Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nbox Platinum Question P48  (Read 2350 times)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Nbox Platinum Question P48
« on: May 05, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but I'm a little confused on the Nbox Platinum when it comes to P48. Does the Nbox Platinum provide phantom 48v power, or is it just providing fixed gain to the incoming signal?  If using one, would I still have to use the phantom power setting on my deck?

Thanks
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Nbox Platinum > Tascam DR-70D @ 24bit/96kHz
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Nbox Platinum > Tascam DR-70D @ 24bit/96kHz

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (133)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Nbox Platinum Question P48
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:05:10 PM »
The Nbox would act as the pre providing power to the caps!!  The Nbox has a fixed gain of 20db, but you can adjust from your recorder.  You would want to run the DR70d line in.  Hope that helps

This might be a dumb question, but I'm a little confused on the Nbox Platinum when it comes to P48. Does the Nbox Platinum provide phantom 48v power, or is it just providing fixed gain to the incoming signal?  If using one, would I still have to use the phantom power setting on my deck?

Thanks
Schoeps MK4's, MK41's> KCY 250/5 Ig> Naiant PFA(60V)> Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »
Okay, that's what I thought.  Could have sworn I saw a post saying that it did not provide phantom power.  Thanks for the clarification.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Nbox Platinum > Tascam DR-70D @ 24bit/96kHz
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Nbox Platinum > Tascam DR-70D @ 24bit/96kHz

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Trade Count: (47)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Naiant Studio
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »
It does not.

Phantom power has a specific technical meaning, which is power provided across two modulation leads for balanced signal transmission.  There are three standards for phantom power, one of which is now obsolete but sometimes still used, which are for 12V, 24V, and 48V (24V is obsolete).  There are also a range of nonstandard phantom voltages below 48V, but all are balanced.  Because phantom power is a standard, an amplifier that supplies it will support a very broad range of microphones.

Phantom power is called "phantom" because when connected to a transformer-output dynamic mic, the potential at the transformer's two leads (pins 2 and 3) is the same and therefore that microphone is not affected by the phantom power.

With active microphone systems, typically the goal is to eliminate the microphone bodies that can run on phantom power.  This is a series of compromises; you enjoy reduced size & weight, and usually also reduced power consumption.  You lose the standardization offered by phantom power, so you must rely on solutions customized for your selected active solution, which in the absence of standard means that each solution is custom and requires its own accessories, cables, and amplifiers.  Most, but not all, active systems are unbalanced, and their output impedance is typically higher than what would be expected of a phantom-powered microphone.  These factors limit the effective length of the cable from the capsule to the active amplifier (whereas a phantom powered microphone can drive cables in excess of 100m).

Thus, Nbox or any other specific active microphone amplifier does not supply phantom power, but rather microphone power in a custom format that is only applicable to the active microphone system it is designed for.  It cannot be used with a standard 48V phantom powered microphone, nor can the active capsules run directly on P48 phantom power, such as your 70D supplies--they would need a format converter such as your PFAs to translate the two systems.

Offline georgeh

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
Thanks Jon, nice explanation
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps > M148 > acm P2
Nbob active cables / PFA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (121)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »
Doesn't the NBox-P supply +60v power to the caps? I know Jon makes new PFA's that supply the proper +60v to the caps that the CMC4/5/6 bodies provide :)
Schoeps MK4's | MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS 02IB | Naiant +60v/Low Noise PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby | GakCable XLR's ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Tascam DR-70D ->
128gb | 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC-I

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 06:44:57 PM »
^I think all versions of Nbox provide 60V to capsules. 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (121)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »
^I think all versions of Nbox provide 60V to capsules. 

That's what I thought too, Guy :)
Schoeps MK4's | MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS 02IB | Naiant +60v/Low Noise PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby | GakCable XLR's ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Tascam DR-70D ->
128gb | 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC-I

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.148 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com