Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680mkII AC power to internal battery switchover, glitchless?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline n3mmr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I tested simply pulling out the dc plug from the right side of the dr680mkii while playing back a recording.

Surpirisingly, I couldn't hear any glitch of any kind.

Is that supposed to always work, i e can you disconnect an external battery while recording, connect another battery and expect the internal batteries to keep the box recording w/o problems while doing this??
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:43:11 AM by n3mmr »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Tascam DR-680mkII AC power to internal battery switchover, glitchless?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 09:11:36 AM »
Yep. That's the way it works. 

Good practice to always keep a good set of batteries in there even if using an external battery, providing an backup uninterruptible power supply.  Most other recorders work this way too.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline n3mmr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:40:12 AM »
Will the recorder switch over to/from internal batteries based on the voltage at the DC plug or the presence of the plug? If voltage, WHAT voltage will trigger?

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »
Good practice to always keep a good set of batteries in there even if using an external battery, providing an backup uninterruptible power supply.  Most other recorders work this way too.
This is definitely a good practice. Unfortunately I decided not to mess with the internals for a show on Friday and my previously always reliable DVD battery died part of the way through the show. First time I have every had an issue with that DVD battery, I guess it has just gotten old. Really kicking myself for not putting internals in this time around.

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
Anyone think this will work with the Tascam dr-680 or 680mkii if the re is a difference?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181917315034

They seem inexpensive and have a variety of sizes.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline n3mmr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 06:05:35 AM »
On the German Amazon site, a user opened one of these up, after it simply didn't work.

He found a mixture of ordinary, even very low quality, phone battery packs. They were of different capacities, and couldn't possibly support the stated specs...

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »
On the German Amazon site, a user opened one of these up, after it simply didn't work.

He found a mixture of ordinary, even very low quality, phone battery packs. They were of different capacities, and couldn't possibly support the stated specs...

Interesting…not surprising.  I'm sure the quality control on these is lacking to say the least.  I know someone that used one on a Zoom F8 with good results, but that may be fortunate luck.  Will wait to see more reviews on it.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com