had the tinybox on "high", which I almost never do... This is nice to know.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
I think the culprit is unbalanced connections and the SD Card.  Eliminate either, and the problem is solved.  I've sat next to a Taper with a Tascam DR-2D who suffered from immense static interference while my rig, a Sony M-10 was immune.  The Sony records to internal memory, not an SD Card

I wonder if the new UHS-II SD cards, with a really fast write speed would eliminate write bursts and static. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Marshall7

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
The Sony records to internal memory, not an SD Card

It can...but not everyone runs in like that.

Offline blg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:21:24 AM »
fwiw, I run exactly the same rig as the OP (except my mini to mini is from Jon and it locks on the Tinybox side) and have done well over 100 shows with my iPhone in my left pocket (on) and my M10 recording to the SD card in my right pocket.  Up to this point, I have never had cell phone interference.  I have verizon if that makes a difference. 
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 03:14:08 AM »
fwiw, I run exactly the same rig as the OP (except my mini to mini is from Jon and it locks on the Tinybox side) and have done well over 100 shows with my iPhone in my left pocket (on) and my M10 recording to the SD card in my right pocket.  Up to this point, I have never had cell phone interference.  I have verizon if that makes a difference.

Verizon uses CDMA technology, which does not exhibit itself in the same "interference" sounds that GSM signals do.  (i.e. if you have Verizon you shouldn't even worry about it)
In my experience, even moving the phone a few inches away from the cable will stop the interference from happening.  Having your phone in your left pocket and your recorder/cables in your right pocket (using your body as an RF blocker), you will likely never get the interference.

Still, always throw the phone on airplane mode when recording (esp. if you are at a show)...watch the show not the device!

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 03:27:22 AM »
You also have to worry about the guy stood next to you, the serial texter or facebook addict.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 12:51:34 PM »
I'm on Verizon and do have issues with noise. Airplane mode is the answer.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 08:25:16 AM »
I think the culprit is unbalanced connections and the SD Card.  Eliminate either, and the problem is solved.  I've sat next to a Taper with a Tascam DR-2D who suffered from immense static interference while my rig, a Sony M-10 was immune.  The Sony records to internal memory, not an SD Card

I wonder if the new UHS-II SD cards, with a really fast write speed would eliminate write bursts and static.

SD cards are no more sensitive to RF fields than built-in memory. Both use the same form of serial interface (in fact, you can read and write SD cards with the SPI interface built into many contemporary microcontrollers). Most card sockets are shielded, BTW. A designer would have to be very incompetent to make an SD card interface RF sensitive - in fact it would not pass CE RF immunity regulations!

I do EMC tests regularly, and in my experience the main problem in this case is a weak shield of the unsymmetrical wiring. Some time ago when recording under a railway catenary of 15000V AC I had hum problems. I found out that the shield of the mic cable was not good enough. After replacing it with a better cable the problem was solved. Tip: measure the shield resistance from end to end with a good ohmmeter. I found that the ubiquitious ready made stereo cables from far east had a rather high shield resistance. Copper is expensive. Going to a show to record it too. So I built my own interconnects with high quality materials.

BTW I operate a portable transceiver for ham radio (4 times the RF power of a mobile phone) with a plug-in micro SD card to store audio and GPS tracks - and that card is built right into a transmitter! Never had a problem.

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com