Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: powering options for DPA4061 w/Microdots  (Read 11229 times)

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
powering options for DPA4061 w/Microdots
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:08:08 PM »
Options on powering a pair of DPA4061's w/Microdots:

1. I have a pair of HEB's with one of the mics blown. Do I send this pair to Len to match the three; find the two best and reuse his battery box? Total cost ($85 + $35) = $120 + shipping

2. Emailed Chris Church about an option to power the 4061's with microdots. He quoted me $235 + shipping for a CA9200.

Outside of an MMA6000 in the Yard Sale, what other powering options are available? Are there any members here building custom gear that I should check out? I'll be going into an R44 as well as an M10.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Re: powering options for DPA4061 w/Microdots
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »
Darktrain built me a microdot y-cable to 1/8" cable that can go into any battery box/pre that accepts 1/8".  You have to source the parts and send to him though as he doesn't stock them.  Quality build as usual!
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 05:46:00 AM »
There are also the DPA battery boxes (MPS6010/6020/6030/6040) or phantom adapters for (DAD6001)...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »
Anything providing 5 to 10Vdc mic power will work.  The bigger issue is usually accommodating the microdot termination.  The aforementioned DPA battery boxes, preamp or phantom adapters all have microdot inputs.  Otherwise you need either a custom preamp/batt-box/phantom-adapter which has microdot inputs, an adapter cable to convert the microdots to something your preamp/batt-box/phantom-adapter will accept (usually stereo mini plug or mini-xlr), or you'll need to chop off the microdots and re-terminate the mic cables.

Church-Audio preamp and battery boxes will work well into an M10 or R44.  Chris sometimes offers adapter cables and/or mircodot-dot input options. 

Naiant PFAs work great into an R44 powered by the recorder's P48 phantom.  That simplifies powering since everything then runs off the R44's power source.  That won't work for the M10 though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »
You can DIY your own micro-dot adapter cables.  I use my own custom adapter cables into either Jon's PFAs or Church Ugly premaps, both of which have a standard mini-jack inputs.  I built the stereo adapter cables using old male dot cable ends chopped from DPA mics, with the two male dot's connected via female threaded barrel connectors.

If you have no old chopped cable ends with dots on them, an alternate route is to buy a cable pre-terminated with female micro-dots, cut it in half and re-terminate the cut ends to whatever connector fits the input of your battery-box/preamp/phantom-adapter.  I've not ordered any yet, but found the source below for female micro-dot terminated cables, and intend to try this route for a couple custom multi-channel mic cables I intend to build- http://www.cdint.com/catalog/category/Cables/10-32+female/to+10-32+female/RG188+low+noise
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »
The thing I don't like about the DPA DAD6001 phantom adapter is the arrangement places the dot-connection and mic-cable in a very vulnerable position when the adapter is plugged directly into the recorder's XLR inputs.  That can be remedied by using short XLR patch cables between the adapter and recorder.  The Naiant PFAs have their input connector attached to the adapter via a short length of cable, so they are much less vulnerable than a hard-mounted microdot sticking out the end of the adapter.  They also don't protrude as far and can fit more easily in the bag.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Unless you plan on reselling your DPAs or have radio packs that use Microdots, why keep the microdots?  Is there something worthwhile to justify their expense?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 04:27:27 PM »
http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/21475-dpa-406x-powering-circuits/

If that really is the DAD6001 circuit it looks pretty simple for a $115 product. 

I'm considering a set of 4060s down the road, and I was looking for them used but then the phantom adapters aren't cheap.  I should have jumped on the stereo kit that was on the YS here but I got cold feet.

Jon, I wonder if you have built a modified PFA with microdot input for DPA users who aren't as DIY-savvy as Gutbucket?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 12:42:58 AM »
Unless you plan on reselling your DPAs or have radio packs that use Microdots, why keep the microdots?  Is there something worthwhile to justify their expense?

Hi rocks,

If you chop the microdots off and terminate in 3.5mm then you can't easily connect them to mic pres with only P48 XLR inputs.  Keeping the microdots allows you to use them with the DPA phantom adaptors and the majority of microphone inputs.  I suppose Jon could make 3.5mm PFA adaptors or a 3.5mm stereo --> 2x PFAs adaptor and you could do the same thing.  He would know best.

Microdots are a pain.  I built a 2x microdot to 3.5mm stereo adaptor since I have a stereo kit and didn't want to loose the use of my DPA adaptors.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160895.0  They make it expensive.  Looking forward to hearing how Gut likes his cut in half cables. 

