Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pioneer PL 10 project  (Read 9867 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Pioneer PL 10 project
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »
So, I am under going a new project. I will be modifying a vintage Pioneer Pl 10. Below is a picture of what the deck looks like. I am going to damp the tone arm with shrink tubing. This is something I've done with other arms like this with excellent results. The tone arm will also be rewired, with RCA and a ground connection added to the back of the plinth. This way I can decide on what cable I want to use. I've ordered a Denon DL 103......for that complete vintage take. I am hoping to have a custom. solid wood, cherry plinth made by a friend. If he can't do it I will remove the vinyl veneer and put real wood veneer on the plinth. I have already made a custom mat for the platter, which is made of shelf liner and leather. This is one of my favorite combinations. I'll finish it off with some new footers........I'm not sure if cones or rubber feet will be the best, so I'll need to experiment. I should have it completed by the beginning of the year and will post pictures and report on the sound.

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
Re: Pioneer PL 10 project
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
That table is a beauty.  I wouldn't change a thing!
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
The plinth has vinyl veneer, which screams out at you. A slight mod to this will add both to the sound and visual appeal. The basic platform of this table is good. It is belt drive and manual. All the stuff I like in a table. The arm is a bit of a compromise but I think I can squeeze a bit more out of it by damping it some more. Rewiring won't hurt, as well as new footers. I'm into it for the fun. It won't replace my Well Tempered Benz combo but it will be fun to tweak and work through it.

I'm not looking for a table, per say, but rather some cheap thrills. Then when I'm done Ill sell it for what I have into it.

I'll keep you posted. The cartridge is on the way.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:11:29 PM by raymonda »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 12:10:30 AM »
Looks like a cool project. ;D  Marking thread to watch the progress.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:30:27 PM »
raymonda, great ideas and I love it. I have an old Denon DR330 which should only need a cartridge to make it work. I wish I could motivate and do it so I could listen to some of the 1200 LPs I collected (and never sold!) in the 70s and 80s.
Thanks for sharing the project with us.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:05:56 PM »
Table arrived today. Working on it now. Should have it done by Xmas.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
Now that x-mas is behind me I have a bit more time to post what has happened so far.

Plinth: When the table arrive the plinth was very weak and the left front/back corners had come unglued. Outside of this the table looked as described when purchased. Therefore, I had to re-glue and brace the plinth. After it was dried I beefed up the bracing by adding 8 (L) braces to the inside.....making the plinth much more ridged. I also dampened the plinth further by adding blue tack to all the corners and by adding 3/4 birch plywood to the bottom. Now the plinth is seriously ridged. The vinyl came off with a heat gun and under it was some wood veneer, which I put polyurethane over. The plinth looks much better but also has more mass and is more ridged. 

Platter: I took some steel wool and cleaned it up. Looks better but buffing it out would add to the look.

Matt: I bought green glove leather and shelf liner and made a matrix mat that starts with the liner touching the platter and the leather over it. This is a great combination that can do wonders.

Tonearm: clear shrink tubing was applied to the arm tube. This is another cheap tweak that can dampen resonance, thus cleaning up the sound. I also applied rubber damping material to parts of the tonearm to further control resonance issues. This is a budget tonearm, made to a price point and compromises were made in its construction.

Tonearm cable: The cable in the tone arm remains intact. I did rewire, from the tonearm wires, new cables that are now terminated to RCA jacks on the back. I used teflon/silver litz  cable and rhodium plated RCA's. Now I can run any cables I want from the table.

Turntable platform: Added rubber damping material to strategic places to dampen the platform.

Springs: New foam was added within the springs, since the old foam had rotted.

Headshell and cartridge: I had ordered a Denon dL 103, which came with a headshell. It was advertised as having 150 hours on it but when it arrived it was damaged and looked to be abused. It was sent back for a refund. Thank god for paypal!

Headshell and cartridge part 2: Bought a cherry wood headshell, which should work well and look nice on the table. I also bought a Shure M97xe, which I was reluctant to do so at first. I would have rather had the Denon 103 but a new one would have cost me more than I wanted to put in the table and would not have went with the table, when and if I sold it. Feeling that a future buyer would want something that was "turn key" I opted for the Shure. I thought about a Denon 110 but it would have been only $40 less than the 103.....which means that I would have just spent the extra for the 103, thus leading me back to the resale turn key issue.

I expect these items to arrive next week.

Footers: I have some nice aircraft grade aluminum footers coming and should be here by the first of the year.

Stand/Shelf: I have a wall hanging shelf coming, which it will be placed on. Further isolating it from vibrations.

Record Clamp: I bought a Michell clamp, which is reasonably priced and creates a tight interface between the record and the platter. It eliminates warps in records.

Belt: Old belt was worn so a new belt was bought and installed.

After all the remaining items arrive I'll take some pictures and post them here.

Listening: Well, I can't wait to give the table a spin and hear what it can do. After it is complete I will give it a serious review and post the outcome here.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
Thanks for the update, raymonda.  Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »
Both cartridge and headshell arrived today and were installed. A few minutes of quick listening shows promise. Right out of the gate, and without any break in, I'm impressed with the sound of the shure m97ex. My fears were not well found but rather some reviews were mixed, which gave me caution. What I'm hearing is a nice sounding cartridge. Right now I'm listening to my Sheffield labs copy of terrapin station. With headphone all is well. Headphones can bring out the worst in vinyl. Sort of like a magnifying glass. I know I'll be tweaking the set up further. But it sounds like I'm about 85 percent there.

Tomorrow I'll post pictures.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »
Okay. so my kids are asleep and I've played a bit more with the table. I adjusted the over hang a bit more and dressed some internal wires to decrease hum. Sounds better and getting there. It sounds much better than the PL 512 and AT 440ML I worked on a few years back. Anyway here are a few shots, however, these are not graduation pictures yet, mind you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:26:00 PM by raymonda »

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 09:26:16 AM »
Cool. looks nice.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Beautiful!  Nice project!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »
Sweet! Nice eye for details. I like the looks of the cables/connectors. Thanks for sharing your project with us.    8)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
Thanks but it is not finished yet. I still have the footers to install and where I added the birch plywood to the plinth I'm going to trim the base in cherry to finish it off. It should be completed by next week.

At this time, sonically it is where it is going to be. Today I trimmed some of the internal tonearm cable and redressed all cables in order to make it as quiet as possible. Now it is completely hum free and whisper quiet.

I've listened to a lot of classic warhorse rock albums, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead. All of which have been on premium vinyl and, although, it doesn't match my wtrp/Benz combo it does a lot right. I think it might be a long term keeper unless I get the itch to take on another project.

Lots of fun!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »
Footers came in today and were installed. The trim goes on this weekend.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com