Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 with the ToddR Juicebox  (Read 5563 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
UA-5 with the ToddR Juicebox
« on: January 11, 2006, 01:21:46 PM »
So I got a Juicebox from the YS and I was going to use it for my MT but then I realized that it would be easier for me to run a USB battery pack for the MT and use the Juicebox with the UA-5 for open-taping.

So I guess my question is this:

I was reading the archive thread (here) about DIY RC battery packs and Brian mentioned that any of the 9.6v batteries could be used with a voltage regulator (which is what the Juicebox does).  If I wanted to use the Juicebox with my UA-5, what kind of connector would I have to procure/build in order to go from the battery to the Juicebox?  For instance, if I wanted to use a Wal-Mart battery, how would I convert that connection to what the Juicebox uses?  Would it the same tutorial as seen in this how-to?

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: UA-5 with the ToddR Juicebox
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 01:35:33 PM »
No juice box is required to just run the UA5, it runs from 7-12volts.  You could use the Juicebox to provide 5volts to the microtrack and 7-12volts to the UA5 and only have a single battery to deal with.

Walmart takes an adaptaplug "B" from radioshack
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 01:40:33 PM »
No juice box is required to just run the UA5, it runs from 7-12volts.  You could use the Juicebox to provide 5volts to the microtrack and 7-12volts to the UA5 and only have a single battery to deal with.

Walmart takes an adaptaplug "B" from radioshack

I dunno if the one I'm getting has the outputs for two different devices or not... I guess I'll have to ask BagTagSell which one it is.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 02:08:41 PM »
*some* have dual output

*edited cuz Im stoopid* I was thinking of the Bumblebee VR box
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:32:35 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 02:20:04 PM »
Ok, cool.  I wasn't aware of that.

So is it safe to assume that I can use the Wal-Mart battery I linked in the first post?  I'd have to make an adapter to run it to the input on the Juicebox (using the adaptaplug Fozzy mentioned) but I should be good to go after that, right?

Though I suppose I'd have to make a cable to run from the Juicebox to the UA-5 as well.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 03:24:25 PM »
The Juice Box does not necessarily have two outputs.  I make them customized for the different applications.  Some only have an input and a 5v output.  Some have an input, a pass-through voltage output, and a 5v output.  Some have an input and two 5v outputs.  Sorry, I don't keep good enough records to know which Bagtag has.

And I'm not sure if I'm understanding you right, but you can't use a JuiceBox to power a UA5.  A UA5 takes 9v input (not sure of the exact range) and the JBox supplies 5v.  Some customers use a JuiceBox with a pass-thru output to power a UA5 and also a JB3/MT off the same 9v battery, but that is somewhat different.  If you are only using a UA5, there is no need for the JBox.

As to cables, I can obviously make them for you, but in general, the JBox uses center-positive DC coaxial plugs, size 5.5mm/2.1mm (adaptaplug M) and the walmart battery takes 4.0mm/2.1mm (size B).
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »
I think I'm just fuzzy on the whole remote powering business.

Ideally, I'd have an external battery for the MT so I could tape three-set shows and an external battery for the UA-5 to match.  I'm worried that I'm going to buy the wrong thing and end up frying my UA-5 or my MT or both.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 03:55:46 PM »
The MT needs 5v, the UA5 needs about 9v.  If you are using separate batteries for each and plan on using the USB battery pack for the MT, then all you would need for the UA5 is the 9.6v RC battery pack, or alternatively a 9v walmart li-ion battery.  No need for a Juice Box. 

If you wanted instead to run both the UA5 and MT off one battery, a JuiceBox with a pass-thru voltage output (for the UA5) coupled with a 9.6v RC battery pack or a 9v walmart li-ion would work.  I don't know whether the JBox Bagtagsell has has a pass-thru voltage out, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Hopefully this clears it up a bit.  If you're not all too sure about this stuff, you should be extra careful if you are wiring up batteries or cables because you probably could fry something.  In particular, the UA5 uses a center-negative/sleeve positive orientation, which is backwards of most equipment that runs on center-positive/sleeve-negative.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 04:09:33 PM »
Isnt the UA5 protected against polarity reversal so you wont fry it?  I thought I heard that somewhere
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 05:50:55 PM »
The MT needs 5v, the UA5 needs about 9v.  If you are using separate batteries for each and plan on using the USB battery pack for the MT, then all you would need for the UA5 is the 9.6v RC battery pack, or alternatively a 9v walmart li-ion battery.  No need for a Juice Box. 

If you wanted instead to run both the UA5 and MT off one battery, a JuiceBox with a pass-thru voltage output (for the UA5) coupled with a 9.6v RC battery pack or a 9v walmart li-ion would work.  I don't know whether the JBox Bagtagsell has has a pass-thru voltage out, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Thanks for the advice.  If I've got this right, I could run each device on their own 9v wal-mart li-ion (the MT with the Juicebox and the UA-5 with just a cable adapter).  Is that correct? The Juicebox will regulate the voltage from 9v to 5v so the MT doesn't fry and the UA-5 is just fine with the native 9v.

In particular, the UA5 uses a center-negative/sleeve positive orientation, which is backwards of most equipment that runs on center-positive/sleeve-negative.

This is why I fear battery power and screwing up.  This sort of stuff right here.  I might alter the sales order I have with you to include some 9v Wal-Mart battery adapters (one to go from a battery to the Juicebox and one to go from a battery to the UA-5).  I'm really worried that I'll screw up and fry my relatively expensive piece of gear.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »
i just wanted to say i would recommend a JB to anyone running 2 devices
i run the jb3 and ua5 off one battery and it makes life much easier imo
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 12:37:51 AM »
I bought a battery tonight because I was coming up with zilch on the Interbutt and I sort of need one soon.

