Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cleaning Microphones  (Read 2839 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Cleaning Microphones
« on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
I just picked up a pair of Neumann KMR82i from the yard sale.  These things have been around the block but seem to work just fine.  Well they are 15 inch shotguns and I just grabbed a inexpensive pair of windscreens but am having a hard time putting them on.  I get that these windscreens will go on a bit tight but it seems that there is some sticky residue on the microphones that is making it impossible to slip them on and I don't want to force them.  I was considering sending them out to get a tested, cleaned up, and possibly replace the missing badges  >:( but figure that will be expensive and I an not willing to invest in that currently.  So any thoughts on how to remove sticky residue from a mic without hurting it?  They are black so I don't want to mess up the finish and some of the residue is around the cap and vents so i don't want anything to drip inside and cause issues.  Any help would be great.

Also if anyone has any great suggestions on how to transport these bad boys that would be great.  Figured I would cut down a plastic shipping tube to size and store them with the screens on for protection.     
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Re: Cleaning Microphones
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »
maybe try a touch of goo gone on an area not near the caps to test? 
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »
But it's all around the cap and vent.  Honestly I don't know where the cap is.  If it's at the end, where the sticky stuff is, or if it's further back; it has like a foot long section with vents on one side.  This is my first time messing around with shotguns so I don't know what they look like inside.  I should look that up.

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
Thank you, this is what I was thinking. 

The diaphragm in a shotgun will be towards the rear of the vents on the tube--the majority of the venting is in front of the diaphragm, with a much shorter section of venting behind the backplate.  Note that for a windscreen to be effective it will have to cover the entire vented section of the tube.

I would try isopropyl alcohol on the sticky stuff.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:52:52 PM »
There are no electronics inside the long front-section of vented tube, it's hollow.  All the delicate internal stuff starts with the capsule just forward of the rear-most set of vents and includes the electronics behind it.

I'm with Jon on rubbing off the sticky stuff using a rag soaked with isopropyl alcohol.  That's worked for me removing rubber coating residue from all sorts of electronic gear which has gone all gummy.  Usually requires application using a good bit of elbow grease to fully remove it.

.. and possibly replace the missing badges  >:

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 03:03:51 PM »
I find this does a better job than isopropyl  alchohol. Apply to a rag, not the mic and it will cut through the gunk and leave no residue.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »
I find this does a better job than isopropyl  alchohol. Apply to a rag, not the mic and it will cut through the gunk and leave no residue.

And it tastes delicious when strained through  a sock......wook juice!!
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com