Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Jecklin like disc for under the mics?  (Read 1824 times)

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Jecklin like disc for under the mics?
« on: May 31, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »
has anyone ever thought or tried having a Jecklin disk like thing as a baffle underneath their mics?  to block/ diffuse crowd noise?  I'm relatively tall  and tape mostly with mics clipped to a brim of baseball cap and to me it seems like the brim  deadens the sound of shorter people around me  compared to when if I need to clip the mics lower  like to a shirt collar.   SO I'm thinking you could mount a Jecklin disk underneath the mics on a stand and achieve much the same results.  I realize this probably has  a negative effect on some polar patterns (maybe all ?)  but if you are in a chatty environment and raise the mics to the roof for some reason or another would this technique work?
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Jecklin like disc for under the mics?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 12:09:06 AM »
A Jecklin disc is meant to give separation between channels, like your head does between your ears. Using one to mute talkers will also mute that part of the sound that is occupied by the talkers. I do not stealth, but stands can be raised to get above the talkers, with the exception of omni mics, although would help to an extent. There is very little you can do about people in front of you, but the only problems I have from behind are things like bottles breaking in a bin, for example, with cards and I rarely run over 7' - 8'.   
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:31:56 AM »
Kimber IsoMike:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:35:17 AM by m0k3 »

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:38:46 AM »
I record from stage lip a lot, where sometimes mic placement can be tricky because of stage monitors, and have often wished I had some method to block or minimize the sound from the monitor(s.)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »
It will work, somewhat, the same way it works between the two omni in a Jecklin setup and makes them directional at higher frequencies.  It will only reduce the level of higher frequency direct sound picked up from sources which are obscured from a direct line of sight to the mics.  It will not block the lower frequencies, or the reflected or reverberant components of those sources. The primary practical problems are that it's unwieldy and unfriendly to sight-lines. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com