Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Analog set up  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Analog set up
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2019, 06:16:51 AM »
Type I tape has a characteristic distortion which is often sought-after in order to recreate a "classic" sound. Note that most studio recordings on analog tape were done with (professional quality, wide) Type I tape.

Essentially, Type I tape distortion on peaks sounds euphonic, and you can use it effectively as a limiter in recording situations.

Chrome and Metal tape don't sound good when they distort, but they do provide substantially higher dynamic range. It can, and often is, argued that Rock & Roll and other forms of loud music can be recorded just fine with the level of peak distortion Type I provides. Type II and IV are quieter, but may not sound as rockin' when you hammer the levels.

Yes - and I would argue that PA rock has a rather limited dynamic range - and can benefit from the "smash" at the top.

As for the quiet - that's what the DOLBY C is for - it really works well, especially with copious amounts of gain.

I did an experimental comparison a few years ago, that was posted here - but I had to move the files.  If I can find the files, I'll put them back on my server.

I'm not going to say it was impossible to spot the digital sourced recording - but it wasn't a blowout!

I did one with cassette, normal tape and Dolby C and another with an old AKAI reel to reel.

I also tend to think the D5s VU+Peak metering led to, generally, too conservative level settings.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:19:06 AM by Life In Rewind »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Re: Analog set up
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 07:27:27 PM »
I started with a D3 and cut a few sets during the flip. I’m. On to a d8. Wish I’d kept the D3.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com