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 06:33:10 AM »
Jon, I wonder if you have built a modified PFA with microdot input for DPA users who aren't as DIY-savvy as Gutbucket?

Jon already touched on this:

The microdot connectors are so expensive that I don't recommend a PFA terminated to microdot since it would only be a little cheaper than the DPA DAD6001.

Anyway, something I like about the microdots is that they are locking.  One less place where an 1/8"plug can get pulled out...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:47:40 AM »
Sorry, I missed that post earlier.

I wonder why DPA uses the microdot rather than locking 3.5mm?  It's good enough for some of the other lav mic manufacturers.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 10:28:02 AM »
Microdot is fully and properly coaxial through the connection, so it might be better shielded than many 3.5mm connections..

But it may be that microdot is more of a lab standard coaxial connection for measurement gear and its use by DPA descended from their B&K origins.  In non-audio high frequency applications it probably achieves better impedance specs where that becomes more critical.

After making accommodations for them, I don't mind them if I don't have to disconnect them regularly.  They seem better as a compact in-line connection than panel mount, where they seem a bit vulnerable to me.

With my upcoming re-rigging, I'm shifting from mini-jack to mini-xlr wherever possible, partly because they are locking, and partly to handle more than two signals through the same connection wherever necessary, for better management of the cabling for 4 to 6 channels by reducing the number of separate cables and connections.

The gory details of the re-rig for anyone interested- For the 4 x 4060 rig using standard dot-terminated mics, I'll be making a new short-breakout adapter (4 female microdot > 6-pin mini XLR).  Probably using two of the cables I've linked above instead of old male dots cut from other mics plus barrel adapters to separate stereo 3.5 plugs as I'm now doing.   For the 6 channel rig I'll be building a 6 channel snake, with longer female-dot terminated cables to the four 4098 (4098 is microdot terminated right at the end of the gooseneck a few inches from the microphone), and shorter cables spliced to the longer integral wires of a 4061 pair which are currently terminated to a stereo 3.5mm plug.  All those will either terminate to a single 7-pin mini xlr, or in pairs to 3 separate 3-pin mini-xlrs.  I'll re-terminate the 6 PFAs as three 3-pin mini-xlr pairs, and if using the single 7-pin at the end of the snake, I'll also make a 7-pin to 3 x 3-pin adapter.  I'll also need to make a short fullsized XLR to TRS patch cable pair to adapt the 2 of the PFAs to the TRS inputs of ch5&6 on the DR-680.

I'll post some photos once I do all this, probably in a couple months.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:33:01 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 04:22:17 PM »
I only offer my 9200 preamp or my ugly 2 preamp in microdot I do not make a microdot battery box there is No money in it for me as the connectors are so expensive. I would have to sell the battery box for the same price as a preamp. So I dont make battery boxes for Dpa I have microdots in stock but only for my preamps. I have had several inquires over the last 4 weeks. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »
My apologies for stretching this topic a bit...I get using 4060s in low profile recording applications.  I appreciate that some have even used them in open classical recording.   Their weakness it seems to my thinking/opinion is their durability because of the thin cable, this microdot connector and having to either use a battery box or phantom power adapter to run them.  If someone isn't concerned about going low profile, what would be some other options for a full sized XLR omni of equivalent audio quality in the same $1,000 or so price range?  Rode Nt45 omnis and Line Audio OM1s are not this expensive for example. 

Gutbucket, you've specifically chosen the DPAs over other options.  What do you see in the DPAs that causes you to use them over other available mics?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
>They sound great (typical DPA clean clear response)
>Their response is smooth enough that I can easily manipulate the recordings with EQ easily as necessary.
>They are super small and ultra stealthy.
>They are super lightweight, which along with their small size allows me to mount them in odd but useful ways I could not do otherwise: Attached to telescopic antennas arms, allowing a 6' AB spacing from a single small stand, with far less visible imposition than any other spaced omni setup, while folding down into a package about 20" long including the stand.  Gaff taped to aluminum welding rods for thin, nearly invisible stalk mounted spaced omnis along a stagelip.  And other unusual setups as well, but those are my most common open setups using them.
>The rubber boundary mount adapters are a useful option when placed on a wall or stage surface.
>Noise floor of the 4060 is low enough for classical and quiet acoustic stuff.
>4061 can easily be found used, sometimes at low prices (I bought 6 for $500 from an ebay seller, and ended up with 4 good ones)
>The 4098H is the best sounding miniature hypercardioid I've found for my applications.
>They are tough little buggers, I take good care of them as they are valuable, but don't worry if they get rained on.  I've had the omnis completely submerged and they worked fine.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but I do really like the miniature DPAs.  Although seemingly delicate I've not had much problem with the cables, they are quite tough for the size, with an internal kevlar reinforcement.  Biggest problem with the cables for me is that the center conductor is so thin it's a PITA to solder if reterminating.  DPA now offers a heavy-duty cable version option on the 406x omnis, but I've never see one in person. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »
The 'normal' DPA mic catalog is too costly for me, especially given my weirdo multi-channel recording rigs.  I do prefer my Gefell cards and supercards which I've bought used from other members here, but in my multi-channel recording setups that sound quality difference becomes less significant than in a straight 2-channel setup, and the size, weight, lower cost, and environmental toughness of the miniature DPAs wins out (decided after making numerous comparisons of identical setups).

