Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tinybox battery life (over the life of the product)....  (Read 8708 times)

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Trade Count: (47)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Naiant Studio
Re: Tinybox battery life (over the life of the product)....
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »
I don't replace the Li-ions anymore since I can't ship them.  I convert the box to NiMH using your existing charger.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »
So I pulled the battery out of my Tinybox. It has a pull off connector so it should be easy to swap out.

The photo of the connector in this link looks a little different. Is it just the photo or is it a different connector they are selling? When it comes down to it, I know I can solder the old connector to the new battery (the one without the connector), but I'd like to avoid that since my soldering skills are a little lacking (ie it will work, but it might not be pretty).

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1443074v600mah444whbatterymodulesidebysidewithprotectioniclc14430s2r1wr.aspx?variation=8162

Here is a photo of my connector (sorry about the quality).

Bonus photos of the inside of the Tinybox (1.0).

-24      -12              -6             0       OVER
||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []  
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 ~ Nevaton MCE400 ~ Countryman B3 |||
||| CABLES: Kind Kables |||
||| PREAMPS: Naiant Tinybox | Naiant Littlebox | Naiant IPA | Church BB |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | Sony M10 |||
||| PLAYBACK: Outlaw Audio RR2150 > Epos ELS8 |||
||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube Channel || Tumblr Concert Blog|||

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (133)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2016, 04:35:47 PM »
If I remember correctly Jon didn't use the connector that comes with the battery so I think you would need to get a bare wire battery and solder it into your existing connector. 
Schoeps MK4's, MK41's> KCY 250/5 Ig> Naiant PFA(60V)> Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Team Milab | TeamVW:2004 TDI Beetle -Malone1.5
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »
Jon announced a new forum on his website one of them is about battery life in the "box" series see this thread:
http://naiant.com/naiant-forums/microphone-amplifiers/discontinued-box-series-amplifiers-battery-replacement/#p3
On November 14, he states:

The box series amplifiers were in production from 2009-2014. Those that shipped with internal rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are all near or at battery end-of-life.

Because shipping regulations have gotten more strict since these devices were produced, it is no longer legal to ship the lithium-ion batteries used. Therefore, I do not offer lithium-ion battery replacement. All box series amplifiers can be converted to run on NiMH battery packs instead, as follows:

littlebox/midbox/bigbox: A 6x 2/3 AA NiMH battery pack is a drop-in replacement for most littleboxes that previously had a lithium-ion pack. There is no circuit reconfiguration required. Some littleboxes with input or output transformers in the standard case size might not have sufficient internal room for the NiMH pack, which is slightly larger. The NiMH pack with mating connector is $20.

tinybox & tinyhead: any tinybox version can be reconfigured to use a 5x AAA NiMH pack. The cost of conversion (including new battery) is $50; a new battery pack is $20. The charger originally shipped with the tinybox must continue to be used with the NiMH pack.

PIPsqueak: all PIPsqueaks use a 4x 1/3 NiMH AA battery pack. A replacement pack including connector is $20. I have found that 1/3 NiMH AA batteries have variable initial charge capacity, which can cause premature pack death when the weak cell dies. Thus, I test each battery individually before I assemble the packs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:53:05 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  •  Busman BSC2 BusBox (K21-O, K41-SC, K11-C)  • Line Audio CM3's
PreAmps:  SD USB-Pre2  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox (no bodies) • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: Zoom F8 • Tascam DR-680 • Tascam DR-60D • Marantz PMD 661 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
RODE  NT5's • Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics
==============================
Extra:  Denecke AD-20   |    Presonus FireB

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
Yeah my TB battery is pretty much at that point (and built toward the end of the run)...  Though it apparently isn't supposed to work this way (Jon indicated it wouldn't) I'd discovered if I plug it into a power outlet it supplies power (indefinitely of course), so an extension cord now travels with the rest of my gear.  That is working until I will have enough downtime to send it back for replacement...  If I use it 007 the battery is still more than adequate for the SP's.  It seems to be down to about 2 hours of phantom power though and still dropping... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com