Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My first record: could you give me some feedback?  (Read 11944 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: My first record: could you give me some feedback?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Forgot to say in my first post, thanks for using The Rising, as it's one of the few Springsteen songs I really like! To be honest, I don't really like "The Boss" all that much, and I tried to become a fan for years since my mom loved him. Even saw him at Bonnaroo, and it's probably the only show where I've ever fallen asleep (due to it being my first huge fest, and not the music).
I also fell asleep during that show, due to a combination of heat stroke and party favors....woke up and he was playing Santa Claus is Coming to Town...very confusing...

The Christmas song was weird to say the least. I can't believe anyone enjoys that.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 12:59:58 PM »
Sounds good Paul....hope you can record some The Cure shows in November ;D

Offline PaulCayard

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 02:19:40 AM »
Thanks Jhurlbs81 and beatkilla!

I'm not going to any The Cure show but... never say never!
Anyway I've tickets for another big band show (RHCP) on October: your previously owned subcards will get some fresh air... :-D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:21:29 AM by PaulCayard »
Mics: Nakamichi CM-300 JB mod (CP-1, CP-3), AT853 4.7k mod (SC/C/H), AT U853 4.7k mod (C/H), CA-14 (C)
Pre-amp/Power: CA-9200, CA-9100, CA-UBB, SP-SPSB-10
Recorder: Roland R-07, Sony M10, Tascam DR-2d (x2), Roland R-05

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 05:21:44 AM »
Sounds good Paul....hope you can record some The Cure shows in November ;D

+1

;D

greetings
pm
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 05:23:06 AM »
Thanks Jhurlbs81 and beatkilla!

I'm not going to any The Cure show but... never say never!
Anyway I've tickets for another big band show (RHCP) on October: your previously owned subcards will get some fresh air... :-D

the 'SC' caps are my favourite ones ...
just used themlast night for LeƦther Strip
and the result is just great.

pm
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 07:29:01 AM »
I typically try and get approximately halfway between soundboard and stage dead center.  Impressive effort first time out though.  There have been tapers who have done it for many years making "excellent" recordings who don't do as well and aren't interested in improving their craft.

oh for Christ sakes, some people don't buy into the "you must spend $3K on mics to get a nice recording" philosophy.

this was recorded with a $90 deck with internal mics, and it sounds just fine (actually, much better than fine):

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126906

did I mention I set the deck on the floor, by the performers feet? (i.e. about the worst spot you could tape from, other than the bathroom)

conversely: "some people lean too heavily on the money spent on equipment vs. learning optimal positioning, and how their gear actually works. and some people audio tape from where they are shooting video, which is also most often far from the stage or PA.

I have numerous shows taped from far away that sound excellent as well.

but your veiled comments are cute, I'll give you that.

like "ugly puppy" cute.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »
Sure, just put your mics on the stage in front of Flea for that RHCP show. You'll be all set.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »
I typically try and get approximately halfway between soundboard and stage dead center.  Impressive effort first time out though.  There have been tapers who have done it for many years making "excellent" recordings who don't do as well and aren't interested in improving their craft.

oh for Christ sakes, some people don't buy into the "you must spend $3K on mics to get a nice recording" philosophy.

this was recorded with a $90 deck with internal mics, and it sounds just fine (actually, much better than fine):

did I mention I set the deck on the floor, by the performers feet? (i.e. about the worst spot you could tape from, other than the bathroom)

conversely: "some people lean too heavily on the money spent on equipment vs. learning optimal positioning, and how their gear actually works. and some people audio tape from where they are shooting video, which is also most often far from the stage or PA.

like "ugly puppy" cute.

Yes, you have proven my point.   If you consider that a recording you are proud of then there is nothing I can say to make you get it.  Personally I couldn't listen to more than five minutes of that before I'd go for something better.  Better gear, better location and knowing how to use your gear makes for better recordings.  I am still waiting to hear any of your recording that sound excellent regardless of location.  You may think they do, but then again you think spending money on gear is a waste of money or you just can't afford it so you are attempting to justify your lack of funds. 

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 05:07:07 PM »
Sure, just put your mics on the stage in front of Flea for that RHCP show. You'll be all set.

with low gain and dual record mode, that would be easy as cake to do, and sound better than any mic stand recording.

positioning: TEN times as important as money spent
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »

like "ugly puppy" cute.

Yes, you have proven my point.   If you consider that a recording you are proud of then there is nothing I can say to make you get it.  Personally I couldn't listen to more than five minutes of that before I'd go for something better.  Better gear, better location and knowing how to use your gear makes for better recordings.  I am still waiting to hear any of your recording that sound excellent regardless of location.  You may think they do, but then again you think spending money on gear is a waste of money or you just can't afford it so you are attempting to justify your lack of funds.

not at all, I clear $5K a month on my legal hippie lettuce hobby alone, so money is not an issue.

you don't need a $10K knife to skin a cat. you can do a stellar job with a $100 knife, that is, if you know what the fuck you are doing.

not to mention you didn't even listen to it yet (you've captured 6% of it so far, so at least your curiosity is piqued), so you're proving my point quite nicely.

you can hear every element necessary on this recording, sans distortion. clarity, fingers dragging on the strings, a bit of crowd noise, but it was a full service restaurant, with clinking plates and glasses less than 3 feet from the stage.

it's YOUR side of the street if your hearing is subpar.

your faux elitism based on microphones is suspect as well.

true story.

