Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church Audio CA-9100 External Power  (Read 3685 times)

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
Church Audio CA-9100 External Power
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
I'm on some sort of radio shack binge lately. 

I'd read the posts about using rechargeable 9v batt's in the CA-9100, but since I already have something like eight or more rechargeable battery/charger combos of all sorts, I didn't think I wanted to invest in more batteries and chargers.  I had this 9v NiMh RC battery that I formerly used to power an AD-20 but which was going unused lately:

Went to radio shack and got some larger butt connectors, a tamiya connector and a 9v battery cable, and got to crimping.  Note the polarity reversal since this 9v connector will simulate the battery top rather than the 9v connector in the preamp.  I shoulda put shrink tube around the butt connectors before I crimped everything together:

Plug the two together...

Hooked up the battery and got the battery cover most of the way back on.  This is where a small slot in the battery cover or pre housing might be handy, but I wasn't willing to start slicing away...

Turned it on - light comes on like it should:

Entire cable stows away in the battery compartment:

So maybe it would have been smarter to check with Chris before putting 9.6v into this unit, rather than the 9v spec'd, but everything seems to be working so far (fingers crossed that Chris doesn't tell me I'm an idiot after reading this)

Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Church Audio CA-9100 External Power
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »
I'm on some sort of radio shack binge lately. 

I'd read the posts about using rechargeable 9v batt's in the CA-9100, but since I already have something like eight or more rechargeable battery/charger combos of all sorts, I didn't think I wanted to invest in more batteries and chargers.  I had this 9v NiMh RC battery that I formerly used to power an AD-20 but which was going unused lately:

Went to radio shack and got some larger butt connectors, a tamiya connector and a 9v battery cable, and got to crimping.  Note the polarity reversal since this 9v connector will simulate the battery top rather than the 9v connector in the preamp.  I shoulda put shrink tube around the butt connectors before I crimped everything together:

Plug the two together...

Hooked up the battery and got the battery cover most of the way back on.  This is where a small slot in the battery cover or pre housing might be handy, but I wasn't willing to start slicing away...

Turned it on - light comes on like it should:

Entire cable stows away in the battery compartment:

So maybe it would have been smarter to check with Chris before putting 9.6v into this unit, rather than the 9v spec'd, but everything seems to be working so far (fingers crossed that Chris doesn't tell me I'm an idiot after reading this)

You are fine up to 14 volts anything after that is getting really close to the max of one of the caps inside the preamp for the mic bias. This puppy should run forever on that pack lol.. If you want send it back to me and I will put in a jack for you for the external pack with a switch that can switch back and forth between internal and external.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Church Audio CA-9100 External Power
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 02:08:22 PM »
i run my 9100 off of a similar battery setup.

i ran it for 14 hours straight at a festival, lent it to a friend who put about 6 more hours on it before i recharged it....and that was only as a precaution.  i probably could have ran it for a while longer.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com