Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: small, reasonably priced pre-amp for Sonic Studios DSM mics  (Read 2692 times)

Offline markbalogh

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
small, reasonably priced pre-amp for Sonic Studios DSM mics
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:04:48 PM »
Any thoughts on a small(ish) pre that could be used with Sonic Studios DSM mics for stealth recording? Currently using simple single AA "battery box" with switchable bass-roll off from Sonic and have been pretty happy with it but wondering if even better results would be possible and if it's worth the cost/upgrade. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: small, reasonably priced pre-amp for Sonic Studios DSM mics
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
Sonic Studios preamps are quite expensive and nobody else makes ones that work with their mics. Also Sonic Studios battery boxes seem rather ungainly to me (not compact enough).

Unless you are recording very quiet stuff, you will be fine skipping both of the above and running the mics "mic in" to a Sony M-10 or D5. Both power the mics perfectly according to guysonic and I've made great sounding recordings of stuff that isn't particularly loud with both recorders. I believe the D50 provides about 10 dB more gain than the M10 if you think that would be a plus.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com