Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT Users, Please step inside  (Read 11199 times)

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
MT Users, Please step inside
« on: February 07, 2006, 10:30:32 AM »
So I know there is a list of CF cards that MAudio suggests, but what is everyone actually using?

I was looking around town last night (for something 2gb or bigger) and I couldn't find any that were on the MAudio list, but there were a lot of options that weren't on the list.

Lots of SanDisk, Hitachi (microdrives) and Sony.

Ultimately I would like to compile a list of cards known to work, just for future reference.

So Far - It seems that some ofl the microdrives have problem registering time, but I'm still listing them here because for all other purposes they "work"
-----====||====-----
Hitachi 6gb microdrive
Kingston Elite Pro 45x
Lexar professional 80x
Sandisk Ultra II 4GB CF
Sandisk 1GB CF
Kingston Elite Pro 50x 2GB
4gb hitachi microdrive
6gb apple branded hitachi
lexar 2gb 80x
Seagate 5gb Microdrive
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 05:25:15 PM by BWolf »
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
Re: MT Users, Please step inside
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 10:45:41 AM »
I use the Hitachi 6gb microdrive.

The downside to this card is it eats the battery faster, so a battery pack of some sort is almost always needed.  The other downside is, it doesn't register time right.  I have to leave dummy files on it to get the available space below 4gb's before it'll show the proper remaining time on the card when I'm recording.  A bit of a pain in the ass.

I'd say the card is reliable tho, the mt on the other hand....I'm starting to notice more things about my problem the other night at moe tho.  When I was recording and not getting any levels, its because the mt switched back to the factory defaults.  I didn't notice that till Saturday night tho.  Looking at the MT again yesterday, it should have been obvious this happened, because the filenames started over from 34 back to 001.  I guess thats a sign.

Why the recording stopped half way thru the second set tho, I'm not for sure.  I'm pretty sure it safe to say that its not the card though since it was just over half full.

But yeah, the 6gb hitachi works nice and is cheap.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »
I use both Kingston Elite Pro 45x and Lexar professional 80x with no problem except my own stupidity ;D
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 11:47:20 AM »
Kingston Elite Pro 45x.  Had a couple minor problems - not CF card related - with earlier firmware.  No problems since I've <a> sorted out the unit's quirks with testing at home (things like don't power up unless there's a S/PDIF signal present), and <b> updated the firmware (except for no 96k, which I don't really care about).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:01:51 PM »
I've been using a Sandisk Ultra II 4GB CF card, with no card-related issues.  I have, as just about everyone else, run into a few minor quirks and bugs with the unit, but none related to the CF card.

I've also been using a standard Sandisk 1GB CF card to record opening acts, but for those, I've only recorded at 16 bit, 48kHz.  I haven't tried any 24bit recording on the standard Sandisk.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:13:05 PM »
Kingston Elite Pro 45x
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

cmoorevt

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »
Kingston Elite Pro 45x, 2GB verion.  No CF related problems.

Offline Chris K

• Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »
6gb hitachi microdrive (i have two). no problems. not even the remainign time issue others have. but i have only run analog in... havent run spdif in (yet).

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline ajprog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 01:24:43 PM »
Using Kingston Elite Pro 50x 2GB. No problems at all here.

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
So Far
---------------------------
Hitachi 6gb microdrive
Kingston Elite Pro 45x
Lexar professional 80x
Sandisk Ultra II 4GB CF
Sandisk 1GB CF
Kingston Elite Pro 50x 2GB

Most of these seem like they are on the list (except for the Sandisk Ultra II).  Anyone use anything thats not on M-Audios list?  Thanks for the input.  +t
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)

Offline e.heman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 02:54:18 PM »
I use a lexar 2gb 80x. Had no problem ins the use until now. But the first time I took a session of about 1h 20' . I tried to play it back on the MT but it stopped after 9'53'' When I had split the file with Audacity I could hear everything back without a problem. I think the first file of 1.2 Gb was to big for the MT to handle.
Last sunday i recorded with a short stop by pushing the recording twice (it costs only 5 sec to restart) I feel o lot safer now.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »
My MT stops all the time on playback, I don't think thats a problem with the card.  I think its just another with the MT itself.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »
4gb hitachi microdrive - no problems
6gb apple branded hitachi - had diginoises with very first recording 24/96 via 1/4" input
                               - now won't register time properly

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 03:36:04 PM »
I use a 2GB 80X Lexar compact flash card. I think the faster the card the less problem you will have. Lexar made a new card: 133X
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 03:36:26 PM »
My MT stops all the time on playback, I don't think thats a problem with the card.  I think its just another with the MT itself.

