Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Behringer UMC202HD...worth it?  (Read 4251 times)

Offline captainentropy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Behringer UMC202HD...worth it?
« on: March 03, 2016, 10:29:48 PM »
The Behringer UMC202HD U-Phoria USB Audio Interface with MIDAS Microphone Preamplifiers is currently on sale from the manufacturer for $50 with free shipping. It's a little more at Sweetwater and Musician's Friend, and a lot more at Amazon. It looks like it's being discontinued as BH no longer carries it.

I find no mention of this device here. Does anyone have any experience with it? It seems like Behringer doesn't have a good rep here. I have no experience with them or any preamp for that matter.

Thanks!

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Behringer UMC202HD...worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 01:01:45 AM »
What are your plans for it?

I might pick one up for home recording. Doesn't look like it has an option for non USB power so you're likely not going to run this in the field (without a laptop).

Coming up for $59.99 for me here:

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/UMC202HD/p/P0BJZ

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 02:02:42 AM »
It seems like Behringer doesn't have a good rep here

Learn early... 

Save your money and buy what you really need... 

Behringer sells decent products..  But if you really want quality, you'll wait and save...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 07:01:45 AM »
WOW

192 kHz Precision..!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
The MIDAS pres do sound very nice...I like the stereo pairs I've recorded though the X32. Nothing to really hesitate about there...

If you are doing laptop recording - its probably a good deal...

Its up in the air what it might do as a standalone preamp...connected to a recorder via 1/4 inch outs...

At best - its probably A>D>A at the output - But I'd imagine it would be easy to power with a USB battery

At worst...It might not do anything without being attached to computer...things like sample rate are going to be software only control - so you might not have a choice even if it does pass signal with no computer.

Offline captainentropy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I don't have anything in mind to use it for in particular. I was looking for a phantom power supply or preamp for taping and I stumbled across this. It does have USB bus power, and I have some big USB power supplies, so I could conceivably use it in the field, but it's on the bigger side. I will probably get a good recorder with 48V power (e.g. the PMD661MKII from Oade).

Free DAW software too. Not familiar with Tracktion. I don't know how good it is compared to Adobe Soundbooth or Audacity, which is what I use now for editing audio recordings.

Maybe it would be a good headphone amp for my computer? My soundcard isn't that powerful. For $49.99 though....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com