Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RCA Connector preference?  (Read 10418 times)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
Re: RCA Connector preference?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 08:13:03 AM »
fwiw..
I use swtichcraft RCAs for just about everything.  I use a different neutrik that I like as well, for straight (no rightangles offered).

but for hi-fi needs, im an eichman fan.
yea the eichmans are nice I might go that route if I end up buying straight plugs.
It seems if I want to be "proper" the RA's are ruled out.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
fwiw..
I use swtichcraft RCAs for just about everything.  I use a different neutrik that I like as well, for straight (no rightangles offered).

yea the eichmans are nice I might go that route if I end up buying straight plugs.

I use Canare rcap-c3a's along with canare 75ohm coax (i forget the P/N off the top of my head) and boots for my digi cables and Eichmann Bullets on my hifi interconnects (currently bettercables.com sliverserpent IIs)... I woulnd't really recommend the eichmann's for a lot of plugging/unplugging i could see them getting a little fragile.  The Canares are great in that regard, a nice solid connector.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 06:37:24 PM »
fwiw..

I use Canare rcap-c3a's along with canare 75ohm coax (i forget the P/N off the top of my head) and boots for my digi cables and Eichmann Bullets on my hifi interconnects (currently bettercables.com sliverserpent IIs)... I woulnd't really recommend the eichmann's for a lot of plugging/unplugging i could see them getting a little fragile.  The Canares are great in that regard, a nice solid connector.
cool thank you very much for that insight. Something I didn't consider really.
the canares are cheaper too ;)
Do you absolutely need the canare crimper for those RCA's or can you work around it with some other off the shelf tool?
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 08:15:16 PM »
fwiw...I used my boulder M80s w/eichman plugs for about 2 years in the field w/various recorders.  never a problem.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 01:57:44 PM »
fwiw..

cool thank you very much for that insight. Something I didn't consider really.
the canares are cheaper too ;)
Do you absolutely need the canare crimper for those RCA's or can you work around it with some other off the shelf tool?

I bought the canare die and used it with a generic crimper frame... it's set at a weird angle so didn't crimp just right... I would up making some extra cables at some point and broke down to buy the crimper frame.  The canare branded tool makes some nice crimps, thats all I know.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 02:40:55 PM »
good info thank you.
My friend thinks I should just buy the tool and attempt to sell some cables on the side as well as be set for the rest of my lifetime with my own cables...
*shrugs* undecided still
Thanks to everyone responding on this, I'm kind of surprised this has not generated more feedback.
I was kind of hoping to get some info back on test results of peoples home made cables.
Plus Chuck really has my interest peaked on his comment that source box's seldom put out a true 75 ohm to begin with.
I'm going to try and get with my friend sometime in the future and do a test off the V3 to check if it outputs a true 75 ohm signal from it's connector and than test a store bought cable and see if it is putting out a true 75 ohm signal from the v3 (or whatever the v3 reports)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 04:13:15 PM »
good info thank you.
My friend thinks I should just buy the tool and attempt to sell some cables on the side as well as be set for the rest of my lifetime with my own cables...
*shrugs* undecided still
Thanks to everyone responding on this, I'm kind of surprised this has not generated more feedback.
I was kind of hoping to get some info back on test results of peoples home made cables.
Plus Chuck really has my interest peaked on his comment that source box's seldom put out a true 75 ohm to begin with.
I'm going to try and get with my friend sometime in the future and do a test off the V3 to check if it outputs a true 75 ohm signal from it's connector and than test a store bought cable and see if it is putting out a true 75 ohm signal from the v3 (or whatever the v3 reports)

What I was getting at is...
Copper traces on a PC board don't have the *proper* impedance characteristics that a cable or connector does.
It's all very nice, in theory, but RCA connectors were never meant to be used as 75 ohm connectors. After you realize that, you do what you can, with what you have, and it all turns out fine anyway. I use 75 ohm wire, and any connector that fits what I need to connect it too.

A good example...
The Oade 7 Pin adaptor for the D-8. There is no 75 ohm connector or 75 ohm wire in that thing. But, it passes digital signal just fine.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
good info thank you.
*shrugs* undecided still

What I was getting at is...
Copper traces on a PC board don't have the *proper* impedance characteristics that a cable or connector does.
It's all very nice, in theory, but RCA connectors were never meant to be used as 75 ohm connectors. After you realize that, you do what you can, with what you have, and it all turns out fine anyway. I use 75 ohm wire, and any connector that fits what I need to connect it too.

A good example...
The Oade 7 Pin adaptor for the D-8. There is no 75 ohm connector or 75 ohm wire in that thing. But, it passes digital signal just fine.
I follow you now precisely. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm trying to learn heh

Offline RedDawg

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 04:57:13 PM »
Regarding using RCA's for SB patches.  How many ft is to long.  I've heard that longer they are the greater risk of getting a buzzing sound???  Is there truth to this.

Some venues I go to I'd like to be 20 ft or so in front of the board.  If I only can hit RCA's on the board...what are my options??  I've been told to use XLRs with RCA connects. 

Advice  please.
AKG 480 (61,62,& 63) > Dogstars > ACM R-4

Once in awhile you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
Regarding using RCA's for SB patches.  How many ft is to long.  I've heard that longer they are the greater risk of getting a buzzing sound???  Is there truth to this.

Some venues I go to I'd like to be 20 ft or so in front of the board.  If I only can hit RCA's on the board...what are my options??  I've been told to use XLRs with RCA connects. 

Advice  please.
I'm thinking that buzz would be due to RF interference possibly and not due to RCA connectors, but maybe both?  I think you would be ok with RCA's on that long of a stretch but I would go with a good quality cable.
Starquad comes to mind right off and this other stuff musilux I just read about looks to have good shielding as well for a cheap quality cable.
Hopefully someone with more SBD experience than me can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 12:06:44 AM »
Just a note:

The M-Audio Microtrack 2496's RCA jacks (L/R and Spdif) are recessed flush and have very little room around them for the shield connection of an RCA plug. The only decent RCA plug I know of that fits it nicely is Neutrik's NYS series:

They're not super nice plugs, but not at all bad. Markertek and Parts Express carry them.

Peace,
Sanaka

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com