Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Q  (Read 1503 times)

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Newbie Q
« on: June 22, 2007, 09:35:48 PM »
Hey Now,
 I am new to this site and have a couple questions, I searched the forums but haven't found what I was looking for. Anyway, I recently (this week) upgraded to a Marantz pmd-660. I have an ART PhantomII, and an AD-20 Denecke from my previous rig. Is there any benefit to using the ART PhantomII over the Marantz pmd660 internal 48vphantom power? And what the hell do I do with the Denecke at this point? do they resell well (mint condition)?
Thanks for helpin =D
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: Newbie Q
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 02:11:34 PM »
Well, first congratulations for finding your way to your new home.  The answer to your question is less than simple.  The PMD 660 has phantom power, so conceivably could be used as a one-box system, but there are issues with the quality of the preamps in the unit.  You may want to consider unloading the ART and the Denecke, and getting a decent preamp, which will greatly improve your overall sound.  Search the Yard Sale, as Deneckes regularly come and go for an idea of prices.  Then there is always fleabay.  +T for moving up in the world.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Newbie Q
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the response, I read the PMD-660 posts and understand that the preamp is not desirable, and I am intending to get either the busman or oade mod for it in the future(fall). So I take it I won't save anything using the ART instead of the marantz internal phantom(ie the batteries in the marantz are capable enough to power phantom for extended period of time(5-6hours)).

edit: I just read up on the marantz, and realized I would need a preamp that used the line in and not the xlr's.

thanks for the advice =D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 05:30:58 PM by GDfan »
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com