Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MiniMe Thoughts  (Read 13893 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:MiniMe Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2003, 04:06:57 PM »
>> what's wrong with the power supply. mine fits in very snuggly. I've never been the least bit concerned about it.<<

the cable that was shipped to me didn't fit correctly, yet it's apparently the correct cable.  it caused one channel to spike.  the plug also falls out sometimes

i like the sound of the v3 much better anyway, so the minime will most likely be for sale soon.  any takers? :)

I'm sur ethe dealer told you it was the correct one but did Apogee? Mine fits very snuggly and has never given me any problems. I think a lot of folks got bad cables from places like Pro Dig and then wanted to blame Apogee.

Tim

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2003, 04:09:50 PM »
i like the sound of the v3 much better anyway, so the minime will most likely be for sale soon.  any takers? :)

on that point I may be heading in your direction. I need more time with it but at this point I haven't been 100% pleased with the u89->minime combo. It's sounds really good but is a bit bottom heavy at times. I need to do more comparisons to be 100%.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2003, 04:18:48 PM »
My problem is I'm just too damn picky.  Forgetting sonic qualities for the moment (I obviously prefer the V3 as I run one), my issues with the MMe:

[1]  half-rack dimensions are a bit awkward for portable gear
[2]  unprotected knobs/switches
[3]  internal high/low gain jumpers instead of external switch
[4]  poor level meters
[5]  recessed cal pots when running low gain
[6]  non-locking XLRs
[7]  non-locking power cable
[8]  inability to output 16- and 24-bit simultaneously (I vaguely recall that this can be done, actually, via S/PDIF 16-bit and USB 24-bit)

My issues with the V3:

[1]  no soft-limit
[2]  locking power connector longer than right-angle XLRs
[3]  inability to output 16- and 24-bit simultaneously
[3]  internal high/low gain jumpers instead of external switch
[4]  internal M-S/stereo jumpers instead of external switch

That said, there's plenty to love about each unit - but it's always easier to moan about real or perceived shortcomings than to sing praises.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Tim

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2003, 05:03:48 PM »
Great post Brian! I agree with everything you said. Ultimatley it comes down to sound (for me).

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2003, 05:47:27 PM »
I'm sur ethe dealer told you it was the correct one but did Apogee? Mine fits very snuggly and has never given me any problems. I think a lot of folks got bad cables from places like Pro Dig and then wanted to blame Apogee.

Egg-sactly.  Just hack the wallwart and fashion you own DC cable by soldering on a 4-pin Neutrik.

Who uses the wallwart in the field anywhoo?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2003, 05:59:02 PM »
Mic D,

Tell us what you think?

Daryan

I've already expressed my feelings on this subject a few times (here and the oade board). The sound of the MMe is just too cloudy/hazy/tubby-ish TO MY EARs. Sort of plunger-ish if you will. Warm, but not as defined/detailed as I would like. I am very picky, though. The V3 isn't the greatest one box solution either (imo), I just like it better than the MMe. These are all MY thoughts so take them how you like  :).

Kevin

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2003, 07:26:07 PM »
To each one's ears, their own.

I think mics and placement play a big part here guys...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2003, 08:34:43 PM »
that really is the bottom line, talk all you want abou the pre and A/D, its the mics that make the biggest difference and change the sound the most.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2003, 08:40:13 PM »
that really is the bottom line, talk all you want abou the pre and A/D, its the mics that make the biggest difference and change the sound the most.

:) :) :) :) :)

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2003, 08:58:10 PM »
TI think mics and placement play a big part here guys...

True that!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2003, 10:45:33 PM »
>>I think mics and placement play a big part here guys...<<

absolutely, but some of us have run plenty of comparisons and come up with true opinions on what we like best based solely on the gear....

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2003, 11:47:35 PM »
absolutely, but some of us have run plenty of comparisons and come up with true opinions on what we like best based solely on the gear....

True that, too!

jpschust

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2003, 12:19:17 AM »
to go back to this wallwart thing- wall warts for portable gear like this are a BAD solution.  There needs to be a locking power cable of some sort.  Why have a cable that can very easily come loose with a slight jostle?  Why not just spend the extra buck and make it a locking xlr connector?  There are any number of locking solutions for this!

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2003, 01:25:06 AM »
to go back to this wallwart thing- wall warts for portable gear like this are a BAD solution.  There needs to be a locking power cable of some sort.  Why have a cable that can very easily come loose with a slight jostle?

Jonny,
I referenced the wallwart thing due to some early issues some focs had with the prodig cable causing minimes to short.  They shipped me one with my Mme when I got it and I've yet to even use it because of this.  Instead, I rigged up the original connector from the wallwart with a 4-pin Neutrik myself.  The screw in clamp on the rear, I bent well enough to hold the DC adapter *securely*(not too tight), and I've not once had any issues.

Why not just spend the extra buck and make it a locking xlr connector?  There are any number of locking solutions for this!

Are you referring to manufacturing here or modifying it onesself?  I'd be interested in what you mean here.  If you mean on Apogee's end, I agree completely.  Not to mention locking XLR's in opposed to the little snap-in type.  

I like mine a lot, but agree with damn near everything Skalinder wrote as cons to the unit

thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 01:28:32 AM by danmorgan »

jpschust

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2003, 01:30:36 AM »
im talking purely on manufacturing- the unit should have a female connector on the back so that one could do locking 4 pin to locking 4 pin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com