Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mini-Me & V3 comp impressions  (Read 5817 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Mini-Me & V3 comp impressions
« on: April 11, 2003, 10:30:51 AM »
Thanks to Wiggler I was able to listen to his and my copy of the DTB show from Sat. night at the Magic Bag. It's not "true" a/b, but I'd say pretty close.  The mics were close than they ould have been if on the same stand and were M210's run XY DFC/FOB about 20-25' from stage. He ran the V3 I ran the Mini-me both at 16/44.1.  He runs different cables (I run X-tremes) and ran w/o windscreens (I run w/ DPA screens). These were listen on Rocket RS750's with 4 deg. toe in spaced 9' and 2' from back wall. Powered by Marantz Sr8200 and Pioneer 45a was transport.  Now w/ all that crap outta the way, on to my review...
    I put his disc in the player first and thought it was a very nice tape.   I had yet to track out my source so I just listened to this for a little while and was impressed.  I did listen to my source from the DAT a few days earlier and thought this new source smoked it as it was very detailed and clear.  I then went up and had to hear my source so I made 1 long track, but it was too late the dog went to bed and the listening would wait until the next day.  On the way home from work I popped in both discs to compare and found that after a few minutes with the V3 disc I was totally focused on the highs.  After this got to me I put in the mme disc and found the highs to not be so intense.  I discounted all of this due to the fact I was listening in my truck.
     When I got home I started with the mme disc and thought " Yeah I could handle these tapes from now on :) " and felt the bass wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.  It went low and had a nice punch to it.  The mids were very nice and I wasn't displeased with the guitar sound at all, very nice.  The highs were detailed, but my ears did not focus on them.  I then put the V3 disc in.  The highs were not as intense as they were in the truck, but did come off "brighter" than the mme tape.  I didn't think the mids were as nice as th mme, but they still weren't bad.  Now the lows were a little and I mean a little tighter, but weren't as different as many claim them to be.  Now many have said they love the highs in the V3 and I think they are great too, but I can't help but think this detail may be due to the brighter voice of the V3. Maybe the pre needs some break in.  ???
  In conclusion I would really like to own both. I like the feature set a little more on the mini-me, but the meters hands down go to the V3 as does size and layout.  With all this being said, I think if I had metal dome tweeters in my system I don't think the V3 would be a good match.  I would stick with the fabric tweets... This is all my personal opinion so take it as that please.
SC

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:Mini-Me & V3 comp impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 10:46:23 AM »
I think impressions between the 2 is very much altered by what mics you use.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 10:57:14 AM »
I agree.  Mic voicing and freq. response can alter the results.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 11:43:54 AM »
did you get the package i sent a while ago? i forget if we've already been through this, i'm a moron :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 11:44:28 AM by scott brown »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 11:54:55 AM »
Yeah I got it.. I do like the V3 with the 4022's!  

Please don't take it the wrong way people, I'm not bashing any gear here!  I would love to own both, but the wife won't let me and I need a deck.  I think in different situations both shine!
SC

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 12:27:51 PM »
no worries, I am learning my self that different mics sound better or worse with the 2 all in one box solutions. Take for instance schoeps. I used them with the mini-me, sounded good, but a little too much bottom end. With the V3 I got a much tighter bottom end which is fine becuase no matter what schoeps will give you a good bottom end, but the V3 makes the highs really shine with the schoeps, I am hearing detail and highs I have never heard before now. Then you have people that don't like the way schoeps sound with the V3, its all a matter of preception and what you like best, if you like the mini-me keep that!!!
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 03:14:21 PM »
Although I've not heard the V3 w/ the Schoeps, I'd think they would complement eachother very well.
SC

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2003, 04:00:20 PM »
To add to this, I have been listening to some of the different Phish sources floating around with various mics and V3 vs. MiniMe.  I find the V3 to be a bit flat and uninvolving; the MiniMe definitely has more presence.  Depends on what you are after, of course.  I like tapes with presence and a bit of color, hence I chose the MMe.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2003, 04:13:52 PM »
hence the reason I like the schoeps with the V3, the schoeps add the color and the V3 makes it clear and tight.
In Tyler we Trust

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com