I'm sorry that you lack the intelligence to milk a gem recording with minimalist gear.

again, that's your side of the street.
-------------

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
If you consider that a recording you are proud of then there is nothing I can say to make you get it. 

again, YOU HAVE NOT EVEN LISTENED TO IT YET.

if you're going to LIE about something so inherently simple, then why would anyone trust what a proven liar has to say about microphones?

even Ben Harper would laugh in your face

what a fucking buffoon.
-------------

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 05:42:03 PM »

like "ugly puppy" cute.

not at all, I clear $5K a month on my legal hippie lettuce hobby alone, so money is not an issue.

you don't need a $10K knife to skin a cat. you can do a stellar job with a $100 knife, that is, if you know what the fuck you are doing.

not to mention you didn't even listen to it yet (you've captured 6% of it so far, so at least your curiosity is piqued), so you're proving my point quite nicely.

you can hear every element necessary on this recording, sans distortion. clarity, fingers dragging on the strings, a bit of crowd noise, but it was a full service restaurant, with clinking plates and glasses less than 3 feet from the stage.

it's YOUR side of the street if your hearing is subpar.

your faux elitism based on microphones is suspect as well.

true story.

I'm sorry that you lack the intelligence to milk a gem recording with minimalist gear.

again, that's your side of the street.

$5k a month.  wow, big dollars.  That's $60K a year, definitely not big enough dollars to afford a big boy rig. 

Dude I downloaded a sample, couldn't listen to more than a few minutes of the shrill vocals.  If it was worthy I'd download more but 2 songs was more than enough.  It is far from a gem recording.  Slightly better than an iphone recording, I'll give you that but nothing more.  You haven't listened to my recordings and you won't accept an A/B blind comparison.  I'd throw my worst recordings against your best but you will have a lame excuse why it's not a valid comparison.  You seem to think I don't know what I'm doing but without listening to anything that just proves you don't know what you are doing.  Tossing a DR-2D on the stage isn't taping.  It involves a bit more and quality gear is one key part of it.  You don't need a $10K knife to skin a cat but you do need quality gear to make excellent recordings.  Location is another key component and putting a recorder with internal mics just isn't the best way to do it.  A spot dead center in front of the soundboard, a spot in front of the stacks or a spot in front of the balcony is going to make a better recording than tossing a $90 bit bucket on the edge of the stage.  You won't accept that so its just a waste of time.  Flame away and demonstrate your ignorance and continue to pollute the thread of a new taper who did a damn good job on his first try and is eager to improve his recordings by reaching out to those who have more experience.  Obviously you have learned all you need to know.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »
If you consider that a recording you are proud of then there is nothing I can say to make you get it. 

again, YOU HAVE NOT EVEN LISTENED TO IT YET.

if you're going to LIE about something so inherently simple, then why would anyone trust what a proven liar has to say about microphones?

even Ben Harper would laugh in your face

what a fucking buffoon.

2 tracks downloaded, sampled and deleted.  NOT WORTHY OF FREE BANDWIDTH.  No need to lie about it.  I, at least have given your garbage a listen.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 06:48:59 PM »

$5k a month.  wow, big dollars.  That's $60K a year, definitely not big enough dollars to afford a big boy rig. 

Dude I downloaded a sample, couldn't listen to more than a few minutes of the shrill vocals.  If it was worthy I'd download more but 2 songs was more than enough.  It is far from a gem recording.  Slightly better than an iphone recording, I'll give you that but nothing more.  You haven't listened to my recordings and you won't accept an A/B blind comparison.  I'd throw my worst recordings against your best but you will have a lame excuse why it's not a valid comparison.  You seem to think I don't know what I'm doing but without listening to anything that just proves you don't know what you are doing.  Tossing a DR-2D on the stage isn't taping.  It involves a bit more and quality gear is one key part of it.  You don't need a $10K knife to skin a cat but you do need quality gear to make excellent recordings.  Location is another key component and putting a recorder with internal mics just isn't the best way to do it.  A spot dead center in front of the soundboard, a spot in front of the stacks or a spot in front of the balcony is going to make a better recording than tossing a $90 bit bucket on the edge of the stage.  You won't accept that so its just a waste of time.  Flame away and demonstrate your ignorance and continue to pollute the thread of a new taper who did a damn good job on his first try and is eager to improve his recordings by reaching out to those who have more experience.  Obviously you have learned all you need to know.

I already PROVED that you are an outright liar, so what you have to say about expensive rigs is considered suspect as well.

you can not listen to something that you have not downloaded.

that said, if you think my 'hobby' is my sole source of income, you are sorely mistaken.

not to mention, if you say the vocals are "shrill", you are as deaf as you are dumb, as it plays back at 100% volume with great clarity.

expensive setups are NOT necessary to pull excellent sounding recordings.

I'm sorry you fell for the con job.
-------------

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2016, 06:50:14 PM »

2 tracks downloaded, sampled and deleted.  NOT WORTHY OF FREE BANDWIDTH.  No need to lie about it.  I, at least have given your garbage a listen.

your recordings sound the SAME as mine, and you spent 20 times as much to do so.

PT Barnum was right.
-------------

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com