There are of course many other options, especially miniature omnis.  I like what little I've heard from the Jon's mics (Naiant) but haven't used any myself yet and haven't heard enough from them to make a judgement.  I've considered building an alternate low-cost version of the 6-channel light-weight low-powered telescopic rig I've now settled on as more or less my 'standard' outdoor open rig, substituting Naiant omnis and supercards for the DPAs.  I'd be interested in hearing that comparison.

I tried a number of other miniature omnis which were less costly but just didn't work for me.  I had high hopes for the Countryman B3, which is the same size and weight, but it just doesn't have anything like the sound quality or smooth response EQ-ability to my ear.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 05:58:34 PM »
I hadn't realized they did the heavy duty cable for 4060; I thought it was just the 4061.  I think that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately, that's not ever what pops up on the used market, nor does it seem to come in the SMK stereo kit with the phantom adapters and other assorted goodies.

Being that I also would only use these mounted on a stand, for a brief moment I considered a used set of 4090s (linked below for those not familiar) which are the same capsule as the 4060 mounted in a body.  When I found out that you can't mount the high-boost grids on them though, I lost interest.  I think what 2manyrocks (and now me) are getting at is this: Would one of the builders here would be able to make something like a poor-man's 4090 that would still allow the grids to be mounted?  I'm envisioning the 4060 capsule sticking out of the rubber boot of an XLR connector, though I don't know if that would leave enough room for the circuitry or if it would even be a cost-effective thing to do.

The other angle I'm still considering is Line Audio OM1s, but because of their super-flat response, I would need an APE sphere for the distant placements I'm usually faced with.  My DIY skills are probably not up to something that tricky.  I wonder if this is something worthy of a Shapeways project?

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=item&category=143&item=24065

2manyrocks - I don't know if you've seen these threads on GS, but here are two examples of the kinds of cool mounting you can do with the DPA 406x:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/371020-diy-onno-mic-stand-carbon-fiber.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/331640-very-light-elegant-carbon-fiber-mic-stand-dpa4060.html
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
I'm no fan of the high-boost long-grids and don't recommend them, they are too high-Q peaky.  They are intended to correct the response for under clothing mounting on the talent for voice work.  I only keep them around to sand down to the same length of the short grids in case I need an extra, or to trade for short grids. 

I always use the short grids.  The mics are better protected and the response with them is flatter overall- it does have more of a peak around 10KHz (lower Q than the high-boost grids) than naked without any grid, but is also more extended and doesn't drop off as fast above that.   Again, my standard is "EQability" and the short grids give me that.   With the short grids it's basically a diffuse-field type shelf response.  I can adjust with EQ either way from there as necessary due to placement, distance or whatever.  Even with stealth under clothing music recording setups I prefer the short grids and add whatever high-shelf EQ is necessary.

Would one of the builders here would be able to make something like a poor-man's 4090 that would still allow the grids to be mounted?  I'm envisioning the 4060 capsule sticking out of the rubber boot of an XLR connector, though I don't know if that would leave enough room for the circuitry or if it would even be a cost-effective thing to do.

Could do that pretty easily with Naiant PFAs.  Just hardwire them to the PFA board and mount the mic in the rubber strain relief with some sealant.  Would make mounting an APE ball attachment more difficult, but with a bit more work you could mount the mic at the end of a piece of tubing about the same diameter as the mic body.

I'm sure you've seen the DIY APE sphere's I used to use, pictured in my threads here.  Not difficult to make, just Nerf gun balls with an appropriate sized hole melted through them using a big nail head headed up with a propane torch and a cut section of drinking straw inserted.  The drinking straw just makes for a smother bore so mic insertion is easier.  I've seen closed cell foam outdoor ping-pong and floating golf practice balls from the same material in slightly smaller diameters and different colors.  Could be additive manufactured (3D-printed) easily as well I suppose.

