Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Repair or replace Event 20/20P monitors?  (Read 6024 times)

Offline greatape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
Repair or replace Event 20/20P monitors?
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »
I've had a pair of Event 20/20P studio monitors for over a decade. I think I paid nearly $800 for them and have always been happy with their performance. One of the monitors contains an amp that powers the other passive speaker. I think it may have been zapped in a storm the other night. When I flip on the power the monitor that contains the amp just buzzes loudly, while no sound comes out of the passive monitor. Do you think this is something that can be repaired at a reasonable price or should I consider purchasing new monitors?
Any recommendations for anything comparable under $400, preferably much less?
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Repair or replace Event 20/20P monitors?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
I've had a pair of Event 20/20P studio monitors for over a decade. I think I paid nearly $800 for them and have always been happy with their performance. One of the monitors contains an amp that powers the other passive speaker. I think it may have been zapped in a storm the other night. When I flip on the power the monitor that contains the amp just buzzes loudly, while no sound comes out of the passive monitor. Do you think this is something that can be repaired at a reasonable price or should I consider purchasing new monitors?
Any recommendations for anything comparable under $400, preferably much less?
That should be fixable.. I would recommend that the amp gets rebuilt both sides and if this is a two way amp meaning separate high and low amps.. I would rebuild them all. This means that you should end up with a matched set of Left Right speakers at least as far as the amps are concerned. If you replace one part like an Output amp or transistor you end up having one side perform better than the other. I also suggest you leave it off that hum you are hearing could be DC and that can damage your speakers quickly. Any good electronics tech should be able to do this job. Look for someone that does audio amp repairs for pro audio. Most large sound companies have guys on staff that can do that work. You can also contact the distributor for the product if they are still in business to get a recommended place to send them. Labor should not be more than 2 hours and parts depending on what discrete amps or transistors its using inside $50 to $100
While you are inside get the tech to check the main filter caps.. It could be that this is NOT an amp problem but a power supply problem if thats the case the repair should be pretty cheap. If you can verify the speakers work and they are NOT damaged by all means I would fix it. I think we throw things out two quickly nowadays. We should fix more things and keep them out of landfills.
Good luck

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »
Talk to Paul at Pro Digital Inc.,  700 Park Way. Ste. B.,  Broomall, PA 19008 ,  (610) 353-2400            Monday-Friday: 10 A.M. - 6:30 P.M. (EST)

sales@prodigitalinc.com

I am pretty sure he rebuilds these amps.  He did a Sony M1 rebuild for me back in the day.  quick turn around and reasonably priced. 

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.
I had it off and on for about a minute while I tried to troubleshoot (checked cables, tried different power outlet). I hope I didn't damage that speaker.  The passive speaker works fine if I hook it up to another source. I'll have to open up the powered one to try that, but it's sealed up tight.  Very solidly built.

I'd like to get it repaired near me so I don't have to ship it but I'll check with the guy in Penn. Thanks!
My Videos:

Audio:

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:00:49 AM »
Oh and I forgot to recommend a replacement. I would go with either the KRK RP6 or RP8's.  I have the RP6's and they absolutely rock.  They can be had for 400$ a pair new. The RP8'S I think run 500$ new....  You can't go wrong with either. 

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »
Just before I shipped this to Pro Digital I found a great local tech. 
$116 and they sound good as new.
My Videos:

Audio:

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com