Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for a small stealth deck (like pcm-10) but with balnce controls  (Read 11900 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Suggestions for a small stealth deck (like pcm-10) but with balnce controls
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
AFAIK, the R-05 has a hidden menu that provides balance control, just like the R-09 did.  Check the TS thread on accessing it's hidden Easter-egg menu.  IMO doing so would only be useful if you are always using the same mics with an channel imbalance and wanted to avoid having to re-balance for that every time in post.

Even then, doing it in post would likely be more precise, unless the R-05 can adjust balance in 0.1 dB increments, which I doubt.

If I had this problem, I'd measure the exact difference in output between the two mics, then make a project template file in my DAW that has the one channel adjusted by that amount to compensate.
Roland r-05 sounds interesting. Any experience with the balance control menus? Don't want to be fumbling a lot in stealth mode.
Thanks

TS thread link - Roland R-05 has secret easter egg menu for more settings too! http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136806.0

R-09 provided balance control in it's secret menu.  I assume R-05 does too.   I don't think it is something you can or would want to try an adjust while recording.  Rather, it's a measure-and-adjust-beforehand, kind of thing to generally equal out levels as a good starting point. 

As stated previously, I'd only bother with that if it the mic sensitivity was significantly off-balance, but I readjust the balance-level of all my recordings by ear as need anyway even if the level difference between channels is spot on.  There are other factors a balance tweak can adjust for, and in the end a correct subjective psychoacoustic balance is more important than a numeric level balance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »
In a live setting, there may not be a way to make subtle balance adjustments because you're not likely to have the same signal level passing equally passing through both sides of a PA except for that one mythical magical seat rumored to exist somewhere in the venue and then only so briefly that how could you ever set your balance with it?     

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 10:15:26 PM »
In a live setting, there may not be a way to make subtle balance adjustments because you're not likely to have the same signal level passing equally passing through both sides of a PA except for that one mythical magical seat rumored to exist somewhere in the venue and then only so briefly that how could you ever set your balance with it?   
[/quote)

Yep.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »
TS thread link - Roland R-05 has secret easter egg menu for more settings too! http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136806.0

R-09 provided balance control in it's secret menu.  I assume R-05 does too.   I don't think it is something you can or would want to try an adjust while recording.  Rather, it's a measure-and-adjust-beforehand, kind of thing to generally equal out levels as a good starting point. 
I just tried this with my R-05 (firmware version 1.03) and didn't find any balance option in the "secret" menu.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com