The close cell foam balls are light enough that I could use them on the end of the antennas at a wide spread, couldn't do that with a wooden sphere, unless delicate balsa.  They are well damped and don't ring as far as I can tell, with a density and surface harness sufficient for the frequencies in question.

Not sure if DPA offers the heavy duty cable on the 4060 as well as the 4061.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:44:20 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »
I'm no fan of the high-boost long-grids and don't recommend them, they are too high-Q peaky.  They are intended to correct the response for under clothing mounting on the talent for voice work.  I only keep them around to sand down to the same length of the short grids in case I need an extra, or to trade for short grids. 

I always use the short grids.  The mics are better protected and the response with them is flatter overall- it does have more of a peak around 10KHz (lower Q than the high-boost grids) than naked without any grid, but is also more extended and doesn't drop off as fast above that.   Again, my standard is "EQability" and the short grids give me that.   With the short grids it's basically a diffuse-field type shelf response.  I can adjust with EQ either way from there as necessary due to placement, distance or whatever.  Even with stealth under clothing music recording setups I prefer the short grids and add whatever high-shelf EQ is necessary.

Would one of the builders here would be able to make something like a poor-man's 4090 that would still allow the grids to be mounted?  I'm envisioning the 4060 capsule sticking out of the rubber boot of an XLR connector, though I don't know if that would leave enough room for the circuitry or if it would even be a cost-effective thing to do.

Could do that pretty easily with Naiant PFAs.  Just hardwire them to the PFA board and mount the mic in the rubber strain relief with some sealant.  Would make mounting an APE ball attachment more difficult, but with a bit more work you could mount the mic at the end of a piece of tubing about the same diameter as the mic body.

I'm sure you've seen the DIY APE sphere's I used to use, pictured in my threads here.  Not difficult to make, just Nerf gun balls with an appropriate sized hole melted through them using a big nail head headed up with a propane torch and a cut section of drinking straw inserted.  The drinking straw just makes for a smother bore so mic insertion is easier.  I've seen closed cell foam outdoor ping-pong and floating golf practice balls from the same material in slightly smaller diameters and different colors.  Could be additive manufactured (3D-printed) easily as well I suppose.

The close cell foam balls are light enough that I could use them on the end of the antennas at a wide spread, couldn't do that with a wooden sphere, unless delicate balsa.  They are well damped and don't ring as far as I can tell, with a density and surface harness sufficient for the frequencies in question.

Not sure if DPA offers the heavy duty cable on the 4060 as well as the 4061.

I wasn't aware the high boost grids made things that peaky.  The result I'm looking for is something good for diffuse-field work and it's good to know that the short grids do that.

Yes, I have seen your APE spheres for DPAs and they are very cool.  I was only considering them for use with something like the OM1 though, not the DPAs.  From the classical recordings I've heard with 4060s, I think the DPAs would work great with me without spheres. 

It seems like spheres for the OM1s would bit more complicated to make due to the shape of those mics.  If I had a drill press as Jon mentions, it would probably not be a big deal, but sadly there's no garage in my apartment where I can keep it.  That's why I would pay a reasonable price for someone to make a set.

If money wasn't a consideration, I'd just buy the 4060s, but the OM1s are $275 a pair shipped and I really love how they sound.  I'd just need to figure out the sphere for distance work.

Here's the 4060 heavy duty.  Looks like it's about $30 more than the standard version:
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=128&item=24741
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1051079-REG/dpa_microphones_sco60ba10_h_d_screet_heavy_duty_omni.html/?gclid=CLOe9JzQzMYCFYyQHwod5n4I1g

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
If money wasn't a consideration, I'd just buy the 4060s, but the OM1s are $275 a pair shipped and I really love how they sound.  I'd just need to figure out the sphere for distance work.

