Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does anyone still refurb/work on DVD battery's??  (Read 11530 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Does anyone still refurb/work on DVD battery's??
« on: April 03, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
I have one of these that takes and holds a charge but no longer outputs power.  so assuming something is wrong with the output connection.

https://www.amazon.com/Initial-RB-270-Lithium-Ion-Universal-Rechargeable/dp/B0002J9QXG

If anyone can use this just pay shipping and it's yours.    Battery only no charging cable as I need it for the 1 remaining battery I have.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Does anyone still refurb/work on DVD battery's??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:22:10 PM »
i was surprised and delighted when i busted out the V3>AD2K rig for first time in a decade that the old tekkeons i had were fine. didnt do detailed runtime tests on either, but with one battery each on the V3 and AD2K I ran a 2.5 hour set and were still about half charge afterwards
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 01:11:36 PM »
Isn't there someplace that refers these?
I seem to remember a thread about this but I can't find it now.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »
Most folks have now moved on.  The cells could be replaced, but the ultimate death of my DVD batteries was the loss of function of the built-in power meter, after which I no longer dared rely on them. 

Take a look at TalentCell an inexpensive and more or less a direct replacement with similar functionality and increased capacity for the same size.  Primary difference is TalentCell has an on/off rocker switch, where DVD batts were "always on".  Various capacities are available, all of which exceed old DVD batt capacity.  I think the smaller ones around the size of old DVD batts may only provide 12VDC and 5V USB out, but if you need 9V, the larger ones have both 9V and 12V ports that can be used simultaneously.

I made the switch a few years ago and have not looked back since.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 06:26:58 PM »
Did you find anything smaller or lighter than the DVD batteries?
Looks like I'll need to replace 4 of them and that's 4 lbs I'd like to lose!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:02:32 PM »
I bought the bigger size TalentCell (about the size of two DVD batteries) and it can run my rig for an entire weekend fest, which used to require about two DVD batteries per day.  But I bought a second as backup so I typically alternate them day to day.  The smaller ones are about the same size as one DVD battery and I bet two of those will do you in place of 4 older DVDs quite easily.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 11:51:39 AM »
I bought the bigger size TalentCell (about the size of two DVD batteries) and it can run my rig for an entire weekend fest, which used to require about two DVD batteries per day.  But I bought a second as backup so I typically alternate them day to day.  The smaller ones are about the same size as one DVD battery and I bet two of those will do you in place of 4 older DVDs quite easily.

Completely agree with Gutbucket on this one.  The TalentCell batteries aren't that much bigger or heavier but last a LOOOOOOONG time.  Everybody I know up my way who's still in the game made the jump to these at the start of the summer and none of us have looked back.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:45:27 PM »
Are these still the battery of choice ?

Steve
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »
I prefer new TallentCells these days, but Ted currently has a load of DVD batteries for sale in the yard for an attractive price if you want to stick with them- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=193615.msg2323586#msg2323586

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:28:15 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 08:45:41 AM »
I'm a big fan of using 18650 enclosures. This has the added benefit of stretching the life of any cells you might have (when my 9v DVD batteries' meters stop working, I crack them open and harvest the cells (OG rating = 2000mah, usual rating after 10 years of decent use = 1500-1800mah).

One of the enclosures I use takes 6 cells and it can be set for 3.6/5/6/9/12/15/16/19/21 volts:
Ebay link
Ali Express link (cheaper but requires login)

Another enclosure I use takes 8 cells, has a higher amperage rating, a nicer display, and can be set continuously from 4 - 20 volts (states 24 volts but that was an older model that no longer ships):
Ebay link
Ali Express link (cheaper but requires login)

The first enclosures run my audio and video gear no problem and hold the same number of cells as the 9v DVDs. The second enclosure can run all that and my Macbook Pro. After using the sealed enclosures for over 10 years, I'm happy to have something where the cells can easily be swapped when they are dead or have reached their EOL.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:34:27 AM by taper420 »

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ links require login. Great idea though
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:24:33 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
Added some ebay links for the same product, but they're a bit more than Ali. I would certainly shop around... The 6 cell one I see for around $13-15 and the 8 cell for around $30-40 (shipped, always from China).

Edit: One thing to note about the 6-cell enclosure... for some reason some sets of cells (not all for some reason) slightly overcharge in it to around 4.26v instead of 4.2v (the cells are arranged 2p3s so charge ends at 12.8 instead of 12.6). For that reason I rarely charge the cells in the enclosure, using a dedicated 18650 charger most of the time.

Also, it's technically possible to hotswap the cells in either of these units while the unit is running (although I'm not sure I'd have the balls to do so, and wouldn't need to since I always have a redundancy). The cells are grouped into pairs of parallel groups and you can remove and replace a cell from each of these pairs while still running the unit. In fact, both units can continuously operate with half the number of cells, if arranged properly.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:27:10 AM by taper420 »

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 10:09:32 AM »
I attached some photos for size comparison...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »
^ Cool option! Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com