I noticed that about mine also when I was playing back a Moe. set. Timer was still rolling and showing levels on the screen but no output from the headphone out.

FWIW: I am using a Sandisk Ultra II.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 04:50:49 PM »
I use a Seagate 5gb Microdrive. I have never had a problem. I do think the Microdrives eat power more quickly, but otherwise it is hard to notice any difference. Time and time remaining work fine too.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 07:05:25 PM »
Transcend 120x 4GB CF...love it! $225 shipped:

http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=764

Bought it after having problems with a 6GB Hitachi Microdrive and a Ridata 4GB 80x CF (which might have been a bad card).

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 09:22:27 PM »
45x 2 GB Kingston Elite = No problems at all

4GB Hitachi Microdrive = Again,  no problems at all

6GB Hitachi Microdrive = Similar problems as already listed. Have to add dummy files to get the MT to register the correct time remaining, etc.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BWolf

• Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 09:29:41 PM »
I just picked up a 60x SanDisk Ultra II 2GB and tested it out.  Haven't seen any problems yet.  Looks like it working.

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 11:43:49 AM »
A PNY Technologies 1GB slow card can be added to the list.  No speed rating, cheap @ approx. $50.  No problems, except that the card should not be filled to capacity, as that will cause the WAV file to become unusable.  I usually leave about a minute to be safe.

There's a TMP directory created when the MT formats media.  I wouldn't be surprised if the PortalPlayer Aeronix OS keeps some buffers on the card, so that when the card gets filled, the buffers run out of space and a corrupted WAV file results.  Just guessing at this point, will have to do more research...

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

Bought it after having problems with a 6GB Hitachi Microdrive and a Ridata 4GB 80x CF (which might have been a bad card).

Craig

Ok, I'm confused about the large price differences on this site between say, a 4GB Transcend 120X for $225, and a slower 4gb card like 4GB Lexar Media 80X for $441!  Or in the 8GB category, we see 8GB Transcend 120X for $439, but then 8GB Lexar Media 40X Pro Digital Camera Compact Flash Memory
for an incredible $870!  So, double the price for half the speed? Why is one manufacturer so much cheaper, not to mention faster, if the technology is basically the same from everybody?  That 8GB 120X card is awefully tempting, given it's only a little more money than the most expensive 4GB stuff. 

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »
Lexar Professional 80x 2GB, works great.

Sandisk 133x ExtremeIII 4GB, works great,  down to -13deg (haven't been that cold yet, would think maybe the MT would be the shortcoming before it gets that cold, but I have used it near freezing temperatures with no problems at all)

-dvn
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 07:47:20 PM »
45x 2 GB Kingston Elite = No problems at all

4GB Hitachi Microdrive = Again,  no problems at all

6GB Hitachi Microdrive = Similar problems as already listed. Have to add dummy files to get the MT to register the correct time remaining, etc.

Can you link me to a tut on how to create these dummy files? I missed this one somehow.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 12:35:02 AM »
just put a wav file on the card that is over 2gb's and you're set.

I usually throw a few of my last recordings on there or just don't delete them off the card when i'm done.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 02:28:59 AM »
kingston 4g 45x y0! only problems are user error. Ive ran spdif in 16/44.1
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
Sandisk 4GB CF @24/48, no problems at all. This is NOT the Ultra II card.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 06:10:23 AM »
The new firmware seems to allow slower CF cards to format without previous troubles.  However, even if formated correctly, some of these slower cards will NOT work reliably at >48K sample rates. 

Suggest when stating a CF card as working OK to include what sample rate was tried.

Here is a review in progress: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 02:24:39 PM »

I usually throw a few of my last recordings on there or just don't delete them off the card when i'm done.

So, in effect, I'm using a 4GB microdrive? Is this only to fix the "time remaining" bug or does it actually allow you to use the fulle space where you wouldn't be able to otherwise?

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 12:47:40 PM »

So, in effect, I'm using a 4GB microdrive? Is this only to fix the "time remaining" bug or does it actually allow you to use the fulle space where you wouldn't be able to otherwise?

The problem with the MicroTrack is that when the free space on any media is over approx 4GB it get's confused about how much free space there really is. What you need to do is put on enough files or audio tracks to lower the free space to under 4gb to initially avoid the bug. Then do some actual audio recording. As you fill up the media with these new tracks you can then delete the filler tracks you added in the first place (since doing so will not bring the free space back up to the critial 4GB limit).  Then you can use the rest of the space and fill it up until full. Just remember, all you need to do is keep the free space to less than 4GB and you'll be fine. 

