Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What on earth happened here?  (Read 9462 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: What on earth happened here?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »
And, you need to unplug the mics from the bb when not in use to save the battery. I replace my 9v about every 20 shows, just in case.

I replace mine basically every show because I’m super paranoid. 100% unnecessary

probably someplace in between the 2 of us is the the right time. I did, fairly recently tape a show with a used up 9v, UNLISTENABLE,  and it wasn't even a super loud show.

I check my 9V's before use and once they get into the low 8V range I add them to my pile.  I figure I can put them in a pillowcase and go to a MAGA rally and put them to use at some point on the heads of the "good people" on the other side.   ;D

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »
^ good plan :lol:

Hey, have you ever tried rechargeable 9v’s? I’ve seen them around before and have thought about using them...also, what tester do you use? I like to get the most out of a battery before tossing it (recycle, that is)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 04:20:56 PM »
Yes, but I trust minty new Duracell Pro-Cells purchased in bulk.  I have an Equus Battery Load Tester That I have used for years.

Offline melontracks

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »
I hope your neighbors don’t mind you blasting 110db at home  :lol:

From the horse’s mouth:

Wow. Well there's the official word. This forum is just a fantastic resource. I don't think I could produce quite those decibels anyway, so it's good that it looks little there probably is no reason to.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:46:30 PM by melontracks »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »
And, you need to unplug the mics from the bb when not in use to save the battery. I replace my 9v about every 20 shows, just in case.

I replace mine basically every show because I’m super paranoid. 100% unnecessary

Same here! I have a drawer full of gently used 9Vs

Me three, but I switched to rechargeables.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

ilduclo

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »
9v rechargeable brand recco’s, plz. I hate recycling batteries when I can charge them instead.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 02:19:27 PM »
My Imedeon has been going strong for about 5 years.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 05:53:44 PM »
Maha Immedion NiMH last about 5 years for me (preamp use, recharged each time prior) and I'm currently on my 3rd set.  You want the LSD (low self discharge) version which has about the same self-discharge-over-time curve as alkalines, especially if you are not charging immediately before use.  I suspect LSD type may be the only ones available from Maha now (the Maha LSD has a black case, the old non-LSD had a white case). 

Be aware that no rechargeable NIMH 9V's are 9V nominal.  Most are less than 9V, and something like 7-8V nominal.  Maha makes a 9.6V and a 8.something volt.  The 9.6V can measure up to 11V without a load after a fresh charge.  Although the resistors in the battery box probably reduce the voltage of the 9.6V to safe levels, the lower-voltage version should be fine for battery box powering your DPA 4061s.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

ilduclo

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 06:50:56 PM »
thanks, good info all around, +T

Offline melontracks

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »
I have the opportunity here in a couple of months to tape a band billed as "the loudest band on the planet." https://www.laweekly.com/are-drone-metal-icons-sunn-o-the-loudest-band-on-the-planet/. Seems a good opportunity to dust off my battery box and see if the CA-11s can handle it. I may also try to get permission to record...the venue is small (150 cap.) so it could be a pretty cool opportunity. Does anyone know what the max SPL rating is on the CA-11s? Is there a max? I couldn't find anything on Chris's website, though he does say "Distortion: less than 0.6% THD @ 114db @ 1khz" Also, if i get permission to tape, I'd probably use my AT4041s, which are rated max "145 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D."

Even the "loudest band on the planet" seems unlikely to exceed 145 SPL...? But what happens if they do? Will the capsules be physically damaged? I'm more interested in recording string quartets and folk/americana acts with these mics that drone metal...is there a possibility the dB levels at a super-loud show can damage mics even if they don't exceed the max SPL?

Thanks for you patience with my noob questions.

ilduclo

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 10:51:00 AM »
there's been a lot of good Sunnooo(()) recordings done, so definitely possible. I myself would use this set up, that is, if they ever came to Tiny Town

dpa 4061's >9v battery box WITH NEW BATTERY > m10 or d50 LINE IN

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »
High SPL won't damage the mics or other recording gear. 

Consider the measured distortion figures as a guideline, and little more than that.  All reference a 1kHz testing frequency.  Generally, distortion will increase to higher levels at lower frequencies, and SPL of most amplified concerts such as this will be highest at low frequencies.  Also, SPL decreases dramatically with distance from the source, so SPL will be orders of magnitude higher 1' in front of the PA speaker than out in the room.  Also, even if the microphones are not significantly overloaded, following portions of the signal chain can be overload.  For all these reasons, its difficult to make a recommendation other than to use the ATs if you can, especially if the CA-14 are omnis (making them more sensitive to low frequencies which are likely to represent the highest SPL).

I hope they make disposable earplugs available to anyone who wants them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 04:54:12 PM »
They're not going to exceed 145db. I think 150 is considered enough to rupture your eardrum
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 04:56:03 PM by opsopcopolis »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2019, 07:35:37 PM »
Even the "loudest band on the planet" seems unlikely to exceed 145 SPL...? But what happens if they do?

OSHA would probably give the owner of the venue a stern talking-to.  Meanwhile the employees are getting their lawyers lined up.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2019, 07:51:20 PM »
Remember, it depends greatly on where the measurement is made.  145dB in the throat of the compression drivers of the PA isn't out of the question at all.. but at the soundboard? No way.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com