Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Focus and image stabilization  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
Focus and image stabilization
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »
I recently recorded a show w/ a Canon Vixia HF20 that was mounted on an ultrapod and strapped to a railing.  It was really bass heavy and the image stabilization was on.  Hence the video kind of goes in and out of focus.  Very annoying.  If I turn off the image stabilization will I still have these problems?

In this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=161854.0  someone says they put memory foam under the tripod legs.  Is something like that really necessary?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Focus and image stabilization
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
I read the link to the other thread and think they've given some good thought to this situation.

Image stabilization is really there to be used when the camera is going to be handheld.  If you have it clamped to a rail or tripod, I don't think you need it turned on.  In fact, B & H Photo says there are instances when it should be off.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/tips-solutions/image-stabilization-when-use-it-and-when-turn-it

If the rail is vibrating and that is coming through on your video, then you need to find another setup.  Haven't tried it, but I understand sorbethane is the product to look for as a cushion if you want to go that route.  It's sort of pricey, but you probably don't need much. 

I wonder if you could use a longer screw on a tripod  and then stick a layer of sorbethane between the tripod head and the camera to cushion out vibrations instead of trying to put foam under the tripod legs?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:55:32 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 01:24:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I don't really intend to be recording in this venue again any time soon, but in case I want to affix the camera elsewhere w/ the ultrapod, it's good to know.

I had some problems w/ my last video too (on a tripod), but I think it was because I left auto-focus on and it went a little crazy w/ the lighting, but I'll double check to make sure it isn't happening when the bass is heavy.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »
The auto focus on camcorders can hunt for focus when the lighting changes.  I think there is  a camera setting to take care of that, too.  Auto focus shouldn't change because of vibrations from the bass. 

Offline bombdiggity

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 01:06:09 AM »
Auto focus on many cameras hunts with any movement in the subjects.  That can get very distracting.  My old Sonys were pretty bad about that.  The newer Canon I have seems to be slow to react, so would be much better but I still don't use the autofocus. 

If the camera is fixed then the distance to the subject/s on a stage will not be changing nearly enough to need to change the focus.   
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »
Right.  I turned the auto focus off for this recent show.  So next time I'll try it w/ AF off and Image Stabilization off as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com