I went to Radio Shack (more like Rat Shack, am I rite?) and bought a 9v Li-ion battery from them.  It looks pretty much exactly like the Wal-Mart batteries of yesteryear:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2146432&cp

The battery comes with all the fixins' you'd expect.  A wall wart, a cord to go from the battery to the device, and some adapter plugs.  I was told that the UA-5 needs the B adapter but this battery only comes with adapters labeld U, G, H, and J.  Am I correct in assuming that if I go back to Radio Shack tomorrow, I can pick up a B adapter (or two) and it will work properly with this battery?  I'm assuming this battery is just a generic Radio Shack brand and if I get the B adapter I'll be all set, right?

I just don't want to fry my UA-5.  Someone console me here.

EDIT: I'm looking at some pictures from the Adaptaplug line and it's not convincing me that this will work.  All of the Adaptaplug dongles have two-pin connectors on the cord-side and my cord is a single pin deal... now I'm just confused.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 12:40:43 AM by mojomonkee »

Offline Todd R

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 02:21:58 AM »
Hmm, I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound promising.  There are a few different configurations of these li-ion batteries.  Some I've seen have had the two pin adapter plugs like Ratshacks adaptaplugs.  Others are like the one you're describing. 

Forgetting about finding an adapter that fits both the RS Li-ion battery cable and the UA5, if the adapters on the cable you have are what I'm thinking, you cannot reverse the polarity on those type of adapters.  Remember the li-ion battery will be such that it provides a center-positive voltage, and the UA5 needs center-ground, so you will need to have your cable reverse polarity so that the +9v on the center-pin of the battery is directed to the outer shield of the UA5 and the ground is directed to the center.

You might need to give up on the cable that came with the battery and go to RS and get an adaptaplug extension cable and fit it on one side with adaptaplug B to fit the battery and adaptaplug M to fit the UA5 (and remember to reverse the polarity).

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 02:42:26 AM »
I use 3 x 3300mah 7.2v packs tied together to form ONE 9900mah pack, here is the cord i use, its a custom made 3-prong RC adapters>XLR for my leegeddy 'juicebox/vr box'

works great and is hot-swappable when batteries are getting low

im sure toddr would have no problem making you one ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 02:48:12 AM »
You might need to give up on the cable that came with the battery and go to RS and get an adaptaplug extension cable and fit it on one side with adaptaplug B to fit the battery and adaptaplug M to fit the UA5 (and remember to reverse the polarity).

As long as all hope on this battery isn't dead, then I'm somewhat pleased.

Here's a lil' short story of what I've got that came with the battery, though: http://iamserio.us/files/radioshackalack.jpg

I'll go back to Radio Shack tomorrow and see about getting that B plug with an extension and an M for the UA-5 end.  Just to be sure that the battery I have uses the B adapter, here is what the battery-end of the included cord looks like: http://iamserio.us/files/bplug.jpg

Does that look like the B adapter?

Offline Todd R

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 03:01:54 AM »
Yeah, that's what I thought. Can't change the polarity on that type of cable.  Sorry, can't tell from a pic what size the plug you need is.  Bring the battery in when you go to RS, but I'm betting B.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 12:07:35 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought. Can't change the polarity on that type of cable.  Sorry, can't tell from a pic what size the plug you need is.  Bring the battery in when you go to RS, but I'm betting B.

Ok, no big deal.  I can go back to Radio Shack and get the adapters and replacement cable today.

As far as getting the correct end for the battery... there's more to it than just making it fit right?  I'm looking at the diagram for the B plug on Radio Shack's website and it has the same side-notches that the battery-end of my cable (image) so I'm pretty sure it will work, but Radio Shack has dozens of these lil' guys.  Don't want to plug in the wrong one and shock the crap out of the battery.

As far as reversing the polarity for the plug ("M", right?) that goes into the UA-5, that should be as simple as putting the adaptaplug on the two-prong cable in a reversed fashion, right?  I"m guessing each prong has its own current so if I put the adaptaplug on the cable backwards, the polarity will reverse.  At least that's my understanding of basic electronics.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 12:23:45 PM »
As long as it fits, you should be good.  Sizes M and N are somewhat hard to tell apart (both M and N size plugs will fit in a size N socket, but a M in an N socket will only work intermittently.  N won't fit in a M socket though.)  But there are any close but not quite there alternatives for the smaller plug size on the battery.  So if it fits, it's good.

Yep, just reverse the tip in the socket to reverse polarity.  In fact, the cable might have a "+" on one side of the socket and a "-" on the other, and the adaptaplug will be labelled with a "tip".  Line up the "tip" to the "-" and you'll have center-negative polarity like the UA5 needs.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 12:26:09 PM »
Yep, just reverse the tip in the socket to reverse polarity.  In fact, the cable might have a "+" on one side of the socket and a "-" on the other, and the adaptaplug will be labelled with a "tip".  Line up the "tip" to the "-" and you'll have center-negative polarity like the UA5 needs.

Thanks for the reassuring walkthrough.  I'll go back to Radio Shack today and get these cables and if it all works out... I'll get another to work with my MT and the Juicebox (which I'm sure will be a whole different hornets nest of adaptaplugs and whatnot).

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »
Also, one more bump for this quick question:

If I'm reversing the polarity for the UA-5's M adaptaplug (Tip = Neg, Blank = Pos), then the battery's end should be Tip = Pos and Blank = Neg, right?  That should be the regular setup I imagine.

EDIT: plugged it all in and it powered on just dandy.  I'm going to let it run and drain the battery just to make sure.

Thanks for the help ToddR! You're the man!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 12:41:25 AM by mojomonkee »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.298 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com