Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can preamps go bad?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Can preamps go bad?
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:23:04 PM »
Can preamps slowly go bad over time but still work?  I've had a Church Audio CA-9000 since 2008 and for the past year or two it seems like the right channel is less powerful than the right.  I've only got one preamp right now, but I've used two different mics, different connecting cables between the preamp and recorder, and two different recorders (this problem is why I bought the second recorder) so I've narrowed the problem to the preamp.  I've tried cleaning the connectors with rubbing alcohol and that seemed to help a little bit, but not enough, so I ordered a new preamp.  But can my old preamp be repaired or refurbished?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Can preamps go bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 10:02:09 PM »
It's gain has drifted a bit, assuming it was OK when you started using it, of course.

Nothing you can't fix easily.  :hmmm:

You watched the levels on your left channel for overs when you recorded.  That was good.

Load into Audacity, "Split Stereo Track" into left and right channels.

Amp up the right channel.  I like using the "Envelope Tool" for this, instead of having to zero in on a guess for the amount of gain to add.

When you are satisfied, then "Make Stereo Track", and of course, "Save As.."
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Can the preamp be fixed?

Yes.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »

Load into Audacity, "Split Stereo Track" into left and right channels.

Amp up the right channel.  I like using the "Envelope Tool" for this, instead of having to zero in on a guess for the amount of gain to add.

When you are satisfied, then "Make Stereo Track", and of course, "Save As.."

Thanks!  I really do need to learn to use Audacity better, so this tip will help me fix some shows I wasn't happy with.  Luckily it's not too bad, but once I get my new preamp I think that I'll send this one to Chris Church for a checkup and repair.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 05:30:08 AM »
Yeah, in WaveLab, I highlight each channel separately, and add gain until both the Left/Right tracks look pretty close 8) Then just save as a stereo track! And if you're taping in 24-Bit, you should be able to adjust left/right levels without any worry of bringing up the noise-floor, if one channel is a good bit off from the other!

That should do the job just fine until you get it fixed, unless they're WAY off!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com