Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: question about recording formats...  (Read 2594 times)

Offline phatdats

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • phatdats.com
question about recording formats...
« on: July 29, 2016, 06:42:04 PM »
I have been a taper for a looong time (used to be pretty good with my quick tape flips on my marantz PMD430!!) then went to dat, then a viao with VXpocket.......etc

then I stopped about 5 years ago when the kids came and I am now getting back in with an R44.  here is the question:

When I was taping, it was an arms race trying to get the highest resolution recordings. 16/44 then 16/48 then 24/48 and I was on top of the world (7 years ago) at 24/96, burning them to my DVD-A player... now I seem to notice most people are recording 24/48k.  why?  what gives?

Thanks for any explanations :)

Steve
mg300>v2>minime>r4

steve@phatdats.com
www.phatdats.com

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: question about recording formats...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 06:57:34 PM »
As you might imagine, this has been covered here, but I have always found this article to be useful for understanding the technology.

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I run 24/44.1, but only to avoid quality loss during post-processing. I only listen to 16/44.1 because of the explanation in the article, and my own ABX tests (blind testing of 2 different audio files containing the same musical passage. It helps that I'm 49 and can't hear high frequencies.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 07:04:22 PM »
Can you actually hear a significant difference between 24/48 and 24/96 in a proper blind test?

Most who honestly test themselves (done correctly) cannot.  Just takes extra space to store the larger files.  Practicality prevails, sometimes.

24/48 is enough for me, providing a slight safety buffer over 16/44.1 and little excess penalty.  If the difference there is inconsequential it doesn't matter much.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »
Agreed with the last two posts. I run 24/48 even though my DR-70D can potentially run 24/96. 24/96 are a high file size vs. 24/48. I feel like when recording at 24 bit, we are already recording at a rate higher than will typically be utilized for playback. The only reason I even do that is for the potential to amplify or normalize levels in post.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
Can you actually hear a significant difference between 24/48 and 24/96 in a proper blind test?

Most who honestly test themselves (done correctly) cannot.  Just takes extra space to store the larger files.  Practicality prevails, sometimes.

24/48 is enough for me, providing a slight safety buffer over 16/44.1 and little excess penalty.  If the difference there is inconsequential it doesn't matter much.

My thoughts exactly  24 48

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 09:39:29 PM »
+1 24/48

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 07:31:15 AM »
I record at 24/96 for bigger shows or my fav bands just because I can honestly, and 24/44.1 for festies and everything else! I certainly cant hear a diff between 24bit vs 16bit! But I record in 24/96 just because of post processing advantages like noise floors/dynamic ranges etc, just like all of you guys do, and the fact that storage is soo cheap there's no reason for me NOT to record in at least 24/44.1, but most often, 24/96 lol ;) Plus, I STILL burn everything I've recorded the last 15+ years to DVDRs ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.232 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com