Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre showdown: bmp2+ UA-5 or Oade CM R-44?  (Read 3990 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Pre showdown: bmp2+ UA-5 or Oade CM R-44?
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:08:30 PM »
i've never done a heads up, mainly because i'd also be comping the A/D sections as well, and that's not very scientific....

but anyway, i'm trying to gauge if it's worth keeping the UA-5 around as a backup to the V3 or not...

thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:10:19 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pre showdown: bmp2+ UA-5 or Oade CM R-44?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »
I have shy'd aay from modding my recording deck because I prefer to be able to put different pre's in front of it at different times. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
couldnt agree more, unless you NEVER use diff preamps
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:57:08 AM »
i've never done a heads up, mainly because i'd also be comping the A/D sections as well, and that's not very scientific....

but anyway, i'm trying to gauge if it's worth keeping the UA-5 around as a backup to the V3 or not...

thoughts?

I haven't run the UA-5, but given the other gear you have, and given that it's somewhat outdated and another box to carry, do you really think you'll ever use it?  I know I wouldn't, even if there was some slight improvement in the sound provided by the UA-5 (which I don't know if there is).
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »

thoughts?

I haven't run the UA-5, but given the other gear you have, and given that it's somewhat outdated and another box to carry, do you really think you'll ever use it?  I know I wouldn't, even if there was some slight improvement in the sound provided by the UA-5 (which I don't know if there is).

well, i don't carry it to shows.  i actually lost it in a move and rediscovered it the other night.  lol

shows how long i've not used it.

but then again, it's not like it's worth a whole lot these days, maybe i'll just keep it just in case and maybe loan it out to friends or something.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »

thoughts?

well, i don't carry it to shows.  i actually lost it in a move and rediscovered it the other night.  lol

but then again, it's not like it's worth a whole lot these days, maybe i'll just keep it just in case and maybe loan it out to friends or something.

Since you've got multiple mics, you may have occasion to run a separate rig and the UA-5 could come in handy then.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:48:56 PM »

thoughts?

Since you've got multiple mics, you may have occasion to run a separate rig and the UA-5 could come in handy then.

true
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
Also theres the fact that you're not probably going to get much of a return on it.  The prices on these have been pretty low recently.  Unless you need a little bit of quick cash and aren't struggling for space (though not like it takes up much), I'd say just hang on to it.  Could also sell it later to help fund another purchase when that arises.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
i love my OCM R-44.  it gives me the flexibility to go straight in and use the phantom power on the R-44, or i can use different pres for a variety of flavor.

Marshall7

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

Exactly.  Or if you want to run 4 channels into the R-44, with two separate external preamps.  The only think keeping me from doing that is that I don't have enough DVD batteries to power everything. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com