If you like the sound of the OM1s and don't need miniature or low-voltage powering than the choice is easy.  Use them without an attachment and EQ in as much diffuse response as you like.  If you find you want to play around with changing their polar response, a sphere attachment can probably be figured out (I'm trying to recall the shape of the OM1).. or maybe a flat plate attachment instead, which may be easier and cheaper to 3D print or otherwise make from wood, a container lid, or a CD / DVD.. actually the clear plastic disc from the top of a CDR spindle stack might work nicely.  With a plate the off-axis won't be as smooth, and the on-axis bump more pronounced, I'd guess that kind of thing is probably used more as an on-axis response modification for instrument mic'ing rather than for far-field ambient stereo config use.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »

If you like the sound of the OM1s and don't need miniature or low-voltage powering than the choice is easy.  Use them without an attachment and EQ in as much diffuse response as you like.  If you find you want to play around with changing their polar response, a sphere attachment can probably be figured out (I'm trying to recall the shape of the OM1).. or maybe a flat plate attachment instead, which may be easier and cheaper to 3D print or otherwise make from wood, a container lid, or a CD / DVD.. actually the clear plastic disc from the top of a CDR spindle stack might work nicely.  With a plate the off-axis won't be as smooth, and the on-axis bump more pronounced, I'd guess that kind of thing is probably used more as an on-axis response modification for instrument mic'ing rather than for far-field ambient stereo config use.

Thanks for the advice.  There's a good picture of the OM1 on this page.  The angled part at the capsule end is what I thought would be tricky to get a corresponding hole drilled into a sphere.
http://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
Maybe attaching spheres to the OM1 is not such a good idea.  Read posts 174 and 176 here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/745131-om1-whats-about-6.html#post10457749

I guess if I want a diffuse-field omni, then I should just use one built to be just that, rather than try to make a free-field omni into something it's not.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
Ahh typical GS  ::)  Looks like they were arguing about the applicability of the 3:1 rule for stereo omni mic'ing on the page prior.  I can only read GS in small doses.  Too much weeding necessary to get to the real dirt.  I like to listen to the posted samples though.  :P

Since we're already OT here..

Jon, I know you've made disk attachments for some of your omnis- both wooden and 3D printed if I recall correctly.  I've never used a disk on an omni.  I'm curious to hear how you characterize their effect and what you'd consider appropriate (and inappropriate) applications for them?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »
voltronic, if you pick up a pair of the OM1 measure the diameter of the capsule opening end, the diameter of the body, and the length of the taper and I'll make you a couple spheres you can slip onto them to experiment with.

The trickiest part of using them with the 4060 is securing the mics in them so that the capsule grid remains flush with the sphere.  That should be less of a problem with the OM1 since the mic is big enough to push the sphere onto until flush, and the foam will stretch slightly upon insertion to hold it in place.  I'll figure out a way to mill an appropriate hole.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 10:42:26 PM »
If you could remove the capsule or otherwise protect it, you could make a straight collar with a tapered inside shaft by sticking the body in the appropriate sized tube filled with rtv sealant.  Let the sealant cure.  Then drill a straight hole through the sphere.  Slip it over the collar.

Would that work?  Or does the sphere have to have the taper so there isn't a big difference between the end of the capsule and the body of the sphere? 

Offline voltronic

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 11:03:55 PM »
voltronic, if you pick up a pair of the OM1 measure the diameter of the capsule opening end, the diameter of the body, and the length of the taper and I'll make you a couple spheres you can slip onto them to experiment with.

The trickiest part of using them with the 4060 is securing the mics in them so that the capsule grid remains flush with the sphere.  That should be less of a problem with the OM1 since the mic is big enough to push the sphere onto until flush, and the foam will stretch slightly upon insertion to hold it in place.  I'll figure out a way to mill an appropriate hole.

That's very generous of you!  I wasn't specifically asking someone to do this for me right now; more just speaking in the hypothetical at this point.  If at some point I do pick up a pair of them, I will definitely consider your offer.  I think I'm going to abandon the 4060 idea for right now, unless a really cherry pair at a crazy price falls into my lap.  The OM1s are really more in line with what I can afford.

Pulling the thread further OT...  I can't figure GS out.  On one hand, I enjoy all of the classical / acoustic recording discussion over there since that's what I do, and there are quite a few members there who that is clearly their full time job.  Some of them, like Boojum and Jim Williams are quite helpful.  On the other hand, I am disappointed by users who don't have patience for those who are not already experts in this field, and/or who don't have the resources to get a hold of an 788T, a pair of M150s, etc. such as the comment Jon noted.

Then there's JWSound which I recently started reading again... yikes that's another universe over there.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »
Then there are the people who although they may get paid to record don't have a firm grasp of physics.  Not too many of those on Remote, but High End is a nightmare.

That's why I restrict myself to Remote when there - even the testy/impatient people at least seem to be intelligent.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »
There are some other sphere making posts over there.  One guy bought predrlled craft balls and then used a 20mm bit to enlarge the hole.  The om1 has a 20mm body that drops down to accommodate a 10mm capsule.  I see some tapered 20mm drll bits.  Maybe there is one that has the right taper? 

I think GS has calmed down a bit lately.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com