P.S. I don't want to get you too excited but my sources tell me that there could be a new release that fixes this any day now.  Ok, maybe a week. But still, they say it's coming.

J.T.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2006, 03:28:09 AM »
Used the Sandisk Ultra II 4GB with no problems of any kind (at least memory related).
Socks are overrated.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 04:01:36 AM »

The problem with the MicroTrack is that when the free space on any media is over approx 4GB it get's confused about how much free space there really is. What you need to do is put on enough files or audio tracks to lower the free space to under 4gb to initially avoid the bug. Then do some actual audio recording. As you fill up the media with these new tracks you can then delete the filler tracks you added in the first place (since doing so will not bring the free space back up to the critial 4GB limit).  Then you can use the rest of the space and fill it up until full. Just remember, all you need to do is keep the free space to less than 4GB and you'll be fine. 

P.S. I don't want to get you too excited but my sources tell me that there could be a new release that fixes this any day now.  Ok, maybe a week. But still, they say it's coming.

J.T.

Hopefully that's true.  I experienced this bug first-hand tonight and couldn't record the entire set.  Missed the last 5-8 minutes of Animal Collective's set and didn't get any of their performance of "Purple Bottle".  I'm not too mad but it is rather annoying.

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »

Craig

Ok, I'm confused about the large price differences on this site between say, a 4GB Transcend 120X for $225, and a slower 4gb card like 4GB Lexar Media 80X for $441!  Or in the 8GB category, we see 8GB Transcend 120X for $439, but then 8GB Lexar Media 40X Pro Digital Camera Compact Flash Memory
for an incredible $870!  So, double the price for half the speed? Why is one manufacturer so much cheaper, not to mention faster, if the technology is basically the same from everybody?  That 8GB 120X card is awefully tempting, given it's only a little more money than the most expensive 4GB stuff. 

I'll take it one step further.  Can someone explain what the 80x vs 133x actually is and what it does? 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=5575

B&H Photo has 4gb 133x Lexar cards for $269.99 and 4gb 80x cards for $349.99.  I can't see any difference between the two except the "speed", and I thought higher was better.  What am I missing here?  Thanks.

Offline Chris K

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:50 PM »
i use a 6gb microdrive and have never used the "dummy" file....never needed one, never experienced this bug

at 24/48 the max recording time shows over 5 and 1/2 hrs. you just have to keep in mind that at the 1hr 55min mark (2gb) you will need to start a new file. to do this hit the red record button. a pop-up will show up on the display saying "writing file" and when the pop-up goes away hit record again and a new file will start. total time lost in my experience is about 6 seconds.

now, at 24/96 you will only get about 50min to the 2gb limit.

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 02:51:05 PM »
i use a 6gb microdrive and have never used the "dummy" file....never needed one, never experienced this bug

at 24/48 the max recording time shows over 5 and 1/2 hrs. you just have to keep in mind that at the 1hr 55min mark (2gb) you will need to start a new file. to do this hit the red record button. a pop-up will show up on the display saying "writing file" and when the pop-up goes away hit record again and a new file will start. total time lost in my experience is about 6 seconds.

now, at 24/96 you will only get about 50min to the 2gb limit.

This interests me.  Are you running a different firmware than the latest version?  And are you recording via S/PDIF or TRS??

Offline Chris K

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
version 1.2.0 and either trs or coax in

-Elvis Presley

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »
SanDisk Ultra II 4GB - 24/48, never any problems

Lexar Pro 80x 2 GB - 24/48, never any problems

PNY 1 GB - 24/48, never any problems

Dane Elec 4GB - various problems with settings as low as 16/44.1. I would stay away from these cards  for the MT
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »
fwiw, I have experienced a snafu. I recorded a show on friday, with the MT, opened it up, transfered the file to the hd. I can't open the file with sound forge or cdwav. I have been using the MT as a portable hd though in the downtime, pushing folders of flac and shn files on it from one cpu to the next. maybe this has/had something to do with it.

Oh yeah, kingston 4g 45x card, spdif in, 16/44.1, internal battery
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »
I can't open the file with sound forge or cdwav.

Maybe try re-opening the file as RAW (dunno if SF or CDWave can do this...I know CEP/Audition can) and re-building the header by then doing a Save As and specifying the appropriate WAV attributes?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sparkjockey

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2006, 07:52:59 AM »
Sandisk Extreme III 2GB - 24/48, no problems.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 67 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com