Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How can I match levels on FP24 and DR-2d?  (Read 3200 times)

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
How can I match levels on FP24 and DR-2d?
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:33:56 PM »
I saw a thread on how to do this on the M10, not sure if the same values would apply to the DR-2d as well. Any help or input would be appreciated.
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Re: How can I match levels on FP24 and DR-2d?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:46:01 PM »
You might have already seen this, but I'll throw it out there just in case.  This is courtesy of Digigal.  I always forget how to do this, so I snapped a couple screenshots and keep them handy. ;)

Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
Thanks, that's what I saw prior to posting this. So I should use the 1khz tone rather than the Slate tone I take it? Levels should match up the same? Just wasn't sure if the values differed between the m10 and DR-2d. Just wanted to make sure I was doing this correctly. Thanks!
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »
Yes, use the 1khz tone.

The Digigal procedure china posted is spot on.

The thing is that with a DR2d line-input, the range of available level adjustment is far more limited than the M10, and totals about 5 dB, which may not be enough to calibrate the meters of both devices so that they read identically. 

The input level for the DR2d's line-in needs to be set between 95 and 100.  Do not go below 95.  If you can get the meters aligned within that region, great.  If not you have a few choices:
1) Use sufficient attenuation between the FP24 and DR2d to allow you to get the meters to align.
2) Set the DR2d line-in level to 95 (the least sensitive end of that 95 to 100 range, which should be closest to achieving the correct calibration).  Clap or otherwise make noise through the mics while adjusting the gain of the FP24 until the DR2d meters are just about reaching 0dbFS (threshold of clipping) and note that meter reading on the FP24.  You may want to mark that point on the FP24 meter.  That point is now equivalent to 0dbFS on the DR2d and becomes your never to exceed point on the FP24 meter.
3) Worth a try- Switch to using the mic-input on the DR2d, set to low-gain, and see if you can get closer.  Do not go below 65 using mic-input/low-gain.  It probably won't but it's worth a shot.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 04:30:40 PM »
I was able to get to either -19/-21 using line in set at about 97-99. I switched over to mic in and found I needed to be below 67, which I thought was the "unity gain", and didn't want to set it less than that. I was using the tape out off the fp24 rather than the xlr outs as those run hotter per what I have read. This is all using the 1khz tone and not with mics plugged in however.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:32:29 PM by greenmtnsrider »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 04:42:39 PM »
I was able to get to either -19/-21 using line in set at about 97-99.

That's your sweet spot right there.  Done.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »
I was able to get to either -19/-21 using line in set at about 97-99. I switched over to mic in and found I needed to be below 67, which I thought was the "unity gain", and didn't want to set it less than that. I was using the tape out off the fp24 rather than the xlr outs as those run hotter per what I have read. This is all using the 1khz tone and not with mics plugged in however.

You might want to read through this excellent thread, which explains that there's really no such thing as "unity gain" in this application.

That said, I still use the same guidelines from DigiGal to set levels between my FP24 and M10.  While it's not unity gain because that's not possible on a recorder such as this, it's still good practice because it ensures that you're using the device with the much better preamp to do most of (not all) the gain adjustment, thus getting a good S/N ratio, etc.

Also, you definitely do not want to run the XLR outs of the FP24 into anything but professional gear that can accept a very hot level.  Tape Out is the way to go.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 06:47:27 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated as always...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com