Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 2Phant vs Denecke PS-2  (Read 6000 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
2Phant vs Denecke PS-2
« on: July 20, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »
Which one is better? On the core sound website it mentions that the Phant runs for 5 hours and 3 minutes where as the Denecke runs at 18 minutes when using 48v @ 10 mA channel, two channels. Is that true or is it just marketing to get people to buy it.

If anyone has used both of them, which will be more quitter. The core sound costs over $100 more than denecke but is it worth the price?

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: 2Phant vs Denecke PS-2
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:43:58 AM »
I've hot-swapped the battery in the PS2.  I haven't measured it directly, but it seems to have sufficient capacity to maintain the voltage for a few seconds with the battery removed.  The Deneke design is such that I can swap it in less than a second.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »
The PS-2 can also be run from an external 7-24v battery, not just the standard "transistor" 9v.

I have no idea if the 2phant has this capability.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
The PS-2 can also be run from an external 7-24v battery, not just the standard "transistor" 9v.

I have no idea if the 2phant has this capability.

"External power supply or battery pack: 7 to 14 VDC @ 200 mA (minimum) via 5.0/2.1mm DC power jack"

http://www.core-sound.com/2Phant/2.php
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »
I ran the PS-2 with DPA 4021s for about 4 hours on a single battery. YMMW, etc.

You might notice that approximately nobody here has used the Coresound product, though many have used the Denecke. That's not always a sure thing way to answer a question, but I'd say it's a data point....
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 04:31:29 PM »
I ran the PS2 for about 25 minutes with a Avenson STO-2 Stereo pair an the low power light came on...they are known to be power hogs...ran 5-6 hours with AKG460's low level power light still not on but I would swap out the 9v at the first chance I got.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 04:36:22 PM »
If I recall correctly, when I spoke to Denecke about the PS-2's low battery light, it is triggered when voltage drops below 7v.

With Busman BSC1, I could get 5 hours off one 9v battery, but I usually ran with RC battery power. 1800mAh lasted around 19 hours.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
I ran the PS2 for about 25 minutes with a Avenson STO-2 Stereo pair an the low power light came on...they are known to be power hogs

STO-2 is rated at 6mA, so that would make Core's measurements a bit too generous to the PS2.

Could have been the cheapo 9v's I purchased in bulk were not up to snuff for the load of the STO-2's...I would use two new 9v's every night with the old AKG460-PS2-AD20 rig for peace of mind...the cost added up quickly when using Duracell-EverReady 9v's & the cheapo 9v's were trays of 24 that cost about the same as a half dozen of the Premium Brands
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:13:26 PM by Hypnocracy »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline pdastoor

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:40:48 PM »
thank you, i guess i will go with the ps2. does anyone know what the power adapter for the ps2 is called, can someone link me to a link where i can purchase it? i can't find it anywhere. if it uses a generic adapter, can i get a link to one that is good?

Also what is the longest lasting type of 9v battery to use for the ps-1 or 2. Does it accept Li-ON rechargeable batteries? On their website it only mentions alkalines but im not sure
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:54:58 AM by pdastoor »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 08:24:55 AM »
thank you, i guess i will go with the ps2. does anyone know what the power adapter for the ps2 is called, can someone link me to a link where i can purchase it? i can't find it anywhere. if it uses a generic adapter, can i get a link to one that is good?

Also what is the longest lasting type of 9v battery to use for the ps-1 or 2. Does it accept Li-ON rechargeable batteries? On their website it only mentions alkalines but im not sure

I remember a friend getting a rechargeable 9v stuck in the slot...  Be careful...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 09:15:58 AM »
The plug for external power is just a mono 1/8" connector.  But beware--there is an issue with this type of connector in that it momentarily shorts out the power supply when it's inserted or removed, so you should plug the cable into the PS2 before attaching the other end to the battery.  People found this out the hard way when they plugged in the cable to their battery first and then as they plugged the other end into the ps2 it shorted and tripped the short-circuit protection in the battery, and unless they had their charger with them to reset the battery they were SOL.

If you're not handy at making your own cable there are people here that can make one for you, just check the Retail Space thread in the Marketplace.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com