Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: does this waveform look wierd to you (tinybox>ad2k)  (Read 3033 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
does this waveform look wierd to you (tinybox>ad2k)
« on: July 05, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
from last night, nbobs>tinybox (high gain)>ad2k at +24 db input level>digi in>pmd661 . was peaking at 12 db, i though i was ok but it appears im brickwalling/limiiting somewhere

close up

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:52:11 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
Re: does this waveform look wierd to you (tinybox>ad2k)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
ah that makes sense. was in my bag and wasnt even watching. are all TB's the same max input level?  i have 2

the one i bought from you in sept 2013, where i requested both LNA + headphone amp and you had some design compromises with that combo so i ended up with:

"I built your box with standard gain (4/16/30) as the headphone amplifier was unstable at 40dB gain with maximum load and volume using the Nbox input. "

and:

"I used a new intermediate amp in this unit as it was more stable than the low noise amp.  Noise performance is in between; -122dBV (unweighted) EIN vs. -125dBV for the low-noise amp and -115dBV for the standard amp.  Its noise floor will be lower than the CMR or Nbox microphones.  It also uses 1/3 the current of the low-noise amp and only twice that of the standard amp, so runtimes will be longer than with the low-noise amp. "

I also own ghomenghasts which was built more recently:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172272

i dont have specs on this new one but i assume its an off-the shelf unit? it has a 3 way toggle for power (high (up)/off(center)/low(down)). my old TB only has off and on in that switch. whats the difference? my pinout on my old unit is:

"6-pin input pinout: 1 +8V 2 R+ (CMR) 3 L+ (CMR) 4 +54V 5 R-&16V (Nbox) 6 L-&16V (Nbox) chassis gnd"

wanna make sure i dont cook my CMRs by accidentally sending high voltage to them, though i think cabling takes care of that. I have no idea of how ghormenghast's pinout is, only that it works with nbobs as is

thanks

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:22:11 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:51 PM »
ok so if you say the TB clips at +13dBu, i should be running the ad2k input level at +14dBu to match the levels, so 0dB on the ad2k is within a dB or so of the tinybox's clip point

and 'mid' gain (+18dB) would be best in this case

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »
I've only used the high gain setting on mine once for a quiet show at a bar. I have nowhere to post the recording since they're not on LMA.
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com