Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD20 to D8 connection  (Read 2967 times)

Offline CTDave

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection All-Star
AD20 to D8 connection
« on: November 23, 2005, 09:53:37 AM »
Hey There,
I have tried to avoid asking here, but I can't figure this out. I have an AD20, and have only run the optical out to my JB3, which runs fine. I tried the other day to run my D8 out of the coax spdf? output with a stereo 1/8 mini plug, but only got static, no signal. Same cable passed a perfect signal from the JB3 to the D8. My question is, do I need a special cable to run coax out to the D8, or does it sound as if the coax output is broken?. Is this where the Oade cables are used? I see these different pin Oade cables for sale here all the time which I know nothing about the application use of.

Peace, Dave
AKG C480b ck61/ck63 > Bumblebee Miagi-II cables > Grace Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-4

AT853RX > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > JB3

Offline JasonSobel

• Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: AD20 to D8 connection
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 10:28:07 AM »
the 1/8th inch output on the AD-20 is a digital output.  the 1/8th inch input on the D8 is an analog input.  For digital input into the D8, you need a 7-pin cable.  there are many kinds of 7-pin cables.  the most common are RCA (coax) > 7-pin.  if you have one of these, then you'll need to pick up an 1/8th inch > RCA adaptor.  use that on the AD-20, and then use a regular S/PDIF cable (with RCA connectors), to connecto the 7-pin cable.

Alternatively, I know they made optical > 7pin cables.  you could use that and run out of the optical output from the AD-20.

please let us know if this answers your questions, or if you need further clarification...

- Jason

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 10:52:22 AM »
Hey There,
I have tried to avoid asking here, but I can't figure this out. I have an AD20, and have only run the optical out to my JB3, which runs fine. I tried the other day to run my D8 out of the coax spdf? output with a stereo 1/8 mini plug, but only got static, no signal. Same cable passed a perfect signal from the JB3 to the D8. My question is, do I need a special cable to run coax out to the D8, or does it sound as if the coax output is broken?. Is this where the Oade cables are used? I see these different pin Oade cables for sale here all the time which I know nothing about the application use of.

Peace, Dave

I have a 1/8" > 7 pin cable that I've had lying around for a long time.  I got it when I was running AD20 > D7.  Let me know if you want it.  I paid ~$100 for it 2 years ago, so as I see it, it's worth a very small fraction of that.

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline tilomagnet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 11:51:43 AM »

I have a 1/8" > 7 pin cable that I've had lying around for a long time.  I got it when I was running AD20 > D7.  Let me know if you want it.  I paid ~$100 for it 2 years ago, so as I see it, it's worth a very small fraction of that.

--hoyt

I'd be interested in that cable in case he doesn't want it.

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 12:08:31 PM »
Hey There,

Peace, Dave

PM sent

--hoyt

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 12:12:14 PM »
the 1/8th inch output on the AD-20 is a digital output.  the 1/8th inch input on the D8 is an analog input.  For digital input into the D8, you need a 7-pin cable.  there are many kinds of 7-pin cables.  the most common are RCA (coax) > 7-pin.  if you have one of these, then you'll need to pick up an 1/8th inch > RCA adaptor.  use that on the AD-20, and then use a regular S/PDIF cable (with RCA connectors), to connecto the 7-pin cable.

Alternatively, I know they made optical > 7pin cables.  you could use that and run out of the optical output from the AD-20.

please let us know if this answers your questions, or if you need further clarification...

- Jason

Thanks Jason,

That clears everything up for me. Hoyt has one to go, and I've PM'd him about it, and I see in the yard sale there are both optical and digital 7 pins for sale.

Happy Turkey Day, Dave

Offline nickee

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 06:15:15 AM »
I have a D8 and a Zefiro inbox. The D8 expects a voltage around 4V and I guess the voltage out from the inbox/AD20 is your standard 0.5V so unless you use the optical>7-pin or a active 7-pin cable it wont work. I have to use a CO2 in between to get a signal.

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 01:04:13 PM »
If you have one of these connectors on your ad20 (3pin / mine xlr I beleive), let me know. I have a 7pin cable for this.

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 04:35:57 PM »
I had to have an active 7 pin to get the ad-20 to send a signal to my sony deck (d3 &d100)
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline CTDave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 08:44:53 PM »
If you have one of these connectors on your ad20 (3pin / mine xlr I beleive), let me know. I have a 7pin cable for this.

Actually, mine does not have that. I did however, pick up the 7 pin from Hoyt, who first responded to me. Thanks for everyones help.

Peace,
Dave

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com