Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on mastering an acoustic show  (Read 6138 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Advice on mastering an acoustic show
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
I just limit the ever loving fuck out of it (setting my thresh about at the upper limit of the music) aaaand done. I can usually hear fades before/after songs and I find the total change in dynamics a little disconcerting. Clapping is louder than quiet music, so I'll let it stay that way to a certain extent

Same here

I prefer dynamic compression above a certain threshold to hard limiting, but otherwise basically the same principle here.
I know we have gone over this dynamic compression thing many times- do you have a TS thread and/or link for "simple" instructions to use dynamic compression? I'd like to try it.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:48 PM »
depending on who the artist is, I could do it and give you a conceptual plan for future shows, maybe others could try, you could compare results?

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
I know we have gone over this dynamic compression thing many times- do you have a TS thread and/or link for "simple" instructions to use dynamic compression? I'd like to try it.

I do not, and the exact instructions are going to vary depending on your editing software. The basic principle, though, is the same: Pick a threshold (which in this case will be the peak level of most of the music), and above that change the "slope" of the input/output ratio. Something like a 3:1 ratio is usually good for reducing stray outliers like especially loud snare hits, and you can go even higher than that if all you're doing is reducing loud claps.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »

I do not, and the exact instructions are going to vary depending on your editing software. The basic principle, though, is the same: Pick a threshold (which in this case will be the peak level of most of the music), and above that change the "slope" of the input/output ratio. Something like a 3:1 ratio is usually good for reducing stray outliers like especially loud snare hits, and you can go even higher than that if all you're doing is reducing loud claps.
Thanks, as I typed it and hit post, I thought to add the software I use (Audacity), but then thought there was some basic conceptual aspects to it which I would like to know. That is what you described- THANKS!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »
^ Just look it up on youtube or something, there's an abundance of how to videos on compression/limiting/any other processing you could ever want.

I also tend to like Sound on Sound articles for good quick explanations

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com