Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new to setting up home theater  (Read 10563 times)

Offline roskile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
new to setting up home theater
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »
i've about given myself an aneurysm trying to get my home theater setup setup. here is what i have..

tv with hdmi input, coaxial output;
dvd with hdmi output; coaxial and toslink output;
receiver with two hdmi inputs and one hdmi output; coaxial input and two toslink inputs

it was my understanding that any analog cables (component, s-video) would not be needed if i were to use the hdmi connection. of course, after trying that i am not sure if i have everything i need. can anyone offer any insight here because it would be greatly appreciated and needed.

what i tried to run as my configuration was per the directions in my receiver's manual. i ran the dvd hdmi out to the receiver's hdmi input labeled for dvd. i then ran the hdmi output from the receiver to my tv. i then tried connecting toslink from dvd to receiver, and eventually tried coaxial from dvd to receiver.

here where my problem comes in... i cannot seem to get any actual proper connection through the receiver. if i run hdmi from the dvd player directly to the tv i am able to play the dvd. the hdmi light turns displays on the dvd player to show connection. but if i run the configuration using the receiver my tv will display that is has no signal, and the dvd player will not have the hdmi light turned on.

the instructions on the receiver state that i may have to assign the hdmi and digital audio inputs/outputs..but i can't even do that as i cannot seem to get a connection from the receiver to the tv. i am so lost.

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
Re: new to setting up home theater
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
Which model is your receiver?

You should be able to run DVD > HDMI > Receiver > HDMI > TV with no problem.  Most modern receivers use HDMI for audio and data, so there's no need for the optical or coax cables.

There may be some bit that needs flipped to enable HDMI output on the Receiver.  Without knowing the make/model, we can't look up the manual and, without that, we won't be very useful.  :)
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »
hi evilchris, the receiver is a Pioneer VSX-818V-K

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:55:11 PM »
I can't seem to find anything about this receiver on AVS, except for a post saying that it does no HD audio decoding.  Not sure if that's accurate or not.  But you may want to post your issue there, as someone may have run into it before:  www.avsforum.com
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 03:59:42 PM »
personally, i would just run hdmi from the source>tv for video and skip the reciever. use the digital outputs from your sources for sound to the pioneer.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »
personally, i would just run hdmi from the source>tv for video and skip the reciever. use the digital outputs from your sources for sound to the pioneer.

I wouldn't - the whole point of having the HDMI receiver is simplifying the connections between devices (and enabling higher resolution digital formats that can't be transmitted over optical/coax).  Plus, since he only has one input on the TV, if he ever adds another HDMI device he'll have to use either the receiver or a switch.  Better to get it figured out now.

What *I* would do is return the receiver (if possible) and pick up a Yamaha 663.  ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »
thanks for that link John Kelly, i'll give them a try. unfortunately due to budget constraints i'm stuck with what i have for now. the good news is i'll figure something out. i have to lol.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 10:28:14 AM »
In the manual it should have something about passing HDMI audio.  You will want that on if you are using the tv speakers.  You might have to also enable HDMI audio on the DVD player as well, but that has always been the default in my case.

SC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com