Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MP-2, PSP-2, or SAX; decisions, decisions  (Read 15546 times)

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
MP-2, PSP-2, or SAX; decisions, decisions
« on: May 20, 2003, 10:43:22 AM »
Just ordered some new mics (Josephson C42MPs) that will be assume the position as both my stealth pair and my open taping pair.  Looking to complete the rest of my rig as dual-use as well.  

As these mics are relatively new, I have only heard one tape with them and they were paired with a MP-2.  The tape does sound sweet but it was an onstage tape so it's not clear how that combo would sound in a more reverberant enviroment.  I have never used one of these smaller pre's.  I have had a V3, V2 and PS-2 in the past.  I will be running minijack out of the pre straight in to a D100.  Any opinions on comparing the the PSP-2, MP-2 and SAX?

Thanks guys,
Chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

jpschust

Re:MP-2, PSP-2, or SAX; decisions, decisions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 10:49:08 AM »
I love the sax personally- its a favorite pre of mine.  I love how tiny it is and how well designed it is, a truly great stealthing pre.  The psp-2 is great as well :-)

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 10:54:14 AM »
 Any opinions on comparing the the PSP-2, MP-2 and SAX?

Thanks guys,
Chris

tough pick psp-2  sx-2.  Can you borrow and test drive w/ your rig?  I've used the sax once and wasn't too fond of it but may have need to get use to it.  used then psp-3 also but not the psp-2 (different animal).
go for the test drive if you can.

gfl
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 10:54:43 AM »
While I do not have a sax, my mind tells me that there may not be enough metal in the thing to set off wands...with the plastic housing and all....unlike the MP-2, which I think I could run over and it would still be fine  ;D

Jason B

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 10:57:18 AM »
Do you actually have a sax and psp2 at your disposal to purchase right now?

-JB

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 10:59:54 AM »
There is a psp-2 for sale used, that is still up for grabs; the sax would be a new purchase, there are a million mp-2s up for sale ever since Sound Devices announced their new all-in-one boxes.  
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 11:06:55 AM »
There is a psp-2 for sale used, that is still up for grabs; the sax would be a new purchase, there are a million mp-2s up for sale ever since Sound Devices announced their new all-in-one boxes.  
I would pick the mp2 as last. If you want transormer out then go w/ the psp-2.  Jonny does the sx-2 have xfmr out??? There are many sx-2 users who swear by them...likewise the psp-2.   There was a big thread on the Oade board...search the archives.
  See if the psp-2 owner will let you try it out first.
As for metal detectors...you still have the mics to contend w/.
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Jason B

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 11:14:12 AM »

I am well aware of all the MP2's going up for sale, but to have a sonosax and psp2 for sale at the same time is rare, hence my asking.

~JB

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 11:21:40 AM »
I hadn't considered borrowing the gear to try the different pre's.  I am leaning away from the sax and toward the transformer based pres (the ability to pass through a metal detector doesn't bother me, with the mics and the d100 and cables something is going to set them off, I'll just be creative in the reasons they are going off).  It is rare to find SAXs and PSP-2s used, I don't know of any used SAXs for sale, but there are several dealers with them new in stock.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 11:28:07 AM »
I would pick the mp2 as last. If you want transormer out then go w/ the psp-2.  Jonny does the sx-2 have xfmr out??? There are many sx-2 users who swear by them...likewise the psp-2.   There was a big thread on the Oade board...search the archives.
  See if the psp-2 owner will let you try it out first.
As for metal detectors...you still have the mics to contend w/.

I have already searched the oade archives and the threads I came up with were mostly PSP-2 owners (and those selling them) saying that the psp-2 had tighter bass than the MP-2 followed by MP-2 owners saying that their bass was plenty tight.  I will contact the PSP-2 owner to see about borrowing it for a test run.  Any idea what type of transformers the psp-2 uses? I haven't been able to find that info out.  David Josephson personally uses the MP-2 and suggested it as a good field pre for the mics, that's one reason it's on the list.

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it comin'

Jason B

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 11:39:54 AM »

I will contact the PSP-2 owner to see about borrowing it for a test run.  

Just a heads up...

If you are talking about Kevin Straker's psp2, it has been sold. He sold it to Carrington yesterday.

~JB
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 12:20:37 PM by Jason B »

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 11:43:34 AM »

I will contact the PSP-2 owner to see about borrowing it for a test run.  

Just a heads up...

If you are talking about Kevin Straker's psp2, it has been sold. He sold it to Carrignton yesterday.

~JB

Well,

I guess 33% of my decision has been made for me  ;D

Offline wboswell

• Needs to get out more...
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 12:19:58 PM »
Hooray for Kevin!  Its about time he was able to sell that PSP-2.  Now, he's gonna be able to feed himself ;)

Jason B

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 12:24:17 PM »
No, boo-ray!

Kevin's psp2 was coming my way after Carrington used it. I was going to run it for a couple of shows to see if I liked it with my mics enough to purchase. I never got the chance to run it! Carrington bagged it up and held onto to it for two or three weeks!!  ;) Kevin just e-mailed me yesterday saying that he would have Carrington ship it to me this week, then e-mailed me back about 10 minutes later saying that C. had just sent the money for the unit to his PayPal account... Oh well....

-JB

VA Taper: You had a couple people in front of you with dibs on that pre...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 12:25:48 PM by Jason B »

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 09:42:40 PM »
not even to mention that these three all all different sizes.  you're all over the Board here with sizes.  Sax being the smallest/ MP-2/ PSP2 following in close order.  myself, i see no way of 'stealthing' the PSP2, but i'm sure it can be done...  ;)

~S

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com