Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MD recommendations?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline billpann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re:MD recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2003, 10:25:44 AM »
Thanks for your help... went ahead and bought a Sharp MD-MT290 and so far am pretty enthusiastic...
only recorded one show (Bruce Cockburn w/Julie Wolf on keys) in Italy and it sounds pretty good transferred to CD, even via the analog port. The PR wasn't great to begin with, but I can't discern any significant difference between it and the same tour recorded with my Aiwa DAT and the same Core mikes  in the UK three weeks back. I agree I should find a used mains deck with optical out for transfer.

I think the reason a lot of MD stuff sounds bad is that people tend to use the sort of small Sony mikes  "recommended for MD" in stores.

Plus points: practically weightless in a rucksack and tiny, easily concealable; battery life- I recorded this show and have listened to it 4 X using a single generic AA duracell- type battery and it still shows 2/3 full!; grey plastic case but tough seeming, more so than some of the smaller, rather tinny looking metal ones; has a 4LP mode which obviously cuts quality badly but allows 320 mins! of  walkman type on the move listening on one disc

minus points - like all but the very top end MDs, this has no illumination on the panel so you need a lightsource to alter levels etc. The remote has no display at all.
-- the unit does allow level changes on the fly but when I made a couple of radical, large adjustments (which one shouldn't do anyway) it put a half-second blip in the recording where it "caught up." Small adjustments don't do this.
- couple of short bursts of interference I think from cellphones going off nearby- seems sensitive to this.

Overall though, a deal at the price, with transformer, bag, AA niMh rechargeable, optical lead, remote, thrown in, and if anything did happen to it, a lot less painful than losing a DAT.

Offline Willie T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
Re:MD recommendations?
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 01:14:32 PM »
I have been using the core sounds battery box with my MD for about 1.5 years, works great.  I have a sony MD, and it works really well (SR.73 been droped a couple times and still seems to work fine.)
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com